Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you buy back you're first car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Can't, but going to re-create it as a husband and wife project. Bought it when I was 14 for $150. 1959 Studebaker Silver Hawk, black with red interior. Paint was faded but the interior was toast. Seems the cat lady who owned it let her cats live in it after the wiring caught fire and she parked it. Over the next two years I rebuilt the car from bumper to bumper will very little help. I even rebuilt the automatic trans by myself. Only got to drive it for six months when some kids thought it would be funny to remove the caution signs from a gas co dig. I drove into a six foot deep, three foot wide and twelve foot long hole. Ripped the front suspension right off the frame. Bent everything real bad. Took what I could use and scraped the rest.

Just started looking for a Hawk so I can finish it this time. Wife is really excited about helping me get this done as it's on my bucket list and after my fifth fight with cancer this year we figure it's time to get moving on this long held dream. Just need the base car to get started. We are looking and we know it's out there somewhere.
    Dan

2. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Bonneville Avanti Dan best of luck to you .I hope you get to find and finish that silver hawk.

[​IMG]

3. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still have mine. I think I am a hoarder

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. My first, no. The Second one, Yes. But they were both way OT.:)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. You guys sure are making this hard on me:eek: Wish I could have just saved all my old cars:confused: I will try not to let my current ('56 Ford) slip out of my hands.

6. It's pretty off topic for here:eek: Did have a 150 shot of nitrous, 3" headers, Corvette SBC, Posi, etc.

Now the previous owner re-did it and it's even nicer. Motor has since been stroked and bored and a candy paint job was done:(

7. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Ester Eddie,
    Thank you for the words of encouragement. I started wanting to re-create the Hawk when I first started my battle with cancer in 2005. This past seven years I have started this project several times only to have someone back out on a deal or ? So now with time not on my side I have decided to sell my prized possession, my 1952 Studebaker Camper in order to finance the build of the Hawk. No money left after the docs and hospitals got their share. So if I want to build the Hawk something has to go. I am excited to be looking for the car that will serve as the base for this extensive project. As soon as Photobucket gets working again I will post pictures of the car from 1968 and the model I have built as the inspiration for the build.
    Dan

8. green34ford

green34ford
    from Dixie

I am one of the lucky ones I still have mine. it's a 65 Mustang built a 351w back in the 70's out of a Mach 1. needs total restoration but sitting in the garage waiting. all the guy's I knew back in high school always say when I see them again never how you been" boy don't you wish you still had that Mustang" I can shock the crap out of them by saying Hell I still got it lol. I do fire it up to hear the ole Isky bump a lick setten there. heck now I want to go fire it up. wish I had the extra money to get on the road by spring
    lot's of memories and war story's.

9. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Dan Please do post pictures when you can I would like to see the model and car from 68.

10. 34 Hound

34 Hound

I still have my very first car. My dad and I bought it when I was 14... '28 Ford coupe. Bone stock in need of restoration. I restored it to show winning condition in 69&70.

Still looks good.

11. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Eddie,
    Here is the only surviving picture I have of my first car, the Hawk. Taken by my little brother at "Little Lions" our local sreet performance center in the San Fernando Valley in 1968 a few months before it was killed.
    [​IMG]
    I believe it had the 259 engine in it at this time. The 304 came a later.
    Dan

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right now I can't afford to buy back my first car if it did come up for sale. The asking price would be well over what I could come up with. The gent who bought it from me has put a ton of money in it. It's not Hamb friendly at the moment but could be with a wheel and tire change and having the bumpers chromed.

14. The one I REALLY want back was about my 8th or 9th car. I even have a "Wanted" post in the classifieds forum for it.
    Was a 57 Pontiac 2 door sedan I bought in '68 when I was home on leave from the army..cost a whole $250. Original 3 speed stick car with the low compression 347, 2 barrel.
    I swapped in a 1959 389, [303 HP] 4 barrel and a muncie 4 speed. Drove it, raced it, courted my first wife in it, got in trouble with it, loved it.

Attached Files: