Register now to get rid of these ads!

Windshield Wiper Motor (Late 50's - Early 60's GM) Issue, Grrrr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tcb-1, Dec 8, 2010.

1. tcb-1

tcb-1

gang,
    spending some quality time with the '60 Caddy, attempting to get all bugs worked out before next roadtrip season. trying to get the wipers functional after years of not being used.....

took the wiper motor out, looked over everything and found out the reason why it wasn't operating was because the copper ground strap was rubbing against the throttle linkage. got a fresh ground on, put a new buss in the juice box, and viola! all expect the damn thing runs in low speed when off. it also runs in low speed when switched to low speed, but ramps up correctly for medium and high speeds.

is there an internal switch that is stuck? I can probably have a local Caddy guy look at it, but he charges out the ass. I twirl the wrenches on my own shit, so if there's something I could tweak, well there's money in the pocket.

thanks.

2. squirrel

squirrel

First make sure the switch is properly grounded. Make sure the motor is properly grounded.

3. bear39

bear39

Is it power or ground side switch? If it is ground side and switch off and it runs you have a grounded wire for the low speed same if it is power you have power to the low speed Bear:D:D

4. GM usually (as do most, NOT all) has power to the wiper at all times, and switches the ground for operation.
    This allows the parking of the wipers after switch off.

Remember: the rule of thumb is that whenever there is a weird electrical problem, it's likely a ground issue.

Cosmo

5. tcb-1

tcb-1

thanks gang. cosmo, your so freaking right. I usually track down most of my electrical gremlins on the account of a shitty ground. back to the garage.......