Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wide Five Spindles Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedcrazy58, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Speedcrazy58

Speedcrazy58
    from New Jersey

Hey guys, I need some help. I'm putting together my 29 A front axle from superbell 4 in drop. I am using what I believe to be 39-42 hydraulic backing plates and I believe 38 wide five hubs and drums. I'm wondering what spindles would fit for this since the neck on the hub and race are much farther out. I know there is a thread on here for the difference in the spindle sizes and i can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. I do have a set of spindles but they are to short. I'm not sure on the year that they are for.

2. '39 hydraulic brakes used the same drums and hubs as '37-'38 mechanical brakes. As Skidmarks already noted, if it's not fitting together you have '36 front drums/hubs. If you were closer, I could help you out on a pair of '37-'39 front hubs/drums, imagine they'd be expensive to ship, you could probably find a pair closer to home.

3. fryguy

fryguy

Just want to see if you guys know if since the 39's used the same hubs and drums as the 37-38 is the only difference the backing plates? Can you use the same brake shoes from the 37-38 on the 39's?

Fryguy

4. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

'39-'48 backing plates can be used on '37-'48 spindles with '37-'48 drums and hubs. Shoes on the '37-'38 mechanical brake backing plates CANNOT be used on the later backing plates. DD

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

For ID purposes the silver drum is 37-39 and the other is 36

Attached Files:

6. fryguy

fryguy

Excellent info, thank you

7. oj

oj

Uh-oh, what year where they 2 piece?

8. fryguy

fryguy

As far as I found out. All Wide five drums are two piece. The inner and outer drum. You remove the lug bolts and separate the drum into two pieces. I maybe wrong on that so someone may correct me

Fryguy

9. Just the rears (as far as I know) are two piece? My '39 rears are anyway. My front drums are one piece.
    *edit* I just looked at another set of fronts that I have and they are two piece. Hmmm?

10. fryguy

fryguy

So all rears were 2 piece drums?

11. 55willys

55willys

Early drums were one piece and later 39' and truck are two piece. They were not all made by the same manufacture so they have many small differences. Jim Ford