Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys Straight Axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALLSTEELWILLYS, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

On a factory Willys straight axle in a 40 WIllys coupe does the lower shock mount in front of the axle or behind??? or does it matter???

2. The stock Willys Shocks are in front so the mount tags point forward.

3. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

OK, Thank you.... does the shocks need to angle foward, or back, or straight up?

4. The straighter up it is the better it will dampen. I don't recall but they may have been angled forward a bit. If I decided to angle it I would not angle it very much.

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

The stock upper shock mount is foward of the stock lower mount, hence the shocks are angled foward.

Pat

6. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

It depends on where your shackles are located. If the shackles are in front and solid spring mount in the rear the shock needs to angle forward to properly dampen as the axle will move forward slightly when the springs are compressed. Shackles in rear - shocks point towards the rear. Shocks mounted straight up will work - just not as well because of the axle movement fore and aft.

7. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

Ok, thank you everyone... 'rustednutz' the shackles are in the front and solid mount in the rear. I will angle the shocks a little to the front.
    Thanks Again for everyones fast reply!

8. 37 to 39 model 48 have shackles on the rear of the spring and all after to 42 have shackles on the front .All of these had the shocks leaning forward about 10 degrees or at 90 degrees to its axle mount. The reason for the different spring setups is the spring was where Willys changed the wheel base.