Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wire wheels? locks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daign, Sep 12, 2003.

1. daign

daign
    from socal

Any of you guys on the board ever own a set of wires? I am looking to get a set for an OT project I've been working on and noticed that the tools to remove the knockoff off the adapter are pretty much all the same. Is there a way to keep these things from getting ripped off or am I missing something. Dayton and various other companys now offer "bolt-on" wires, but I'm not really fond of the look.

Also, how do these things hold up? Do they ever have to be trued? Weak?

Thnx,
    Dane

2. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I gave up on wires reluctantly because I couldn't keep them from leaking. I got really good at re-siliconing them but it sucks to have to take your car off the road that often. Seriously I'll go back the second somebody comes up with a leak proof design.

I still dont understand how the lame-ass SUV's with 200 spoke 24" wires and low profile tires keep them full of air. I had nothing but trouble with old style 80 spoke 15's

3. Paul2748

Paul2748

To Praise - the solution is inner tubes. If you have radials they have special tubes for radials. If you have adjustable wires you should also run a liner

4. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I actually ended up running inner tubes but finding ones that fit was really hit and miss and a lot of tire guys told me there was danger from internal rubbing between the tube and the tire. . . but maybe they just wanted me to go away so they could get back to . . ."normal" tire business.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I had a 62 Corvette with factory wire knock offs. (only set I ever saw 'cept the TV show Route 66) Lost the r/rear and it took out the 1/4 panel. Swapped it for a 41 sedan delivery and cash. He later lost the l/frnt. He sold it too. I'd never run 'em again without drilling a hole and safety wiring them like the old racers did. It only has to happen once!

6. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

Igot 13x7 wires on my they are made by player they are knockoffs never had any problems with them... i get them for about $250 a set 13 to 15"... none of mine have ever leaked...

7. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

As weird as it may sound the tire stores used to poke holes with an ice pick in radial tires if they had to put a tube in them so they probably work great with leaky spokes lol