Register now to get rid of these ads!

Working with brass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mindover, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Joe thanks for commenting. I hope to inform and inspire, not make people feel bad. While making something like I show in this thread may be beyond most, I use the same techniques for these as I show on the DVD and in other threads, it's the same principles. Welding brass is a bit harder than steel and ally and getting a finish good enough to chrome is something that takes a lot of practice but the same techniques can give good results with a bit of practice in steel and aluminium.

David

2. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Thanks for sharing more David.

3. noboD

noboD

David, thanks for the time it takes to explain your craft.

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys, it's good to know you like my stuff! and are still following along. Thanks for commenting.

David

5. Really nice work David!

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks! Finished these today but both my computers at work stopped working within a week of each other so I can't easily post photos at the moment. I will post some more soon.

David

7. Jmmchevy

Jmmchevy

Please share your brass grille fabrication process! I am struggling with a 1931 chevrolet brass grille repair. I cannot seem to get all the waviness on the sides. I have not annealed it yet. Getting tight. image.jpg image.jpg

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  8. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Good stuff here.When I was in Voctec aka High school Trade school yea 18 yrs ago they never taught this stuff we burnt rods & wire little torch and some plascuting.What Im gettin at is kids today have no idea about sweating metal together with brass or even lead well u know soider.Any one reading this should teach their kids ,grandskids or freinds this art of brazing & soidering.I learned this on my own and would have maybeen easier with a teacher.This Brass work is cool stuff. """Mindover"" Great Work.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

David, I have your video now I just need 30 years of practice! Your work is truly amazing (used in the intended way not like most people use it rather than "nice"). My question is could someone do the same work in copper as in brass and solder the pieces together since they would be chromed anyway? Lawrence