Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will an SBC bolt in here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyin'eye, Jun 19, 2005.

1. I just bought this 1948 F-1 from a local farmer for $175...SCORE!!!! I got it home, and after closer inspection, found that someone had fabbed up their own motor mounts, and "relieved" the front left area of the engine compartment with a torch....I have an 8BA I was planning on putting in there, but it looks like someone set this thing up for a small block chevy... I'm not a big GM guy, but if it will be an easy install, I'm game....The engine mount holes are approximately 17 inches apart. whats the width of the motor mount bolts on a chev?

2. Let me try again with the picture.....

3. Jesus......I give up

4. ...

5. Tony

Tony

Send me the pic via e-mail. I'll size it and post it for you.
    [email protected]

Tony

6. Tony

Tony

Here ya go.
    [​IMG]

7. Thanks Tony....You would think after a couple years on this board I would be able to post a picture...

8. sawzall

sawzall

it does appear to be set up for sbc.. however the flathead mounts are still there.. I'd cut those homemade mounts out.. and use the stock mounts to the front for the flattie/

jeff

9. I was kinda worried about using those stock mounts, since they ganked out a big chunk to clear the Chev fuel pump (I assume). The flathead I have needs some work, I think it would be cheaper to go buy a running SBC...

10. chopndrop

chopndrop

Yes it would.

I say put in the flatty anyway

11. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Fuel pump for Chevy is on the right/passenger side. I think Pontiacs had them on the left side. I would cut the crummy mounts out, repair the stock mount and get an old Hurst style saddle moutn for the Chevy. I think Speedway sells them new with the front rubber biscuit mounts and hardware. A flatty is cool but in a full size truck a SBC would be nice.

You could save up and doo the flatty the way you want it and install later.

12. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Why not put a Ford engine in your Ford truck? They fit real nice in those trucks.

13. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I think a Pontihack will go there from here.Put a pontiwhack in it and go fast cheap;) .LOL

T.OUT