Register now to get rid of these ads!

World's Fastest Street Flathead....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

We've got a guy over here (hi Jim...:) ) that recently ran a 12.7 @ 109mph with his flathead. His car is fully street legal, in fact he drove it over 100 miles to the event, and he was using bias-ply tyres on the quarter. This included a full interior and all lighting etc still fitted.

Here's the video of the run...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKumbNjDbew

Here's the reason for this post. Has anybody gone quicker with a flathead in full street trim? If so...Who? When? How quick?

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...kinda, sorta forgot to add that his little flattie has a blower, dincha'? :D

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I broke mine in less than 12 sec......does that count?

4. we will find out this weekend what scotz will run his isn't trimed out but it is blown and sounds awsome.

5. recycler

recycler

Flatdog's all steel street coupe runs in the 12s with a blown flattie.
    Brad

6. yeah, (edited) OK it counts but its not what I had been wondering for awhile. Is that better Kevin?? I would be much more curious who had the fastest non blown street legal flathead.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Damn...doesn't count? Holy hell those are some strong words for a guy who's running a lakes pipes kit. :)

Street driven is street driven - all one hundred miles of it. That rips. You might want to steer clear of my posts this winter. :)

Attached Files:

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... I kinda agree... there aren't many things cooler than a correctly blown flathead.

9. oh it counts but wouldnt that make it faster than any non blown flathead. YES street driven is street driven I was only stating that I was thinking about the same question but I was not including blown flattys in my thoughts, and didnt think he was (becaue I hadnt watched the clip yet) until 3W pointed that out.... Your still hung up on lakes pipes?? Too bad..:( Oh and I will steer way clear...

10. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

There is a difference between Street Driven and Street LEGAL...
    Some guys just havne't been pulled over yet, and those that were might have gotten a cop that was in a good mood. haha!

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I am joking. Man, I don't think my humor comes across very well here sometimes. Your car rules - I just remember the lakes pipe thread getting under your skin a little bit, that's all. A joke/jab among people with similar taste.

You can go ahead and make fun of my car now. Tell me I have ill fitting hood panels, or a goofy looking shifter, or... maybe I sit a bit too high in the cockpit or my rear tires are a bit to big for the era my car comes closest to emulating? I wore a hot dog pot for a helmet at the HAMB drags? It's all good - I know most of it is true.

12. I know, but to tell you the truth that lakes pipe thread bugged the shit out of me, not because you posted it but because I should have done better re-search on that part before my build. Its funny how we knit pick are own cars so much, I love lakes pipes on all other hot rods I have seen but every time I look at my car now I wished I had different exhuast. I like them but I want my car as period as possible as I think you do too. I hate you for bringing that topic up.. :) j/k.... OH and I love your car I would never say anything bad about it...now back on topic, for me sorry..

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ronnie Roadster driving a '32 Ford Roadster with a Blown ARDUN from Connecticut to the LA Roadster show and back home without any mishaps is one IMO.:)

14. Barz51

Barz51

Would an Ardun flatty still count as a flathead when we talk about quickest?
    (notice quickest not fastest, it is only a quarter mile)

15. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

No Ardun heads allowed, I'm afraid. I'm talking flathead only.

16. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Just so you guy know ,Ray a friend (flat 32) went 14.9 with his 32 ford 265 ci drove to strip he also goes coast to coast with it 2 94 carbs gas, no nitris.PS he also made his own heads and manifolds.I tried for 4 years to go from 15.0 to 14.99 I never did it .I can run 11s if I want to run nitris, not want I want to do.Check out my altered posts. Can't wait till spring.Remember Meeks ,Navarro battles.

17. recycler

recycler

So Don, what your best ET and MPH in your coupe???

Brad

18. Rusty

Rusty

I think Skots is gonna be in the 12's at the drags this year. I am still amazed that these Flatty are running that fast

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I don't think there's anything illegal about a blower, or lakes pipes, if they have baffles. In fact, in Texas, antique plates exempt you from any inspection at all, so noise is the only gripe that could be applied to a prewar hotrod. I think "fastest flathead" means just that, no overhead valve conversions, liscensed and registered, blowers, fuel, nitrious, you name it. Like Ryan said, nothings cooler than a properly blown flatty.

Now if you want to limit that to naturally aspirated, no power adders... (yawn) Then you've probably seen it already.

I'll be the first to admit that I will be terribly embarrased the first time ANY flatty out runs my sbc. It will happen, it's just a matter of when, and when it does, much respect. Actually, anything running 12s on skinny tires is impressive, a flatty even more so.

