Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will a T5 trans fit in 62 Ford Unibody F100 with Yblock V8?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jxnslotcar, Jul 11, 2010.

1. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I have a 62 unibody with a 292 Y block v8 and a Fordamatic auto trans. The trans is trashed from what I understand. No forward gears-just reverse. I have a T5 trans sitting on the floor and I am wondering if this could be bolted up to the 292 Y Block and if it can be-How ould you do it and what would be needed? I am not sure what is wrong with the auto trans that is in it and truthfully,this truck needs a lot of work and would be better if I could just repair the trans that is in it but I thought I would see what it would take to put the T5 in it just in case it works out that way. At least then I would know my options.
    On the other hand-any ideas as to what the Fordamatic might need with no forward gears? I am wondering if someone put Dexron trans fluid in it rather than Type F. I think Dexron would make it slip and possibly burn it up.

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

the guy swapped in that trans (hence the custom driveshaft) and he never hooked up trans cooler lines...that is why its trashed

3. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I had one of the other guys look at the truck. That truck would have had a Fordamatic come in the truck originally. What trans is in it now? I have not looked at it other than look for the headlight doors,ect. BTW,they weren't in the truck.

4. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I have no clue what was put in that truck...wasn't my truck, I just know the details the guy told my friend when he bought it

5. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

OK,I have body patch panels coming for the cab. I think it would be cool to put a T5 in it with a tall gear shift but also need to find out what would fix the trans that is in it.
    I have heard that there is a bell housing that would fit the Y Block allowing a person to bolt up a T5 trans. Curious as to who makes the adapter or bell housing,what clutch would be used,ect.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Will need a adapter which are available,cant remember who makes or sells it but its available.

7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I have heard that about the adapter thing, same goes with a c4 to bolt up to that y block

8. Mattilac

Mattilac

Been there, done that. I did it without an adapter plate though. You have to turn down the bearing retainer lip, fab up a new pilot bushing, and drill and tap a few new holes on the bellhousing to bolt it up to. Its pretty ghetto but has held up to my abuse just fine.

But, if you have the funds, an adapter plate is obviously the easier way to go.

9. hey as long as its working whats ghetto about it? post up some pic's of it.

10. Phil1934

Phil1934

11. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

First off what T5 do you have, Mustang, S10, what? What year?
    You need a truck bellhousing for a 292 with the side engine mounts. A 3 speed one can be modified by John Mummert to work with a 1984-1993 Mustang V8 T5. http://www.ford-y-block.com/t5in-trucks.htm. You can do the mods yourself if you are a good fabricator.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not sure what ghetto you live in.

As far as I am concerned, what you just stated is the exact opposite of ghetto.

The terms "turn", "fab", "drill and tap" are not used, nor are the definitions of known, here in my ghetto.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I been to your ghetto...Brothers there will 'turn' a boosted short, threaten their workin' girls to look 'fab', 'drill' you if you stare, and 'tap' some ho's. Yo, Homie.

14. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Still looking to put a T5 behind the Yblock. We are ging to pull the cab from the truck and put a 1950 Ford F1 cab on it-make it a bobber truck. The body on the unibody is just too far gone to make it worthwhile. I would like more info on how you did the fab on hooking the T5 behind the Yblock. I don't care whether it is ghetto or not,if it works and is reliable-nothing ghetto about it. thanks jim

15. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

here you go....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502086&highlight=t5

16. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

Working on putting a t-5 behind my 292. Been waiting for my bellhousing to come back from John Mummert. Hopefully everthing goes together good.

17. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

The T-5 behind the 292 is very common and can be done. Just follow the thread on on the Yblocksforever website and John Mummunt's in the previous post. The big thing when doing the T-5 conversion is making sure that you can put a S10 tail shaft on the back of the trans that you have to move the shifter up to almost the stock location. Otherwise you'll have to get pretty creative on the shifter being behind the seat almost. (linkage)That and having a tailshaft the still has a mechanical speedo on it for an easier hookup. I think 1992 was the last year but I may be wrong on the year. Makes a completely different vehicel when you get it done and well worth it in the long run.

Michael

18. mikline127

mikline127

speedway motors might have the right bellhousing adapter then you would just use the stock one bellhousing. you would have to check it out and as far as the s-10 t-5 thats about the best bet. found a websit that ran one on a 51 flat head i think. here is that link:
    http://systemv.us/clemmie/trans-t5.html

and i do believe that Unibodyguy is right with the 92 the only thing is i think that in the 90 - 92s they are an electronic speedo maybe. i know in that link they where able to use the stock speedo cable screwed right into the s-10 t-5. hope this helps!

19. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

The other thing too on adapters, if you have a 4speed, or 3 speed bellhousing. One just needs an adapter the other needs to have the housing redrilled and taped. Can't remember which is which. Need to take my medication I guess.

Michael

20. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

Four speed needs an adapter, three speeds need housing re-drilled and a throw-out bearing.

21. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar