Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical winters quick change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jimmysweden, Jan 19, 2019.

1. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

anyone here that changed from strait cut to helical gear in the reared.. and how big is the different?
    IMG_0256.jpg

2. I haven't - but - there is a good thread on here - search for Quickchange on here...

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Nope, still straight.
    Part of the allure.

Mike

4. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I remember Ronnie Roadster here on the HAMB going to York Nationals with straight cut gears in his Ardun Deuce and coming home to CT with helical cut gears. He said the difference was well worth the change noise wise in an open car.

5. I have run both straight, and helical gears in V 8 and Champ QC's. I always run helical on the street. Still get some whine at around 30 mph, but NOTHING like straight cut gears. Always used straight cut gears drag racing. It takes a little more power to pull helical gears.

383deuce likes this.
  6. Blake 27

Blake 27

I switched to helical gears in my winters V8 quickchange and it's as quiet as a 9", what a difference!
    If you switch be sure to get a spacer and shim kit with your new gears.
    Straight cut gears are self centering, helical gears have side loads and require shims Winters=spacer002.jpg

grumpy32, Blue One, 383deuce and 3 others like this.
  7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

All of the above is correct. I have found that later straight cut gears tend to be quieter than older ones. Also, there are better (more expensive) gears.
    But helicals are quieter than good straight cuts. Limiting the end play is critical. I made splined spacers from old drive shaft couplers before Winters came out with the spacers. If you do it this way, you can set it exactly where you want it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I bought a winters QC for my 29 with straight cut gears , haven't had time to change out the 9" yet but I'm looking forward to the whine:cool:

neverdun and lothiandon1940 like this.