Register now to get rid of these ads!

would this work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sephgato, Sep 7, 2009.

1. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

I am running a flathead V8 with a 3 speed that has the electronic overdrive hence is open drive. I am also running a 46 ford rear end that was a closed drive set up. I could do the obvious and buy an open drive conversion but that wouldnt be very traditional now would it?! here is my question: if I run a shortened torque tube with the shaft off the rear pinion, and fabricate a way to couple that to the slip yoke on the trans it would provide for movement with the suspension. and since I am using rear bones the rear should not actuate forward or back from acceleration, would this idea actually work?

2. Ouch, reading this post, made my brain hurt.
    You said - I could do the obvious and buy an open drive conversion but that wouldn't be very traditional now would it?
    The Ford 1/2 ton pickups had open drive, banjo rear ends. You can use one of these rearends. Don't worry about the traditional word, do the build however you want. Keeping everything simple, sometimes is the best thing to do.