Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wide white wall steel trim rings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edelbroke, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Does anyone know the brand name of this vintage wide white wall trim ring? One of mine got damaged and need to find another. Will buy a whole set, im just trying to find out what there called to better search for them. Mine have a narrow stainless trim ring in the inside edge. They are for a 16 inch rim. I have them on a 38 Ford 2dr sedan.
    Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These things are (were?) called Porter walls or Porta walls. I think most came from JC Whitney in Chicago and they are still in business. Be aware that if you buy something from them, you will get a catalog a month for the rest of your life!

Maybe the Porter walls were the floppy white side walls things that got tucked into the bead and the tire reinflated.

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

If you are talking about the steel kind--I believe there were a couple with one being Lion (Leon?) brand. I could be wrong on the name. I gave up on them because I believe there were several styles which differed with whose wheels you were using in addition to different diameters. They were introduced during WWII as there were no whitewalls available then or shortly thereafter. They are on the bay once in a while and I have seen them at flea markets but as noted there are different styles and fitments.

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Let us see a pic of your sedan...

5. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

6. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I've always heard of them being referred to as "spats".

302GMC and Hnstray like this.
  7. Porta walls are the rubber "flappers" that like to part company at about 70 MPH on the highway. I have seen similar rigid types made of plastic.
    We call fender skirts "spats" in these parts.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Dozens of brands - became kinda popular right after WWII because WW tires weren't available until sometime in '47. Same spats were sold in stainless, chromed steel, plastic, painted, & combinations of the above.