Ching My $.02 :)

20. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

12.91@ 103 3200 lbs.through exhaust,3.25 i did use slicks.I think my son fuel injection set up runs better .-

21. Ratty

Ratty

That Jim does like to get around in that roadster , here's a snap of it on the Flathead Reliability Run in the pissing rain earlier in the year .

Come to think of it , think he's been at every event I've attended this year . Street driven ? Oh yes ..

[​IMG]

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh man, I'm sorry - didn't know it bugged you that bad. Haha. Your car is still really nice and exhaust is an easy change if it bothers you that badly. When I was kicking around ideas I was considering finding a '36 driveshaft, then making a set of pipes that follow the basic lakes kit layout, but built completely from 1.5" tubing - no cone. Then kick them down just a bit and add the cone on the end. All low - the pipes would come right over the frame, straight back, then drop slightly where the megaphone was added.

Then I realized I'd have to get rid of build completely new hood sides. I just built new exhaust all inside the frame. I'll get some pictures.

And to bring this back around, I'm wondering what my car will do when I'm finally able to drop a blown flathead in. I'm spooked enough to consider adding a rollbar.

23. Nice thread, more pics!

24. Congrats Jim...... Glad the Moon boys came across & sorted the car finally.

25. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Alright. So I've had time to look at the picture a bit more closely now.

Is that a 3-71? Overdriven? (guessing by comparing apparent size of pulley to known crank pulley) And is that a single v-belt or some sort of small Gilmer (Gimler?) belt driving it? Timing belt?

26. Man I love that ride - show quality and fast !!! Crazy.....

OK boys, I just got mine going see pic.This engine is the one Im going to cut my teeth on till I get finish collecting all the bits I need for a more serious effort and then see how we go, but in the meantime .

Currently its a 3 5/16" x 3 3/4" = 258". Mild porting, non relieved, L100 cam, cast 4 ring slugs and plasma moly rings, reworked 8BA rods, modded Offy heads, ARP studded mains, 1" thick strap on surfaced centre main, MSD ign, 5 speed and 3.91 rear.

Itching to get it on the dyno to dial it all in and see what total timing/jetting it likes and TQ/HP output.

On the slide rule I'll be able to work out what the car should run and then have a go at the track to work out traction/driving variables. Should be interesting haha

Jims ride is a real nice piece - but I think hes running a big inch job I think - 300+ci ?

Can you confirm Jim?

Rat

Attached Files:

27. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

here is my turn,

Jim's car is really cool, and his engine set up is running very strong!

12.7 is a way better than me!! LOL

here is my first 1/4 mile race ... and here is the results

no posi traction, 3.76 1948 banjo rear axle, hurst slicks (crap)
    M21 trans

Engine:
    Block : French Flathead 4,3l
    Crankshaft: original
    Rods: original.
    Pistons: original
    Camshaft: Ikenderians D:249° Lift: .364 with isky valve springs.
    Heads: edelbrock .425
    Intake & Carb: Mitchell blower intake with 4/71 supercharger (6.5 PSI boost) and 2 Holley 94 with electric fuel pump.
    Ignition: Modified Chevy point distributor with Pertronix II module .
    Exhaust: shorty
    Home made lightweight flywheel and 11'' truck clutch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

little movie of a very bad run....oops lol
    http://www.thecheatersgang.com/movie3.avi

My next updates

286 ci french flathead block
    ross pistons with moly rings
    H beam rods from scat
    1.6 intakes valves
    1.56 exhaust valves
    full ported block
    10 PSI boost

quick change rear axle

will see how it goes next year!!!!!

PS; I 'm street legal!

28. Ratty

Ratty

Don't know the exact setup on the car Kevin , but does this pic help ? I was trying to be all arty but it does show the belts better ...

[​IMG]

Took this one at last years Hayride too , before the injection went on ...

[​IMG]

29. LOUDpipes

LOUDpipes
    from Finland

Street driven ??? HELL YES. Here is Jim smokin the donuts in shitty weather in April in HELLsinki Finland. The leftovers from winters salt and gravel on streets didn´t bother him.. "It is made to be driven..hard" said the man with a grin... What a ride... Gongrats for making it into the twelves...

Attached Files:

30. Hi Kevin,

To me that looks like one of Joe Abbin's Roadrunner Engineering kits. I think it uses a Weind 142 blower on a custom manifold. Very reasonable money for the complete kit too from memory, something around the $2100 mark.

Actually as I was looking for pics of Joe's kit I cam accross the very same car on his website, so I guess that settles it then!

[​IMG]

Danny