Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring schematic for heater switch/blower resistor in '64-'66 Chevy C10?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsrocket, Nov 27, 2013.

1. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I am trying to cobble together a stock heating system in my '64 Chevy C10 with deluxe heater. I have a new control assembly and have new blower and blower resistor. However, I have no wiring connectors to go between the switch and resistor.

I am hoping that somebody could help me out with pointing me toward a schematic/picture that shows how they are wired together, or if maybe somebody could look under their dash and maybe draw out a quick sketch or take a picture.

If anybody is parting out a C10, I would love to have the electrical connectors for the resistor and heater switch.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

3. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

That is awesome. Thank You!!!

I looked and looked for such a harness ,but my search words must not have been close enough.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

If you still want the schematic I can get you a copy of mine next week as well.

5. 24riverview

24riverview

This is all I found in the 64 shop manual supplement that might be helpful. That harness looks like the best way to go, reasonable price too.

Attached Files:

6. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Thank you all.

I ordered one of the harnesses just a couple minutes ago. Should be here by Monday!

KJSR- do you have a different schematic than the one 24riverview posted? If so, it wouldn't hurt to post it just in case some poor shmoe like me ends up needing the info further down the line. I literally searched for two or three days trying to find something and couldn't.

Thanks for all the help fellas. It is appreciated.

7. If you can live with just the connectors go to an auto electric shop and buy the metal terminals and plastic terminal from them. They are called 56 series terminals.

8. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I will look but I think that is the one I have as well.

Let me know if you have any other needs, I have just about redone everything on my 64.....

9. SASROD

SASROD

Not to highjack the post, but what is the purpose of the blower resistor?

10. To give multiple speeds on the blower. Very common solution, although once in a while you'll find blower motors with multiple field windings to do the same thing. But all of these I've seen were only two-speed blowers, the three speed ones used the resistors.

11. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Thanks.....

If you know anybody with a spare defroster box (plenum with the flapper). I could use one. Mine is missing pieces.

12. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

13. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Thanks. How about cable routing? Any idea how those go? I can figure out the defrost one. But it looks like the "heat" one is supposed to have two cables to it? If so, I can figure where one goes, but how about the other? I wouldn't think that the "fan" one would need a cable since it just works the switch right?

Thanks for the help fellas.

14. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Mine only has three cables. The right lever controls the flap in the engine compartment, the center lever controls the flap on the right of the heater box and the left controls the flap on the left.

15. 24riverview

24riverview

Couple more scans from the 64 supplement. I would think the "air inlet control cable" would be hooked to the fan control lever but that's not how it is shown if I'm reading it correctly.

Attached Files:

16. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

24riverview- Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

17. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

The saga continues......

Here's where the confusion starts again. The diagrams 24riverview posted show the three cables (which had come with the controller assembly I bought). The one I am completely confused about is the "temperature control cable". It shows it coming through the firewall and connecting to a lever on the side of the heater core box. Thing is....my heater core box does not have this lever. In fact it doesn't even have holes where the lever would be. To further add to the confusion, I ordered a heater gasket set and it looks like only 2 of the gaskets fit The two the go to the firewall. The rest of the unit appeared to be sealed with some sort of body caulk.

I can only find two flappers and levers, one for the defrost and one in the plenum that lets the air in from the heater box.

So here's where I'm at..... I don't know if my heater box and plenum have been cobbled together between years, or models, or variations, or if I have an odd-ball one. If it is stock where the heck does the temp control cable go on this unit?

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

after more digging, I think I actually have the "thrift-air" version, which sucks since I went through all the trouble of collecting up the deluxe air pieces. Now I have to go back to the drawing board. doh!

19. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

You should be able to use a mixture of both....

20. If the only thing lacking is a connection for the temperature cable, you might look at using an inline valve on the heater hose. I know Ford used these for temp control, I'm sure they were used on other cars too. Not OEM, but will fix the problem....

21. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I found a guy locally that has all the thrift air pieces. So I can swap out the bad parts on mine and get the stock bezel and knob. As much as I'd rather have the deluxe air, after seeing the repop control assemblies and how chincy and cheaply made they are, I think that the thrift-air would be more substantial anyway. I am returning the parts I got for the deluxe heater and will be saving a bunch of $ by just going with the thrift-air version.

Hopefully, I am not too far off from heat. Just need a few more parts. Thanks for the help all.