Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is Goodguys in PA. is not catchin' on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yekoms, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. People like to piss and moan to get their 5 minutes of fame, easy on a message board, Try writing a decent letter with your concerns, maybe then you would get some results. Pot shots on here don't change a thing in most cases. Better still try it your way.

2. We are tough and used to the dirt out here. Our horses prefer it to walk on insteak of pavement!@:eek:

The issue with an area like this is a gated venue for controlled access.

Our fairgrounds are pretty sparse. Some of the Rally venues would be the best bet. Broken Spoke Campground, Chip or Full throttle.

3. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

First thing I saw at Columbus Good-Guys was that baby blue lesabre wagon...................still think about that car in my dreams lol

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Kirk: As I posted above, I live near Pocono Raceway in Monroe County. I generally attend all the local cruises and events in the region, including into the Lehigh Valley (Allentown area) and northwestern New Jersey. I'll tell you that there are hundreds upon hundreds of potential participants (and spectators) that DID NOT and DO NOT attend GG Pocono mainly because they don't know about it. Your marketing department is missing an opportunity to turn this into a successful event.

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

I agree 10000%! Those things would be hideous at any show and should not be allowed at Goodguys events. If anyone who agrees could write a letter or even an email addressing the fact, it would really help me make my case.

You can send it to [email protected]

6. hemi

hemi

If nothing else, about Pocono, getting to make three laps around the 2.5-mile speedway without going to jail should be worth at least half of the price. I rode with a guy in a '62 Vette to take track cruise pictures, and we hit 130 on the front stretch... Richard Petty raced there.

There are a lot of traditionally-styled cars that come out. There is a good mix... and I would venture to say that at that venue, 90% of the show car parking was on pavement. We didn't have anyone on dirt.

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

How's your dignity?

8. hemi

hemi

Oh, it's totally wounded. All that asphalt covered up with cars and happy people...

I'm a little offended... I mean, I only ran into ONE grumbly character the entire weekend, and I think he was Grumpy dwarf's taller brother. Apparently we should have let him stand along the outer pit wall during the track cruise launch and nobody else.

9. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

So back to it.....is there a theory on why this show is deemed unsuccessful by the op. Is it car count or lack of vendors or something else? What can WE do to help.....with any of the shows. I feel the same way as op about Joliet (Joilet?).

10. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

I went to the GG show when it was at Carlisle. They put on a good event. I would like to go to one again but the concern I have with Long Pond is the time of year. As someone said before the weather that far north is too unpredictable this time of year to invest in the entrance fee and two nights of hotel bills. Hopefully constructive input that will help.

11. Muttley

Muttley

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes ... I agree :D

Things do change ... I am a lifetime NSRA member and I have preferred the NSRA style of event over the more late model style of GoodGuys. Just the difference between Chocolate and Vanilla :D :D.

Now that the cutoff is 30 years for the NSRA ... I am liking the GG deal better.

BOTTOM LINE ...

If you like a organization and it's events you should GO and support them. :) If not ... stay home and let those who do want to go and enjoy them ... do so in peace.

Keep your moaning, bitching and whinning a$$ at home so the ones who want to go can have a GOOD TIME :eek:

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I can't believe I sat here and read this whole thread...whiners.

Bring the show to Tulsa. We have a huge fairground and a shitload of nice hotels and restaurants.

We're centrally located to the entire country and we have indoor plumbing...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. KIRK!

KIRK!

As long as there's no dirt or fences.

15. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'd go to Tulsa...it's only 8 hours from here...I've been to the fairgrounds, it's good...sorta reminds me of Des Moines...and the indoor plumbing is awesome...!!!

Besides, I'd get to hang with 3W Larry...right...wouldn't I...???

R-

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well I didn't know it was going on first off . Second we had a very nice big local show for a fire department and had a huge turn out too . Had good food and it was free to get it ! When the working man has to spend that kind of money to get in a show , plus pay to sleep and eat . How can someone plan to speed that much money plus put the high priced gas into your car .

Anyway it's at a very poor time of the year . It's the end of the summer when every place under the sun will have their last big car show to end the season . So how do you choice where to go . By this time if you have kids you are spending all your money on cloths and book stuff and anything else they need for school . That comes first at this time of year , Now you also have the huge swap meet to end the year at Carsile this week then the biggest car show on the east coast at Hershey next week . Now I can see an awful lot more for my money than one GG show and I can get into both shows and park for less than the price of admission of one GG show !
    If I want to go to another Street Rod show I will go in June , 20 mins from my house to see the same cars/trucks that will be at the GG show . As for me I am on a fixed income and need to choose which shows to go to and driving for 2+ hours to pay that much money to see the same cars I already saw at the last street rod show doesn't make since to me at all !

If it's in the summer time when we all have more money to spend , you might see some more people show up !
    Would love to see them at the Giant center in Hershey , Pa. !

