Register now to get rid of these ads!

why won't my engine start?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56PontiacPiano, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When the mouse/rat nest was partially removed from the intake area you left alot of crud ... I suspect the coil to dist GOING INTO THES SIDE OF THE DIST wire is damaged or grounding out ... If all the tests with a light were done as noted earlier you should have heard a pop or snort in the carb with some good fuel ...and when all these battery wires/cables were replaced they need to be rechecked also ... Sounds like a side terminal battery was used so make sure the connections are good... not to long of bolts were used and that all ground to frame and engine starps are clean where they touch metal a little rust (wet areas)will prevent the completed circuit

2. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

Keep working at it when you have time, 56Pontiac. You will get it. I knew just a little more than you when I got started working on my car just last year. Unless you replace a lot of the old parts beforehand, a lot of times the weakest link will konk out on you, just because the car hasn't been driven in a while. My car ran "ok" when I first bought it, but then the fuel pump went out, the carb started giving me problems, etc. But when you finally get everything running good, you will have a fun and reliable car.

3. UPDATE
    so my friend came over to help today. Before we even did anything, we found out my new battery is leaking acid, and A LOT. So everything is on hold for now. Could that be the culprit, an extremely leaky new battery? In the mean time, Im working on cosmetics in the interior. Got new knobs today and should be getting my new glove box too...amazing what a little polish does to the chrome/stainless.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Shat ap"...lol...that's funny Sterling. Uh-oh...Mr. willys is so concerned about us unjustly using band width to help the OP, he's gonna tell on us...lol. willys, this stuff isn't "easy" for somebody who has never done it before. Your suggestions are good ones, but they aren't the only method. Always more than one way to skin a cat. Fine...go. Meanwhile, some of us'll hang with the OP until he finds the problem. Ya know...everybody here has something to offer to those who might be a step behind you. Some of you are good with more complicated things...transmissions, blowers, etc...and you can help with that stuff, but might not have the time or patience to walk somebody through the basics. I understand that. I have experience with some stuff, but not other things...so I'll help with the "easy" stuff...lol. And someday, the OP can help somebody else who's a step behind him. And so it goes.

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto,....WD40 in the distributor, blow dry it after, and try it. Can't count how many I rescued at the local self serve car wash with that !!

4TTRUK

6. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

Batteries. Actually I had a battery problem too. It took three different 6V batteries before I finally got a good one. Luckily, they kept exchanging them out for me no charge.

And yah, I love polishing up the ol chrome and stainless as well!

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be sure to hose off all the acid real good. Just water will do it.

Ummm...with a plastic bag over the distributor...lol.

Glad you've got somebody to help. Let us know how it goes.

8. phat rat

phat rat

With his 37 posts on this thread maybe it's time he did more than just say no that can't be it and keep asking what to do when he's been told numerous times by many different guys what to check and how to do it. Yes everyone has to start someplace but they also have to learn to listen. How many times does a person have to be told what steps to take before they decide to listen? Okay I'm down off the soapbox

9. George/Maine

George/Maine

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    This is a way to check for spark.
    1 remove dist cap and take center wire out hold 1/2" away from medal.
    2 turn engine to close points .
    3 get a pencil piece of wood platic ect.
    4turn key on
    5make and brake by hand opening points.
    6 no spark
    7bad condenser, broken wire.
    8 dist shaft could be loose worn busing

Checking spark at plug the engine has to turn twice,
    If you do as Simon says you will know quick.
    best hold the end of wire if you get shock then put the ground.

10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have just finished an O/T '68 Chevy truck with my step son so i understand how overwhelming things can get for someone who is new to the hobby. Don't give up 56Pontiac!! You will get it. You should study some basic engine theory so you have an idea about what it takes to make an engine run(gas spark compression etc.)A little bit of knowledge of how and why carbs and distributors etc. work will make trouble shooting easier. Buy a manual for your car and read it! Good Luck!:)

11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Nope. If it's cranking the engine over it's doing its job. Leaky or not.

