Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will the 8.20 Firestone Cheater Slick in under the 55.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fast Elvis, Jan 31, 2009.

1. I wanted to pass this out to the HAMB family for some help. Does anyone know if you can run the 8.20 x 15 Firestone Cheater Slicks (30.5" tall) in the back of a 55 Chev with stock 1/4 panel openings. Thanks again for your kind support.

Attached Files:

2. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin

with a narrow rim like 5.5-6 inches and stock offset it should. It might be a bitch getting it up in place though. You might have to jack the frame and let the rear end drop as low as it will go. I have even had to let the air out of some tires to get the sidewalls thin enough to get under the fender, then reinflate once the wheel was bolted up.

What size tire is under the car you posted a pic of? Has to be atleast a 7.60-15.

3. Muttley

Muttley

Not to hijack your thread, but do happen to know what issue of Hot Rod that '55 was featured in?

4. ......I only through that pic up to show the stock 1/4 panel on a 55 with some type of cheater slick... But if your asking what issue that pic's from ...I'll check my stuff for you.

5. .......I totally know what you mean about tight fit's on tires with stock 1/4's on a 55...at the moment I have a 15x8.5 with a 5' back space.

6. The widest part of that tire is 10.70 inches (according to the Summit racing website).

According to this, if you are precise with your wheel selection, the tire will clear with about a half inch on each side of the tire.

http://tri-5.chevyrides.com/rear_tire.php

Try the link above!

7. Muttley

Muttley

Please, when you have the time. I used to have that issue but I gave it away (by mistake) when I got rid of a bunch of worthless magazines.

8. I actually dealt with this recently to get my '55 ready for Mooneyes. I bought the 8.20 x 30 firestone cheater slicks to use with a 15x8 Cragar. I have radiused wheel wells. They are a tad bit too small so I will be going with a 10.00 x 30 next but you should be fine.

9. You can also put a bottle jack between the frame and the leaf springs if its tight you can get them in, that way you dont need to let out the air in the tyre. I just had the same problem with my falcon on thursday when i fitted deep dish steelies on the rear.

10. Back in school my buddy had a '55 (gasser style), he pulled out on the 1/4 panel and shoved some blocks of wood in there and got 10" slicks on it! You could see the bulge when you looked down the side, and water can get in all the wrong places, so I don't recommend it, but it also did no permanent damage.

11. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

it'll fit all day long.

12. ......thanks Rob for the FYI on the tires and the website........Cheers F.E.

13. .....Muttley I know I have that copy around here somewhere...lol....would you like me to scan the article on that 55 and send it to you? Cheers F.E.

14. ......nice to hear brother.....thanks.............and thanks to everyone else for all the fine advise and feedback......Cheers F.E.

Does anyone have a pic?

15. Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  16. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

Hey man buy the hurst racing slicks.They look just as nice and cost less. hurstracingtires.com plus the owner is a hamb HOTRODRUBBER

17. gasser55

gasser55

I'm running 30" tall by 9" wide hurst cheaters on my awb 55........You should have no problem fitting them under your car.
    [​IMG]

18. .....great looking tires brother but there not "DOT" approved or I would have tired them but thanks for helping.

19. .....what size rims and off set are you running? Always liked that 55 of yours brother.

Attached Files:

20. Muttley

Muttley

21. gasser55

gasser55

15" x 8 1/2" .....The spacing is neutral (centered).

22. Well it all worked out fine with the 8.20 cheaters on 15x7 steel rims with a 7 1/4 backspace.

Thanks again for all the great advice and info.......

Attached Files: