Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would the real Jimmy Shine please stand up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasserlouie, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Hey guys, I have been wondering for years what is up with Jimmy Shine in the movie "Hollywood Knights" and the Jimmy Shine from So-Cal. What do they have in comman and WAS there really a Jimmy Shine that was famous back in the old days?

2. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I am frequently asked how Jimmy got nicknamed “Shine”. Certainly there are all kinds of stories, but the simple truth is “Jimmy Shine” is a lot easier to get by on than James Dennis Falschlehner. Nothing taken against the time honored family name considering Jimmy’s dad’s nickname is “Flinger”, I rest my case. At any rate, Jimmy and his hot rod family resided in Temple City, Ca during my tenure with Pete & Jake’s Hot Rod Parts. Little did I know that the guy who was responsible for a very cool ’34 3-window coupe and the fabled “Lunar Duner” (a forerunner of the monster truck phenomenon) was actually Jimmy’s dad Denny. Dad of course influenced the son and by age 14 he had finished a Gasser styled Chevy powered ‘40 Willys pickup. Jimmy bumped around for a while honing his skills building hot rods, customs and bikes. Then in 1997 I learned of Jimmy through a mutual acquaintance. All in all he had the exact profile I was looking for in a potential fabricator for the car shop. The word was if you can get past his tattoos and cocky attitude he’s your man. Well that was 9 years ago. He has gotten more tattoos and his attitude is only mildly tempered but the kid I hired has turned into quite a craftsman.

3. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

That came straight from Jimmys website.

4. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Flinger was one of my heroes in the 60s. I didn't know he built the "Lunar Duner". If I recall correctly, it was a Hillman Wagon powered by a 430 Lincoln with 8' airplane tires. Anyway, I thought it was Calverts. Hey. A lot has happened to my skull in 45 years. Wayno

5. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

"Flinger" stopped by my shop today. Denny Shine is the man! (Jimmys dad). He is rebuilding his hot rod from the late 50's early 60's, a really cool 34 coupe with a blown Olds.
    Jimmy White

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Concrete B

Concrete B

I didn't realize it ran in the family. I'm gonna have to look up Flinger

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone got some pics of the Lunar Duner? Cant find any.
    Doc.

8. Flinger

Flinger

Wayno is right!
    I am Denny "Flinger" Falschlehner. John Calvert owned and built the Lunar Duner. But, Ed Calvert, Ralph Hudson, Keith Patterson and myself helped on the build. We called it the "60 day wonder". 60 days to complete.

The body was a 1958 Helman, powered by a 430 Lincoln with a T98 Ford truck transmission, 2 speed transfer case. That gave 8 speeds forward - 2 reverse. The running gear was all out of a military 2 1/2 ton ammo carrier. It weighed 5,800 lbs and would pull a short wheelie.

The Lunar Duner was the second "Monster" vehicle that I know of that was registered for the street. The other was the "Black Rhino" owned by a guy in Laguna Beach. I think his name was Ralph, not sure of the last name.

Until next time...
    Flinger Lives

9. I love J.S. Tee-shirts.

10. Good to see Flinger on here! The straight scoop from the horses mouth is always cool.
    Did you finish the restore on the coupe that Jimmy White mentioned? Pics?

11. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Flinger and Jimmy are great fabricators and have an awesome family history of building cool rides. Can't wait to see the 34 finished. Both are two of my favorite builders so keep up the great work Flinger and Jimmy.

12. ronstowe

ronstowe

Here is a shot of my friend Randy Hall repairing a flat on the Lunar Duner at the Richfield Station in South Pasadena. I remember he got $8 for the repair which was 8 hours of wages then. The tires were from a C-130 cargo plane and were not quite as tall as some remember them. I have a couple more shots if I can find them

Attached Files:

• RJ2.JPG
      RJ2.JPG
      File size:
      37.9 KB
      Views:
  13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Still, I dont think anyone answered Gasserlouie's question...

14. janstoik

janstoik

Hi Denny!! I've been trying to find you for a long time. Yes, this is your old friend (I hope) Jan from the past. I was reading your post about the Luner Duner and was remembering the time we almost fell of the cliff at Avenue 52 or what ever the street was, and you threw me out of the top. That hurt! But thanks for saving me. Please respond to me I would love to touch base.

Love, Jan

P.
    s. I have a picture of the Luner Duner

15. janstoik

janstoik

Denny,

Send me an email: [email protected]

16. He hasn't been on here in two years, you might want to send him a PM or email

17. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Don,
    Is that John Calvert from Caltracs?

18. janstoik

janstoik

I don't have his email address, can you give it to me?

Thanks, Jan

19. 296ardun

296ardun

I just read this thread, though I was the only one who remembered the "lunar" duner," this was early '60s, long before monster trucks...the Hilman body was red, huge Lincoln engine, somehow it wound up in the parking lot at Blair's, where I worked....what ever happened to it??

20. Click on his user name and it will show a little menu with Send a PM and Send an Email and then click on that

21. Ron, I think It's that one and the same.

22. BCR

BCR

Bumpin the original question. The Hollywood Knights Jimmy Shine?????

23. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I would ask "who is Jimmy Shine" but I don't want to sound like an Iowa hick.

24. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

His name was Jimmy Shein.His father said" I dont call you son cause your mine i call you sun cause you shine"

25. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

He can't he's drunk!!! All i know he (so-cal) Jimmy Shine can't stand up to well after a few decent english beers. Met him a couple of years ago when he came over to a NSRA event and spent the night in the bar with him and friends and went for a meal at the end of the show.
    Really nice fella, true gent, not full of attitude at all like i thought he may be. Had a smoke outside and he just said how he missed his Mrs and his dogs and chatted shit. Fair play aswell as he got a good few proper beers down his neck, and wobbled off to his room.

Stand up Jimmy where ever you are, i'll buy you a beer again, top bloke!!!!

26. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Here is a good shot of the Lunar Duner

Attached Files:

27. chip chipman

chip chipman

In Oct 67 a local radio station had a Hillman advertising for the Sacramento Pop Festival. It was green with a sign on the rear that read "Caution- Wide Toad". I wonder if this was the same car.Never saw it again.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  28. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Hmmm, in 1969 Sept 27th is a Saturday like is lettered on that mud flap in the above picture. Three Dog Night wouldn't have been around any earlier Saturday Sept 27th.

29. Fredma

Fredma

Lunar dunar was built by John Vermillion in Altadena Cal.I saw the car in long beach ca. In 94 on a lot full of old racing cars. Looked like it was stripped down.

30. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

still waiting for an answer to the original question: Is Jimmy Shine from Hollywood Knights the same as the car guy we've been discussing?