Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will sandblasting warp stamped steel valve covers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Mar 30, 2020.

1. atch

atch

More specifically, I'm doing about a gazillion things around the shop and house while quarantined.

1. I've got some stamped steel script Chevrolet valve covers that I'd like to sandblast and paint. Anyone done this and can tell me if it will warp the valve covers?

I can't tell you specifically what I've got in my blast cabinet, except that it is some kind of pretty ordinary media that came from a local farm type store. I can say that it's nothing out of the ordinary. i.e., it's not glass beads or anything like that.

2. Will the media used and/or the air pressure being used have any effect on whether they warp or not?

2. mark latham

mark latham

I've blasted about a billion valve covers with glass beads with no problem, I can't imagine sand being any different.

egads and squirrel like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Not with a siphon feed (I assume your cabinet is siphon feed).

4. atch

atch

Mark,

Thanx. This is what I was looking for. Actual real world experience; not opinions.

B36,

Yep, siphon feed.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Well, it's it a reeeeealy warm fuzzy you want;) I recall the day we got the cabinet, looking for things to blast. Made a bunch of shiny Coors and Coke cans;)

firstinsteele likes this.
  6. My sandblaster is a siphon feed, and even with fine sand, I have never warped a small part like a valve cover.
    On a couple of occasions, I have seen the damage done to a door panel, but that was because the pressure was too high and the person didn't test the panel to see if it was getting hot. It isn't the sand that warps the panel, but the amount of heat the blasting generates.
    Bob

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've blasted valve covers with my presher pot system. I think it would be hard to warp a valve cover

8. No , go for it. Use a blast cabinet. Do it all the time.
    Vic

9. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

10. make sure they are clean and dry and oil free when they go in the cabinet. any oil or grease trapped in the baffles will collect and hold the sand which will end up in the engine. the sand won't hurt the valve cover but the sand will hurt the engine.

Desoto291Hemi and Slopok like this.
  11. Did some BBC painted covers, with the drippers. No warping. It's worth it to tape off any areas that may trap grit particles. Pvc baffle on a SBC cover, as another example.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just an opinion, don't paint them.
    20170630_143459.jpg

13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I've had "0" problems with warping using siphon or cabinet.

14. atch

atch

That sure is purty, but looks expen$ive.