Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dynaflash, Feb 11, 2011.

1. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I am installing a It's A Snap wire harness. So far, I guess it has been a snap, but now I have a problem and they are closed for vacation ?

The indicator light for the high beams is on all the time. It has 11 volts to it when on High and 6 when on low. I unplugged one headlight to see if the wires were crossed and it was feeding back through the bulb, but it is still the same.

Any ideas? Where do I look for this?

THANKS in advance for any help.

2. cide1

cide1

Its Chinese new year....must be their vacation. (I did buy a Helix IFS, and it's good stuff, but it is chinese).

3. Gator

Gator

Sounds like a poor ground somewhere in the circuit.

4. x2 on a poor ground try grounding the headlights back to ground and see if it cures the problem

5. Sounds like it may be a bad hi beam switch. Are the hi and lo beams working correctly? Disconnect the switch (take it out of the circuit) and jump a wire from the pwr wire to lo, and then pwr to hi and see what the indicator lite does

6. squirrel

squirrel

check grounds at the cluster and at both headlights.

7. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

as said check the grounds. but i like what groucho said remove the dimmer and run a jump to try and eliminate that problem

8. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

ONE of the headlights has the ground and low beam wires swapped in the connector. What's happening is that with the dimmer switch in the low beam position, these swapped wires are grounding the high beam filament for that bulb through the high beam indicator bulb. Unplug all the headlights and the indicator should go off. If it doesn't you have a bad dimmer switch. If it does go off, plug the headlights back in one at at time and see which one causes the indicator to illuminate with the dimmer in low beam. That's the one with the wires swapped.

9. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Thanks so much everyone. I will be in the shop early tomorrow and will find the issue for sure. THANKS Again............to all

10. Headlights ground through a SIDE connector, NOT the center. It's kinda counter-intuitive, and caught me out the first time.

It's my bet.

Cosmo

11. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

You my friend are a smart man.....That is exactly what the issue was, THANKS SO MUCH!!

12. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Damn, if the Hamb isn't amazing! I was struggling with this issue for two nights, replaced the dimmer switch tonight with no improvement. Then I did a search and, BAM, I'm back in business. Thanks

13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

For the record the high beam is on the left, low beam on the bottom and ground on the right. Thanks.