Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willy's Aero Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aerorocket, Mar 17, 2012.

1. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Very nice. Do you have any more pictures or details ? [What size nailhead, stick,auto, rear etc.]

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Best-looking compact of the ‘50s meets one of the coolest V8s of the ‘50s? I approve!

-Dave

3. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

nice Willys Aero very cool love the OldsZ mill
    had a chance to by a Willys 2 door Aero from the farmer should of

Rochie nice Areo as well cool

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. Robert F. Rider Sr

Robert F. Rider Sr
    from Seatac,Wa

Very cool car ! My Shirtsleeve uncle had one of these and at age 14 I learned to drive it on the country roads. Keeo going with this .

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I dig the rockets on the intake. I thought it was a nice touch.
    I think the whole project is bitchen. I love those Aeros. There has always been a soft spot in my head for those. Neighbor's daughter, I was in Jr High, she was a junior in High School, it was out back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wadda summer!

6. Gerrys

Gerrys

Looks good. Replace the copper fule line with some steel.

7. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

One of the first hot rods I saw at a drag strip. I think it was Helena Al, sbc, orange, and the inside was painted with trunk paint. Blew this 17 yr olds' mind in 1956. I think it belonged to a country singer,Sonny Charles. could be wrong.

8. das858

das858

Very cool Willy's, I wouldn't change a thing.

9. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Here is a Willis Aero at the Indian Wells carshow in Feb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Leave the rocket on, put a silhouette of a naked woman riding it...now everybody will like it.
    Cool car, love everything about it.

11. robber

robber

Man! I dig Willys and I dig Olds... what a cool combo. Your car is sweet!!
    I couldn't tell from the pictures how early your Olds mill is. Is that a 303
    or maybe a 324?

12. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Guys thanks for the kind words, The short block is a 394 with 371 heads as the deck ht. didn't matter as the intake is home made. The rocket would have been much more attractive with a naked lady on board.

13. robber

robber

A 394 huh? The 1st car I ever wrecked was drag racing a Starfire with a 394 on the streets:eek: Man that baby would get up and walk the dog! I mean that 394 would literally torch the hides:D Good choice for your Aero... it won't have any trouble staying in front of traffic:) Hope I didn't make myself sound irresponsible. I was just a kid and of course I would never race on the streets now days:rolleyes:

14. Ebert

Ebert

Love that thing! Thanks for sharing and give it hell! GREAT car!

15. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

This is a father and son project, he did most of the welding and he's the one who found the car. The car came to PA from out west, it was virtually rust free. The guy brought it back to restore but found out the cost of restoration far exceeded the value of an old Aero. It started out as a somewhat simple reasonable project. I have a complete 327 365 from a 64 Vette that I intended on dropping in. My son said everyone runs a Chevy lets do an Olds with a stick. His grandfather, my dad, loved his Oldsmobiles infact he had a 63 Starfire I took my drivers test in. Cheap and easy went out the window with the Olds. It has been alot of fun though and well worth it in the long run. [I THINK ?]

16. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

good looking hot rod!!!

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Very cool. I always thought they looked like a henry "j" and a 50's ford had a baby. There is one of these out in the country that I have been watching for years, it was an old drag car and has been there since the early 80's.

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

19. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Do you have any pictures of the drag car? If your thinking of buying watch for rust as these are very susceptable to rusting and are unibody. Take a look at a 52-55 Ford Taunas; they look like a Willys Aero had a baby. One would make a really neat gasser.

20. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Nope, but I will see if I can get some current and early 80's pictures of it. The car was one of my Dad's buddies, It was blue with shag blue carpet a small block ford ,4 speed and a tri-5 chevy rear. The reason I know what the rear was is because the last time it ran it broke an axle at Byron Dragway Byron Ill. That was the first and last time it ever ran slicks. He brought the car home put a new axle in it, painted it red and sold it as a roller, it's sat ever since.

21. ironhead68

ironhead68

Aerorocket and Rochie,
    Wondering, since these Willys are unibody, are you runnining sub-frame connectors underneath or what?Any pics would be great.
    Brother-in-law has one to build , but we're scratching our heads over the the unibody frame.
    You both have neat projects, love the motors!

22. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Dang... I like that Aero...

23. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

My son posted the pictures as I do not have a clue how this is done. The next time he comes around I will have him do this for you. We did install a 1.25X3" subframe attached directly to the unibody extending from the front wheel area to the rear wheel area. we also added cross members at the rear trans. mount and at the bellhousing area. The floor must come out to do this properly. The front mount for the rear spring was also totally revamped and tied to the new subframe. We also did some beefing up under the hood at the shock towers etc. He posted some early pictures in another post. The thread is 'Any Willys Aeros out there" post number#18.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  24. ironhead68

ironhead68

Thanks Aerorocket, much appreciated. I'd noticed the beefed up shock towers.
    I'll search for the previous posts.

25. afaulk

afaulk

Cool car and a motivational thread. I'm going to check on an Aero that i saw recently w/o the front clip. The Olds engine should really wake that unit UP! Cool beans.

26. Biscayner

Biscayner
    from MN

Love that body style and that intake job is fantastic.

27. Saxxon

Saxxon

That deserves and "attaboy"
    The Olds power really makes this thing pop for me...

28. Nice, that's going to be FUN! I like your dash board. Mine has a couple of extra holes in it from previous owners, so it's not even close to that pretty. Nice mill, too.

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

When I was in high school someone had a Aero with a 283 in it. It was cool then and there even cooler now.