Retro Jim

18. yekoms

yekoms

Kirk!
    Thanks for your time. You are a stand up guy.
    Thanks to everyone else involved or readin' this thread. I hope that a few things were learned from this thread by all.
    I did hear this event on the radio for about two weeks before the event. It was on 93.3 WMMR out of Philly.
    I know that you will let us know about the future of this event as soon as you can so we can get the word out...I hope that it's back.
    For me an event that you can do things with your car is way better than just sittin' behind it. I didn't hear anybody come off of the track or autocross sayin' "wow that costed too much" I did here a bunch of "Holy shit that was a blast I'm gettin' back in line"
    Have a good one,Smokey

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  19. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

First year, Went as a spectator.
    Second year, took 1 car.
    Third year, took 2 cars (granted that was to get my camper drivers in cheaper) but it was great. Was worth the price for just saturday.
    Better food would be a plus.
    Would hate to loose this event.
    Next year I want you to find me some dust though!
    Can't stand all that clean blacktop.
    Bought my wiring harness for the next project there on sunday.
    Jim

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'd even let you buy the first beer rog!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Bash this bash that when i go to a show i only look at cars i like. I hear alot of talk about peeps driving there rods..But i drive mine 4 / 5 times a week and i dont see any out. Gold chainer or not if you dont support the show then im sure they will go away all together.

22. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

In my lifetime of being involved with the customer I have seen first hand that it is impossible to please all. What makes one a happy camper can just as easily piss another off.

I travel to 6-7 GG's events a year. Yes there are little things that could make these weekends better. But for most of those things one would have to place his complaints with the oil companies for the price of fuel, complaints with the hotel chains for the inflated room rates, prayer requests for less rain etc.....

But as for my complaints for the GG's folks, I have none. Just keep up the great work and continue to provide me and my family the greatest weekends of the year.

23. bkhpah

bkhpah
    from Latrobe PA

I attended GG Pocono last weekend, and had a great time. True the layout was not very easy to negotiate, but I still enjoyed it. The car count was low I suspect, since this was my first time. I did Hershey and I did like it better. Saturday seemed busy, but at such a vast layout its hard to get a feel for just how many people were there. For me, I had to go solo this time, but I met a bunch of people and talked to even more. My cost was $55.00 to enter, and my membership is good to sometime in 2013. I for one enjoy the monthly magazine. I feel that that itself is worth the money. Greedguys is not a fair title for what I see. I cannot imagine the amount of work, and money it takes to put on a show of this size. No matter how well a show is run, I don't care, you will always have haters. I hope PA does not lose this show. Another PA venue is fine, but not killing the show...BKH

24. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

25. I love the Pacific Northwest, our Good Guys event is in the middle of summer, 3,000 or so cars of a lot of different varieties. Always a great turn out, and well put on. Sure I could see, to some it can seem expensive, but what entertainment isn't? I hope you guys can work out a better weather friendly time of year for your event. I would think resolving that one issue would bring in the number of cars and spectators to make it successfull. I for one enjoy the huge variety, and number of cars that turn out, sure not all of them suit my taste, but enough of them do.

26. hemi

hemi

They should give away free food, I guess... and shirts, and wash your car for you. :rolleyes:

Pocono had a cool cafe on the backside of the cup garage that had just about everything under the sun, and it wasn't any more expensive than eating out somewhere. I had a good-sized meatball sub that I almost couldn't finish, a tub of fries and a big fountain Mountain Dew for $12... I didn't feel raped.

In fact, today I spent nearly that (like ten bucks) at Publix for an Italian sub from their deli and a 20oz bottle of soda and didn't have any fries.

But, like stated, Goodguys always has NOTHING to do with the food or parking prices. Those are through the venue. And if you can't swing lunch, ransack your cupboards and picnic.... I bet you'd probably eat more money's worth of food than you'd spend just buying lunch.

27. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Kirk,
    Your’e amazing, showing the tact and patience that you have. It’s pretty clear what a couple of boneheads armed with keyboards are capable of. Bottom line boy’s…. don’t like it? Don’t go. The rest of us seem to have a hell of a good time

28. 54GMC

54GMC
    from NY

1 lack of advertising, did not hear about it untill the week before
    2 time of year, other shows and weather
    3 for those of us that can only make one day, too much $$$$

go farther north and put one at Watkins Glen

29. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I really like this idea! Of course, I live in upstate NY, so what's not to like about a GG's venue close to home?

With the proper advertising push, combined with the very attractive venue, together with the number of car nuts in the adjacent area, I see this location as a real possibility. But, I also remember when Hot Rod sponsored a deal at the Glen and it was a flop. Additionally, one of my friends put together a show at the Glen and it was a disaster, but not from lack of advertising and effort on his part. So, while the Glen has so many positives, the unknown seems to jump up and bite a show promoter on the ass.

Still, I would really like to see the GG's try to put something together at Watkin's Glen. The track and the surrounding area are just beautiful.

Kirk, do you have any comments?

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

These are good ideas. This is just the kind if input that is actually useful.

I'll pass it along to the group.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.