Register now to get rid of these ads!

WouldyaCouldyaShouldyaDidya? 51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shifty Shifterton, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Basically, that's the question.

So 20 years ago you see a family member's project starting point. A stock 51 chevy 2 door business coupe. Haven't been back since, but recall being struck by it's shape and asked about it a few times at gatherings over the years. Nothing ever done, still stock, caught in a flood 10 years ago. Rough body before, rougher after.

Now the family member says you're the only person to ever express interest, it's gotta go. Make an offer, but it ain't worth much so money's not the issue.

The car's rough. That's the issue. If I were truly gonna do a 49-54 chevy right, would start with a nicer car given their modest cost. And even though this particular car has inspired many doodles and thoughts over the years.....not really my dream car. Probably 20 or 30 attainable cars on the list above it. But there is a weird appeal in this specific car, don't know why.

Because of it's condition......seems like that car is only good for one thing, but it's a pretty cool thing- ratty psuedo gasser. Straight axle, flip nose, sheetmetal floors, small tubs, rollcage, ladder bars- the whole deal. Something that could be certed and raced, and cruised. But totally stripped and using whatever chrome it's got (minus front bumper of course)

It'd have to be nasty in both senses of the word, because I won't live with a beat looking car that's slow. And I won't ever spend the money for brightwork, weatherstripping, interior, etc. Whole (minimal) budget is commited to acceleration.

I already got some parts- an engine, centersection, that kind of thing. Could wheel and deal the rest reasonably. Don't really have the time but hell, who does.

Maybe there's a good reason I don't seen many pre-55 chevy gassers?

Would ya?
    Should I?
    Did you already?
    :confused:
    Thanks for listening to my ramble. Thanks even more for responding with further ramblings.....

2. ig'nant

ig'nant

I'd love to be the gung-ho go for it type, but I don't think this story ends that way.

Get the car, get some good pics of you sitting in it making vroom vroom noises, and help it find another good home.

3. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

You have a plan, and sounds like you practically have the car. Go for it dude. Sounds like it will be a fun car.

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

chop and drop it. They make a good lookin hot rod. 3 or 4 inch chop and just lean the back glass forward.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Gonna pass on the chop, wrong car (in every way) for that mod.

Have talked to my primary car building bud. Described the situation, and he came up with the exact same rough vintage drag car-ish plan. Then offered up his garage stash, which is substantial. We've built cars as joint ventures before, and he's a reliable & reasonable partner. This should be a fun one.

So here's the big question-
    Would you leave the layout as-is and put a small backseat in so that my buddy can cruise with his family?
    Or take the single guy route, move the motor back under the dash and slide the seats back, making a 2 seater?

Family guy wants the 2 seater. Single guy wants the 5 seater. LOL.