Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will this strengthen a banjo rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lugnutz9032, Oct 30, 2009.

1. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

Got to thinking about the single key between axle and hub and wondered if anyone tried cutting a second keyway 180 degrees from the first?How deep is the keyway?Would this just weaken it?Seems like two would be stronger than one unless you wind up cutting thru the axle.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The key should never be the main line of resistance. If the key shears, the axle was moving in the hub and the whole setup was doomed anyway. The nut must be ridiculously tight, and if the end of axle is chewed up from previous slippage it needs to be lapped in with its hub.

3. xix32

xix32

i'd rather shear and have to replace a keyway, than an axle.
    i have heard it's supposed to be the tapper that drives it, not the key.
    if the key shears, it wasn't tight enough.
    drill press and mill spindles are drivin by the tapper only.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep, but usually if the key goes, the axle is trash too. They tend to twist and smear the key like peanut butter between the axle taper and the hub.

5. rustybucket

rustybucket

Without a brake drum retainer or safety hub, when the axle goes so does the wheel its attached to:eek:

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Another good point, I have a pair of these ready to install on my roadster when I get to that point. Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but Rustybucket, your roadster is AWESOME, I saw it in the fall pics thread. Hope I get to see it in person some day.:cool:

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have alway wondered if anyone ever came up with a better idea for the nut. It seems the threads on most axle are weak to say the least and getting to 150lb is pushing on stripping it out.

8. rustybucket

rustybucket

thanks! I'm working out a bunch of bugs right now, here's a crappy clip of the motor runnin. Right now I have the heads off to fix some leaky head studs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9akeT4Ua9lU

9. rustybucket

rustybucket

I just tightened mine up last weekend. I stopped at 185 because it started to feel scary.

10. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

Like they said above, the fit of the taper should be transmitting the torque. If you are going to add a second keyway it should be at 90° to the first key way not 180°.

11. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

All good points guys.Seemed to easy a fix to work but I had to ask.Thanx

12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If you lap the axle to the hub and get 100% surface, you can get away with normal driving with NO key installed.
    If you want 2 keys, put them 90 degrees apart.
    The banjo axles just are not strong enough to take big hp or big tires for very long
    if you abuse them.

13. 150lb? 180lb? That's asking for trouble. The Ford bulletins specified tighten to 220lbs, then tighten some more to the next split pin hole, but do not exceed 275lbs.