Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why Does This Happen to Dash Gauges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, Jun 26, 2017.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Just wondering why this happens & the best way to clean it.
    Thanks
    Josh
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

no idea what that is...my guess is that you want to take it apart and clean it, whatever it is.

3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The gasket melts ...happened on my 50 plymouth

dana barlow and squirrel like this.
  4. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Melts because hot from electricity or hot from just sitting in the sun?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mike in tucson likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Oh yeah....that gasket....

6. I drove through Chino in my delivery one summer day. I can totally understand why your lens gasket melted! replace it with a thin cork gasket. And lube up the speedo and cable while you're at it.

7. It's called Age. The Kurse of all things,,,,,,,even us.
    The Wizzard

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I have seen some black vehicles down here that the paint has literally burned off of them. No joke you can fry an egg on the roof of black car down here in summer. I have known folks that got 2nd degree burns wearing shorts from sitting on hot black vinyl seats. They could not get off of them quick enough.

9. Sitting in the sun. Have seen this many times, you might get lucky with a razor blade to remove it. Then the lens and housing might be "glued" together.

10. BJR

BJR

That looks like my 49 Buick gauges. There is a gasket under the glass that melts and then gets hard as rock. You need to pry open the crimps holding the chrome ring on and take it all apart. A razor blade works good to remove the gasket from the glass. Now would be a good time to re paint the inside of the cup white also.

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scrape as much as you can off with a razor like @BJR mentioned. Then BrakeKleen to get the remnants off.

12. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Fords seem to be the worse. Here's a 53 Ford I cleaned up years ago. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Guys... I was polishing the outer rims of my Romeo Palemides wheels awhile ago, and Mother's alum & mag polish didn't touch the haze and water spots. (some stain, also: Very similar to PURPLEPEOPLEEATER'S '53 bezel above!)
    I had this 'stuff' in my cabinet I decided to try...It's called "Brite Boy", rubbed it on and with a LITTLE rubbing, it instantly removed the 'film' left by Mother's!
    Man...Brite Boy cuts through water spots, old film, stains, etc.! Try it... The job PEOPLEEATER did on the rest of that cluster deserves it!

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Never heard of that . Where do you get it ?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

16. Boy , GOOD thread. I have had those problems with of some of my old cars and never knew what to do with them.Thanks to you all for the information. Bruce.

17. WOW that really cleaned up good.Great job!!!!Bruce.

18. That is anodized aluminum and you have to be a little gentle with it. Bright Boy seems to be a good compromise. When you have chrome that isn't bubbled with underlying rust but has that blotchy rust red scum on it, try the more aggressive 3M rubbing compound. It would scratch up the anodized metal so don't try it there but on the harder, scummy chrome it restores it to show quality most times.