Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring help with repair to '61 Impala wipers:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Camel City Skull, Apr 6, 2011.

1. I am getting power to the wiper motor, and the dash switch seems to be fine. I assume the wipers have a fuse however none of the fuses are labled "wiper." Here is a photo of my fuse box, does anyone know which of these fuses is assigned to wiper motor? Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. spooler41

spooler41

Power coming to the wiper switch will be fused. Hang a meter or test light on the wire feeding the wiper switch, then start pulling fuses, one at a time. When you lose power or the light goes out, you have found the fuse in question. It also looks like the contacts in the fuse block need to be cleaned up, rust is not a good conductor.

..............Jack

3. CRYOMAN

CRYOMAN
    from so cal

Check your firewall connection. I have a 63 impala that had wipers one minute and none the next for a loooooong time. I happened to be cleaning up the wire loom and disconnected it from the firewall and what a mess. I went to town with contact cleaner and the next time I needed the wipers they worked like new.

The fuse box needs some attention too as previously posted.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

OK, so you're getting power to the wipers and I assume they don't work? Then you have a ground problem. The power goes straight to the wiper motor and the switch controls the ground.
    Also, a lot of wipers are protected by an automatically resettable circuit breaker, not a fuse.

5. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Ditto above, switch has no power (stock switch)