Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Colombo, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Colombo

Colombo

I have a 54 Ford Customline that I am installing three pod gauges under it. I will be rewiring the car in a few months, but in the mean time I need a quick fix to make sure everything is running correctly.
    Question: since I am unable to get to the ignition switch, is it possible to get the power from the dash temp gauge to power the little lights for the pods? I am not using anything behind the dash and I am unsure if piggy backing off that gauge will hurt anything.
    Also, without getting to the ignition switch what can I hook up the Volt pod to?

Thanks in advance.

2. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Run the lights to the headlight switch. Why can't you get to the ignition switch?

3. Davyj

Davyj

The lights should be powered by piggybacking off any of the original dash lights. As for the power to the gauges, take a test light and find a power wire to the dash that turns on with the key. Then just tap into it, for a temporary deal it should work fine.

4. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Nothing else just run a hot wire from the battery to do diagnosing. Just be really careful with it and dont let it ground out on anything...

5. ... and fuse your jumper wire with callout fuse size of the guage, just in case.

6. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

But that takes all the fun out... If you wanna be real fancy you can put a switch on it... How i made my 63 chevy run for a month, was to lazy to find the broken wire...