Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why Hurst shifters are better

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, Oct 13, 2014.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is another thread going about concerning column shifts used for drag racing in the 50's and 60's. It got kind of off track onto a discussion of floor shift conversion kits. I thought I'd start a new thread about the conversion kits so the other thread doesn't go even farther off track.

One of the things I do is buy old floor shift kits and parts when I find them cheap enough. Lately, I was able to buy a Hurst 3-speed kit for $10 because someone had altered the handle. I have taken some pictures of it so all can see why the Hurst conversions were superior to most of the rest. I have also included picture of a Fenton shifter from the same era so all can see the difference. (BTW, in my opinion, the Fenton was one of the higher quality second tier conversion kits.)

The first thing you notice is that the mechanism of the Hurst is surrounded by a heavy duty "housing". Not only does this housing mount with 2 bolts for greater rigidity, it has provisons for "stops"" for all the forward gears to prevent an overzealous operator from hitting the gears too hard and causing problems. You can see one of the holes where these stops go. They are merely threaded holes into which 3/8" bolts with locknuts are inserted, allowing infinte adjustability. If you look at the Fenton, all the mechanism is supported on one larger bolt. Not only will this allow the mechanism to twist on hard shifts, there is no provison for "stops" because there simply is no housing.

As an aside, I am in the process of equipping my '51 club coupe with vintage Fenton speed equipment (I have everything but the heads), and therefore want to use the Fenton in it. I plan on making a housing for this unit by replacing the two outermost washers with some fabricated metal plates that will tie together and also provide a place to put in the "shift stops". The housing will also give me another point to pick up a nother mounting point, so the shifter can be mounter more rigidly to the transmission.

Attached Files:

2. jerry

jerry

I like the comparison pictures. Always been lucky enough to find Hurst shifters when needed.

Recently I picked up a Hurst Indy 3 speed shifter with the saginaw mount and arms! For $10!

jerry