Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would you trade? 32 5 window for 40 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Ive been looking for the right 40 Ford for a while and Ive looked at a bunch of coupes, sedans, and pickups but the right car just hasnt popped up. Now Ive got a guy with a decent 40 coupe pretty good overall shape, sbc chevy with stock drivetrain etc. and he wants to trade for my 32 5 window project. Never really thought about getting rid of it but its tempting to jump into a car that wouldnt take much to drive. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

nope... but its a personal choice. one you should make

3. I am going to put bias aside and ask you a simple question. Do you have real plans for the Deuce?

This is what I would have to do, if it were me.

If I didn't have any real plans of ever getting in the duece and motoring along then I would trade for the '40 otherwise I would hold onto the deuce until I finished it.

Tell you a story, a long time ago I had an old motor cycle that I had been traveling around on. I was down for a complete overhaul, bottom end was gone, needed paint etc. A fella came along and offered me his bike cheap and it was up and running, I thought I could sell my bike and get back on the road today. But then it occured to me that i had planned on building something pretty radical from my bike and hitting the road again. So I just kept my bike and finished what I had started.

4. alchemy

alchemy

If you are asking are the $ vs. $ equal, then we need more info. Your descriptions and pics don't show hardly any details. If you are asking can a 40 coupe be as cool as a 32 coupe, then yes they can be.

5. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

I personally like both,but if it was a 32 3 window i would diffently say keep it

6. I like 40 coupes,,I've even owned a couple but I wouldn't trade my 32 5W for one. HRP

7. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

no concrete plans for the coupe yet, its been on the back burner a long time. Its a typical east coast old hot rod body needs the floor replaced, its sits on an original chassis and I have most of the major pieces to put together. The Forty is a runner and wouldnt take much work to be on the road.

8. Yep..... But its a personal choice. One you should make.

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Need pics of the 40.

10. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Personally, the 40 is the top dog in my book, I was introduced to hot rodding because of a 40 coupe. as far as what you are asking?
    You say you have been looking for a 40? and here is one dropped in your lap? for no cash outlay? and it is a driver? need you ask any other questions?
    ya snooze, ya looze"

understand though, down the line when you see the 5 window done, you will kick yourself for trading it, but I would trade in a heartbeat, a running Kool car beats 2 unworked on projects in the back of the garage, anyday

11. belair

belair

right now-but I don't either.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If I owned a 32 5 window I think I would work on it every day till I died, finished or not.

Buy the 40 and keep the 32.

13. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I guess I am in the same camp as those who question your plans and timeline for the deuce. They are both iconic cars and the 40 sounds closer to being finished.

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

the 32 is way more valuable because it's way more Iconic than the 40.

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Those are both the good choices for hotrods but like the rest asked , are you going to do anything with the 32 in the very near future ? Also are you driving a hotrod right now ? My only issue with the 40 is that I am a Ford man and not a big fan of a Chev engine in a Ford at all , so I would pass on the deal . If it had a Ford engine I might consider it .
    I still would love to have the 32 you have to build the way I always wanted to build one . If I ever get very lucky to find one and have the money somehow in my hand , I would buy one ! I would get to working on that 32 so I would have lots of time enjoying the 32 for many years to come .
    If your not going to build that 32 then sell it or trade it for something you really want . Just make sure that what ever you decide that you are very happy with the deal you make .
    Just my opinion !

Retro Jim

16. I'm guessing you're thinking how nice it would be to have a closed car to go along with your roadster. You can build the 5W just as tight and comfortable as a '40 coupe. Keep it Louie.

Dave

17. How complete is your 32, or is whats in the picture what your talking about?

18. I have both (or almost with my avatar and I have a flattie powered 40 std coupe). My 40 will never be sold - period. If at all possible, buy the 40 but keep the 32.

If you can't do that and you are still undecided, the best decision is no decision and stay your present course with what you have. There are more "affordable" 40s around vs 32s IMHO.

19. In a heart beat. But I've never been a big '32 fan, except maybe a 3W. Always loved '40s though.

20. Tony

Tony

Your choices are my two all time favorite Fords...So it's not an easy choice..
    But with that said, i'd keep the 32.
    I tried selling my 32 5 window not too long ago and it didn't go. I now am extremely happy it did not. It would have been a move i would have regretted til the day i died. I would never be able to afford another..

While both body style's are still out there, it seem's 32's are a bit harder to find for reasonable money. 40's can still be bought at a fair price though.
    A buddy of mine literally just bought a complete and NICE 40 deluxe coupe for under 4K about 2 months ago, and i could have had it's stable mate for under 3K but i was too late..that one had a vintage olds motor between the rails too. granted both car's needed to be gone through, but you won't find a 32 5 window like them, for that money.

My opinion ( as worthless as it may be) is to keep the 32 and just keep looking for a 40.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do.
    Tony

21. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I'm a 32 guy so I'd go that way if it were me. But, here's a thought, how big are you ??
    5-windows are pretty tight for a tall and/or rotund guy so.... Lots more room in a 40

22. Bilt

Bilt

Do both cars have titles? That would help in deciding for me.

23. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I'm not even going to answer this one.........

24. chopo

chopo

well heres the skinny..... 32 = lots of time and money. i dont have much of either. so for me a car that i really like thats all ready to go.................... but thats just me

25. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I would keep the 32. Seems like you can make it the way you want. just being able to build the car myself would make me keep it. plus once its done it will be much more valuable. As stated I would try to purchase the 40 and keep the 32. In the end it boils down to what YOU want.

26. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Any other car I would say jump on it. But trading a duece??? If you really want a duece in the end it will be just that much harder to get back into one when you already have one sitting in your garage.

But, it sounds like you are more interested in a driver sooner than a duece in the end...

Just things to consider....

27. A Rodder

A Rodder

If it looks like your 32, not a chance.

Unless you show pics of the 40 or have an accurate description of it, this is an all but worthless discussion.

Tell us more about the 40.

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Look at it this way. They sell fake 32 bodies for over 20 grand but no 40s. Plus the fasted thing in valley was a 32 5 window not a 40.

29. cakes

cakes

Being a bigger guy I like bigger cars, I would go with the 40 in a heart beat, although when most think about hotrods they think about a deuce. I think we need an accurate description of the 40

30. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

go to; bob drake and see a re-pro 1940 body. or better yet, go to a major car show,s vending area and see it in person and talk to bob! he's been draging one around the country for two years showing it getting done.