Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring is beating me up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkamort, Jan 21, 2012.

1. unkamort

unkamort

I have the solenoid power (fat/red) wire hooked up to the positive side of a Ford starter solenoid. When battery power is applied the top (? unspecified on any diagram I can find) flasher cycles rapidly, and the 30a fuse (3rd from the top on the Rt side) blows with a snap. When the flasher is removed the fuse dose not blow, but I can't find power out of the fuse box. Help me Obewan... your my only hope

2. squirrel

squirrel

You connect the main power wire for the electrical system to power, and then the flasher unit acts like it has a short on the load side.

Sounds like you have something grounded, that should not be grounded. Maybe there's a short in the steering column/turn signal switch?

3. unkamort

unkamort

Well... I can't unplug that. As you suggested a coupla days ago I hard wired it in. There is still a pink and a black wire coming out of the column that I can't account for

4. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

With no power (take terminals off battery) take a multimeter, put it in the ohms mode (upside down horseshoe thing) and touch one end to the power wire in question and the other end to a ground. If you have a reading you have a ground somewhere... Than you get to have fun finding it using the same method...

5. squirrel

squirrel

The flasher cans run both the hazard lights, and the turn signals. Look at the back of the fuse panel, see what colors are used on that flasher that's causing problems. It's probably the hazard flasher, since it's powered when the key is off. Pull the fuse for the hazard flasher and see if the flashing stops. If that's it, then look for a short in one of the turn signal light circuits, perhaps you could narrow it down to one side of the car by seeing what happens when you turn on the key and turn the turn signals on one way or the other. Let me know what you find.

The pink and black should be the key buzzer switch. Is it a separate pair of wires?

6. unkamort

unkamort

The colors to the back side of the flasher are BLK and BRN. I tried swapping flashers. I get no power to any lights. The pink and black wires are also on that gang plug with the turn signal wires. (have no problem deleting that buzzer)

7. Black should be the horn and pink is ignition switch to coil on a GM.

8. unkamort

unkamort

these are real thin gauge wires... buzzer makes sense on that score. I have the larger gauge pink run to the coil, but not connected. The print on the harness indicates Lt/GRN for the horn

9. unkamort

unkamort

"Look at the back of the fuse panel, see what colors are used on that flasher that's causing problems."

The BLK and BRN wires were pre wired into the fuse panel... could this be incorrect?

10. George/Maine

George/Maine

Do you have a pos ground car. neg is power wire.

11. unkamort

unkamort

No... not positive ground

12. The harness wire can be what ever color the manufactor wants it to be. I took a look at my notes from wiring a painless system in my truck with a 71 caddy column. I didn't have every letter on the column connector written down as to what each was. It did say black wire on connector was the horn wire.
    What harness are you using ?

13. squirrel

squirrel

The black wire to the flasher sounds funky, but I don't know how the harness was made, if they used the standard GM color codes for the internal wiring.

Brown does sound right for the wire from the hazard flasher can, to the turn signal switch. YOu did make sure the hazard switch on the column is turned off?

14. Well Squirrel he's gone.........I guess he's not to worried bout fixing his problem.

15. squirrel

squirrel

moose? squirrel? what is this, rocky and bullwinkle?

:)

16. Ha Ha Ha ....... now all we need is Natasha:rolleyes:

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

What wiring kit are you using, and in what car?

18. unkamort

unkamort

Yeah... I was gone, I went back at it no change in results. guess it was kinda stupid askin'... no wrench in his right mind would try to diagnose a problem 'over the phone'. I feel like a blue ribbon chump ... sooner or later ya get the idea that ya just ain't as good as you thought you were. I'm gonna loose 625 bucks in reg fees, and my place in line... but its come time to call it quits.