Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wiring up a new alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53kemper, Jul 16, 2018.

1. 53kemper

53kemper

So Ive got this 1964 Galaxie with a 289. I recently purchased a Powermaster retro Alternator. I installed it but the car isn't charging. I'm pretty sure I need to connect the FLD/Field but I don't know what to connect it to. My car doesn't have a regulator. Any idea what where the FLD should connect to? Heres a pick of the back of my Alternator.

Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. 53kemper

53kemper

Powermaster Retro 7078

Attached Files:

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Read the first line in the add, EXTERNAL REGULATOR

5. Yep, needs a external regulator.... gimme a few minutes and I'll supply the wiring diagram...

6. 53kemper

53kemper

Thanks Steve. Thanks Mr48, My eyes must be going bad.

7. 53kemper

53kemper

I found this wiring diagram. Says it for 1959- 1964 Galaxie generator to alternator conversion schematic.

Attached Files:

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you have the connections figured right after checking the catalog. They don't show a regulator in their catalog that I could find . it may be there but I didn't find it.

Attached Files:

9. 53kemper

53kemper

Ill stop at auto parts store and pick up a Regulator on the way home. Thanks for the help.

10. Here's the diagram(s)

Ford Alt Diagram.jpg

Note there's two. The top one is if you're using the stock idiot light, but note the resistor across the light. If that's not present (and won't be on a generator car), you'll have to rev the snot out of the motor to get it to charge, it may not charge at all. I've done this, it's a PITA to install the resistor. If you go this way, get a resistor good for 5 watts. And get the right value (15 ohm), if it's off you'll be back to revving the motor.

The bottom one is for an ammeter, but you can skip the ammeter and use a voltmeter instead.

Note the difference in the connection to the ignition switch between the diagrams. And make damn sure you have a good ground path between the alternator housing and the regulator base; a poor path can kill one or both. Ford ran a physical wire (recommended).

morac41 likes this.
  11. 53kemper

53kemper

Great thanks you Steve.

12. I'd be leery of the diagram you found. The ones I posted are the official Ford ones, guaranteed to work....

13. 53kemper

53kemper

I'll use the ones you posted.

14. 53kemper

53kemper

Well I picked up a regulator and followed the diagram from Crazy Steve and it worked great. System charging at 14.4 at idle. Thanks again for your help.