Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winter welding question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steamer, Feb 11, 2013.

1. steamer

steamer

Can you weld outside when it's in the 30's. I do most of my work with a stick Lincoln welder?

2. Ever hear of the Alaskan Pipe line? Wind blowing your welds is the only real issue.

3. AWS codes usually require a preheat of the steel to around 65 or 70 degrees if the base metal is 32 or below.

if you follow that, i am not sure if there are other limits for welding in cold weather.

it will definitely affect the cooling rate of the weld and could definitely be a factor.

4. You didn't say what you were welding?

5. Not a problem. We do it every day. If it is structural work there some cases where pre-heating may be required.

6. As already stated, pre-heat is a good idea, as well as maybe wrapping the finished weld with welding blankets after if it's a critical weld.

7. Forced 382

Forced 382
    BANNED

Use a tiger torch for pre heat and sweat it out. You can purchase temp sticks if you need to be specific temp range but generally all that is needed is to sweat out. Hope this helps.

8. Isn't the "alaskan pipeline" where you freeze a turd and then you....oh..nevermind, forget it.

9. lht

lht

i do pipeline work and you have to preheat to 350 even in 70 degree weather nothin to do with your car though

10. We had rod ovens in the job shacks sometimes but usually more gloves bein dried than rods...

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Few yrs ago we welded a rail to the clubhouse porch with stick.
    It was -28 in celsius,that'll be -18 in fahrenheits.
    Yes,i know here are warmer days than that one was,but we just had to do it.

12. sure, like they said, preheat the weld area first and wrap with a welding blanket so it wont cool off to fast