12. No, If the battery is turning over the motor, that fact that it is leaking is not the problem. BUT ~ Why is it leaking, did you drop it? Have you had it on a charger and over charged it? There has to be a reason for this! They don't leak for sport.

13. Be careful Don, he's gonna yell at like you like Adam sander.

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is listening. He's had some gliches. You counted his posts, but didn't read 'em all.

15. over tightening the side terminal bolts with too long of bolts will crack them out - leak and disconnect the post internally
    hmmmmmmm

but then it should not crank over
    are the ign. wires from the soloinoid connected -corroded

16. RatPin

RatPin

Nothing to add here that has not already been mentioned 10 times but I just had to ask...Cokers or Diamondbacks??

[​IMG]

17. phat rat

phat rat

Yes I've read them all and know he's not really listening and doing what is suggested. Upteen dozen guys have given good advice which has been virtually ignored. His last thing about the battery is just another example

18. I'm thinking we've got a typical tweener

19. I have to agree with Phat. He's been given half a dozen suggestions on how to check for spark and has done none of them. Pull the effin' coil wire, crank it over and see if it sparks. Quit dicking around with starting fluid and leaky batteries. If I weren't 3000 miles away, I'd swing by and have it running in 10 minutes

20. Scumdog

Scumdog

Condensation under the distibutor cap from washing off the degreasing compound...damhik!

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ohhhhh, horsepoop...lol. You're both wrong.

OP: "God willing I'll figure out whats up taking everyone's advice. I'll check the wire from distributor to coil, I'll check the spark plugs make sure they aren't gummed up or covered in crap, and ground them and check for sparks, and everything else."

What more do you want? He's not ignoring anybody. He's doing the best he can, considering everything. He had a couple gliches...learning curve with reinstalling the distributor cap, a leaking battery, weather, and he's not feeling too well to boot. How can he "stop dickin' around" with the leaky battery? He can't go any further without taking care of that first. Though you or I might be able to get 'er running "in 10 minutes", you know damn well that when you're new to someting, it can get pretty confusing...despite all the suggestions...and mayb even partly due to them. We're always talkin' about bringing new blood into the hobby. So here's your chance. But nooooooo...you'd rather talk shit about the new guy (easy target) and try to make yourself out to be geniouses. :rolleyes:

22. Sulphuric Acid = not flammable.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. How many times have I heard of a battery blowing up, yet sulphuric acid isn't flammable? I wasn't aware of this. Hell, is something wrong with being safe? I had countless people tell me GET THAT BATTERY OUT THE CAR NOW. First a broken terminal that was smoking and now a leaking battery. I have bad luck. I'm 16 years old I can't find a job so it's not like I just have money to constantly buy new things. unless like I said, you all would like to buy me this stuff. Then that's fine. But that's not gonna happen, so shut your traps and quit being immature.
    Sheez, I thought forums were a helpful place. Here, 60 percent of the stuff i'm receiving is horse-sh*t from immature impatient fools who like to stereotype. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm a dick. But if it does, many of you must be young too :)

24. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Wanna try the spark thing with a bad battery? Just cover the battery with a towel. Now, unscrew one of the spark plugs, it matters not which one, pick the easiest one to get to, or the one farthest away from that nasty battery. Now, it it out of the engine, but still connected to it's plug wire, position it so that the threaded portion is touching the engine block. Now, have someone try to start the engine. Look at the plug tip while the engine is cranking. Do you see a spark across the plug gap? If not, and making sure it's touching the engine, then you have an ignition problem......something amiss in the dizzy, bad coil, bad wire connection between the coil and ignition switch, dizzy's ground wire is broken, etc. I hope this helps.

25. budd

budd

i remember the first time i asked someone how to check for spark on an old car i had when i was 14, he said, " here hold onto the wire while i turn the engine over" when he heard me yell he gets out of the car and say, " i guess we have spark"

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Take a couple of steps back, take a deep breathe... and chill out man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.