Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wrecked the Diamond T IN the garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Apr 17, 2013.

1. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

^^^^^^^ Best solution yet is this brake switch. We can blame lokar all we want but when all is said and done you should ALWAYS start a vehicle sitting in the drivers seat with BOTH feet inside the vehicle.
    I have to lecture my students on this all the time.

2. This where I am glad mopar put the switch in the transmission where it belongs AND you can start it in Park or Neutral.

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have been dreading opening this thread Brian I didnt want to see all your hard work being damaged....I finally got the courage to look today ,and am very glad that you are ok and the truck is repairable...it could have been much worse.

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks koolkemp, I'm looking at now as if I just bought a lightly damaged total for less than it's worth, and my insurance company is going to write a big check to fix it. And, it'll get done when it gets done. And even better, it didn't hit anything else in the croweded shop, plowing into the side of the '48 Pontiac convert would have been way, way worse. And, jscow, I wasn't intending to start it, which is no excuse, I forgot I'd left the key "On", so when I turned it, it started. Dumb, I know, but evidently, accidents happen.

Brian

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Rough estimate from my auto restorer pal $4,300 + bumper and misc. We also noticed a ding in the door I'd overlooked where it did indeed hit the woodstove door handle. The radiator had a puddle of coolant under it this morning, must have tweaked grill shell enough to make the lower tank leak. That's where it looked like it was coming from anyway...

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh man that sucks Brian, but, as others have said, at least you weren't hurt. Metal can be repaired or replaced.
    In the late '70s I worked in a heavy truck shop. Just as I walked in front of a truck that a co-worker was working on he hit the start switch, the truck lurched forward and crushed the workbench up to the wall. Missed me by about a foot. I still shake my head when I think about it. Talk about skid marks in the skivvies!

7. Weasel

Weasel

Best of luck getting her fixed Brian and thanks so very much for the heads up. Ron Francis will be getting my call Monday morning....

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

With all the posts saying they had similar issues with genie and LoKar switches Brian can
    expect to be served when some shyster files suit against them. I can hear the late night
    TV ads now........If you were injured or suffered property damage with a malfunctioning
    safety neutral switch from Gennie or Lokar call Duey, Cheatham and Howe at 1 800 Shifty

9. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Serviced my Lawn Tractor last Sunday and found out the neutral safety switch on IT went bad over the winter bad by crashing it into the front of my Fairlane.
    Fairlane is not as nice as the Diamond T and the damage is less severe, but I still get that feeling when I look at it.

10. castirondude

castirondude

I used to have an old lincoln and it always started in 1/4 turn. One day I wanted to sell it and this guy got in and he cranked and cranked and it wouldn't start. Turns out he was holding the brake pedal...??

I think just having a good neutral safety switch on the transmission is the best option. Having too many interlocks is a real pain. Have to have the key on to get out of park, have to be in park to start, have to be in park to remove the key, have to push the brake to get out of park, yada yada. I was thinking of taking the steering column apart on my newer vehicles to take a shot at removing all these interlocks.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I did not hook up the NSS on the Lokar shifter I put in my 66 F250,might be asking for trouble but the parking brake is always on when parked or working on it. I might see if I can use a factory NSS before I let anyone else drive it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I ALWAYS am in the car when I start it too, and ALWAYS have it in park, ALWAYS have a nss that works, untill I didn't do any of those things I ALWAYS do. Look what happend to my truck, and then explain why you "might" use a nss?

Brian

13. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Uggg!!! Well a least your safe. Is it an opportunity to improve?

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Only starting in park is why I did not hook up the Lokar NSS,until I get under the truck and see if a factory switch will still bolt on I will do what I done when it still has a manual trans and no switches.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was thinking about your situation on the road trip this morning and came up with wiring up a relay that will need a foot on the brake before the solenoid on the starter will work,my truck originally came with a manual trans and since the Lokar shifter kind of resembles the old 4 speed shifter I kept the clutch pedal in it so I can possibly attach a switch to the clutch pedal so it will only start when its pressed like modern manual trans vehicles even though it has a automatic now. I looked on my truck and with the Lokar shifter I cant add a factory NSS so I will have to use one of those two ideas if I decide to add a NSS so for now I will just have to try to remember to be smarter then the machine which is hard to do some days.

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Glad no body was hurt. Sorry the truck was. To add to what others have said, a good working NSS is a must. I, personally, have column shift using a GM column. It is wired to ONLY start in park. Just my idea of safety net.

17. greazy john

greazy john

not to hack this thread, but, saw your car at grand run... very nice in person..way cool.......

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What car is that, greasy john?

Brian

19. greazy john

greazy john

the green roadster thats in your avatar, or its twin...unless u sold it ..i don't keep up too well....anyway hi from beautiful tenn

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Ohhh, yeah. Now I see where you're from. I sold it to some guy down south last fall. Thanks, it's a fun car. Like my buddy said, "That will always be YOUR car!" The home made nss, a starter button on the gear shift bracket that the lever pushed in when in park, on the home made shifter (from the original '36 clutch pedal) ALWAYS worked on that one...

Brian

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  21. greazy john

greazy john

see i'm a little behind the times, yea that nss will always work on the shifter in the roadster.anyways,good luck with the Diamond T, glad your ok and like you we repair 'em

22. Brian,

Sorry about the diamond T, one of my dads friends built a dual cockpit roadster. They are big beasts everthing is scaled up.

I'd like to see your Lokar fix also. I've had a Lokar neutral saftey switch fall out of adjustment after using loctite, no damage (luckily) but freaked my wife out and she never drove the truck again.

Take care

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

How would a switch on a dummy clutch pedal help other than insuring you
    are in the car?

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Having gotten over the insult, the insurance appraisal over and the OK to start work, today I tackled the crumpled fender. I'm happy I haven't forgotten my basic body work skills, and can still swing a body hammer hard enough to stretch 18 ga. sheet metal back into shape. We'll see if I can still sling mud tomorrow.

I've got a few more pictures on my website; http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/

Attached Files:

25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

It'll look as good as new in no time!
    Your talents are on display again.
    Glad you're OK!
    Wishing the Diamond T a speedy recovery!
    KK

26. Glad to see you jumping right back on it!!!

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Continuing the jumping in, I got primer on the mangled sheet metal today. Holy Cow, is that stuff getting expensive! I spent almost $400 for a gallon of 2K primer, sandpaper, and some incidentals to fix this. Hopefully, Hagery will come through and reimburse me.

Attached Files:

28. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Every new build needs its 1st paint chip to break it in & make it roadworthy, so now you never worry about it again.

You're good to go! Drive the lugnutz off it.

SinglefingerSpeedShop.com

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks for the sentiment, but this was a pretty brutal "paint chip"! Maybe that's why I'm not fixing (for now) the chip in the left front fender and the hood... Warding off evil spirts?

Brian