Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why The Jersey Suede Can’t Get No Lovin’ This Year

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 43gman, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Rivet

Rivet

That stance IS rad!!! What's the recipe? What size tires are those?

Absolutely killer A!

2. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Lance,
    As said by everyone else on here, very cool, your workmanship and ideas speak for themselves, drive the shit outta it. Nice to see you back.:D

Later,
    Billy

3. Spike!

Spike!

lookin' good Lance!

Spike

4. Everything about this build is just so right. Also, PLEASE don't change a thing on Suede - that's my all time favourite car, period.

5. sawzall

sawzall

awesome!

congrats on the retirement..

6. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Beautiful truck, Lance! Love it, and I'm blown away by all the engineering on that marine motor. I'd like to hear that baby run! Awesome job and a belated congrats on your retirement!

7. bigolds

bigolds

Never seen anything wrong ever come from your pen or shop!!!! Awesome talent!!!!

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Peachy pickup! Very cool...:cool:

9. Stance is EVERYTHING and you nail it every time, along with the details. So far I've only had the pleasure of seeing your Chevy pickup in person, but hopefully I'll get to see the rest of the fleet some day.
    Brett

10. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

Tire sizes are 135 x15's from Firestone (Coker has them) and the rears are Cooper Discover radials 245/70R 16's. I used them on Diane's Vicky and they ride great but have just a tad more meat than a 235.

11. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

Ol 55,

We still have the Vicky. It's Diane's ride and she drives it to the store every now and then, used to drive it to work at the high school where the kids went nuts and basically enjoys it as a driver. It's got a very healthy Nailhead and she LOVES loud engines. She's great!!

12. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

Vaphead,

I remember picking that steering wheel up from you years ago and we didn't seem to know what it was from, but it was pretty cool looking. I originally had it in the B-400, but after looking a little out of place, I realized that it looked like a cut down early Ford, PERFECT for what I was trying to do with the 'A' project. It's just right!! It wasn't until a couple of years ago I was at a show and looked inside a Crosley and saw the same wheel. BINGO!! Kind of a nice simple unit. I still have an idea for the center of the hub (horn), so it'll be cooler at that point.

Good hearing from you.

13. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

Time Traveler,

The Suede will remain the same visually, but I have a few additions and upgrades planned mechanically. I had a number of rodders talk to me at the Nats this year about getting The Suede back on the road. Di has wanted that for a few years now. So we discussed it and decided that when the 'A' is done (this winter), we'll start getting the coupe back together again. I'm psyched. I've got the time now and just have to make sure the budget is there to do it right.

14. Nice pickup....

BTW a bit off topic Lance, tell your brother Scott, that Bill from HTL says hello.

15. Lance, the truck looks awesome, sits great!

16. il gorilla

il gorilla
    from Australia

Thanks for the update on Lance, glad to hear he is wrenching on the pick up.
    Keep thrashing!!
    Tommy Flathead - Australia

17. bonesy

bonesy

That is my favorite truck - hands down. The look just works.

18. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Lance, Your "A" Peek Cup is looking Bitchin' ! The stance is typical Sorchick. Keep us posted on your Build.

41 Dave

19. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

Jersey, good to see you got it all sorted out. Nothing like drivin a project for the first time. Did you end up usin the Chevy II or S 10 oil pan? The front sump is about the only drawback on the boat engines.

20. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

Count,

I ended up finding an oil pan from one of those Chevy vans from the early 60's that had the sump in the rear and it bolts up to the Mercrusier block perfectly. They even sent the pick up with the pan when they shipped it. It's literally a mirror image. Once that was figured out, the intake/header was the most "complex" piece of the puzzle.

This thing has 327 Chevy pistons (flattops), bored .030. decked head and block. Everything else is stock Mercruiser, including the cam, which if you check it against Isky specs, is considered a 3/4 race cam. It's got a really cool overlap in the idle and revs up quickly. Lots of fun.

Time to drive!!

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looks killer Lance.

22. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

just a little heads up on the motor guys.

a tech write up about it is being planned.just it is a 3 man job. and not small by any means. the little chevy 2 /nova/van banger motor. also uses a lot of early small block parts, which makes for a easy job.

this motor in indusriail form comes with slugs of 8.2,dished,9.25,flattop and 10.5, dombed. each is special?? for this motor due to the 3.599 inch stroke.research is still being done as to what fits from what.
    the flat tops lance is useing are of the 4.000 inch bore but have no valve pockets like a small block. the 10.5 propane.ng slugs are special for the chamber of the L block. as said before there are a lot of tricks gm is useing.as it keeps this one right up to 2010 carb specs.

lance was lucky! and i do mean lucky. his block was a 1985. so the oil pan from the old p10 box van fit his motor. in 1986 gm made the swap to the one piece rear main seal. so now any one wanting to, has to cut the pan at the rail and try to reverse enginer the pan. or do like we did when first fitting a deep pan7 qt. for v8 into the nova. drill a pair of holes though it weld in a chunk of tubeing, and push the tie rod right though the hole

with this said the easier swap now would be finding a marine 4.3 v6. which came with either a 2 barrel or a Q jet quad. rear sump pan and a ton of hot rod parts on the store shelfs.

more to follow.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  23. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

with a p.s as i can't type fast enough not to be logged off.

the swap is easy. if a late model motor is used with the newer head. one can buy right from gm. a 1 barrel cast iron intake and single exhaust cast iron mainfold for a generator or fork lift truck. it's just as said the oil pan becomes a problem. the fix is to do a one off custom for you self.

fuel wise right now the marine models still come with a carb.but are slowly changing to mpfi with water cooled cats. so even the days of marine carbs are numbered.

24. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

lance come on post up the bed and fuel tank. another trick job aka style of the 48 chevy. and more marine parts for the filler.

25. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Like the dash. I too used a chevy in a ford. Truck looks great

Attached Files:

26. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

Small world. Dash looks cool!! Lots of character!!

27. dt50chev

dt50chev

I don't want to hihack this thread. I have heard about Lance's old Chevy truck and can't seem to find any pictures of it anywhere. Can you post up a picture or two of it?

28. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Great little A pick up, well done! Perfect stance!

29. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

My first attempt at building a transmission cover. A couple of bends with a home made sheet metal break and lots of vise grip/ hammer and dolly action. I'm pretty proud of it. Hate to cover it up now.

Hope the images load.

30. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

One more time. Got it this time...

Attached Files: