Register now to get rid of these ads!

WHY do people insist on hiding car parts on CARS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

You can hide stuff and steal make it serviceable. I like things to be clean, I don't like to see wires dangling from under the dash, and hanging out of a hole in the firewall.

2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I like nicely laid out wiring, fuel lines, carbs, ect. But take the time to do a class job not a factory how can I save $.02 in wiring or it easier this way out.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't think I read where anyone recommended sloppy bullshit work. That's certainly not what I was talking about.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Thats why they have Rat Rods.

5. flamed34

flamed34

I have another post on here from yesterday talking about my MC being under dash...so whether this question was started from that thread or not, it hits close to home.

On my '34 Chevy, the MC was frame mounted - not firewall mounted. Because of frame modifications, I don't have clearance for a frame mounted unit. I also don't have the pedals, etc. I'm sure if I had the pedals, I would have made it work. However, I picked up a real nice 90 degree MC and Wilwood hydraulic clutch set up (hyd clutch required for the T5 I'm running). It's normally a $400 + unit that I picked up for $175 brand new from a vendor having a rough weekend at a local swap meet. I could not have purchased the pedals and Wilwood hyd clutch cylinder for frame mount for that price - and putting a MC and clutch cylinder on the firewall would have been a travesty.

As for wiring, etc - some things should be seen, but there's nothing worse in my eye than a nice car with a rat's nest criss-crossing the engine compartment. I want to see spark plug wires, coil wires, etc - but I don't want to see wires for various accessories and crap all over the place.

6. Custom cars are supposed to look good with the hood closed. You can put the master inside the car so you ride on it instead of a seat for all I care, but it's going to be tough not to spill brake fluid on the carpet in there.

A hoodless hot rod looks better when someone takes the time to make sure things are done neatly, but I expect to see wiring and things, otherwise it looks like a plastic model kit.

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The master cylinder, a '62 Chevy truck one, will be hanging off of No Quarter's firewall like a big sore thumb, (using old, chromed Ansen hanging pedals).... displayed proudly in chrome....just like the old days.....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I don't want to see a rainbow of multi color wires under the hood- no matter who built it. Neat organized multi colored wires exposed under the hood look like shit.
    So- I sleeve the ugly multi color wires in black nylon braid w/ shrink wrap ends.
    It's hidden right in plain sight.

My MC is under the dash & I can access it in less than 5 minutes. More accessible than under the floor IMO.

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

What is this you speak of? Something for rich people to have done?:confused:

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Cause it looks better... nuff said. :cool:

11. KATFISH

KATFISH

I think Troy Trepanier started that stuff about 15 years ago with that bronze 39 Chevy that was all the rage then.

12. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Agreed.. I never understood the hood under the hood idea. I expect, some day, to see someone put a hood under the hood that's under the hood.

Maybe as a tribute to Rex Kramer...

13. Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Thriftmaster [​IMG]
    In some cases it is a matter of not fitting on the fire wall. Ex: 31 model A channeled the width of the frame(4") The guy wants swing pedals and power disk brakes but he has a 392 Hemi stuffed in the engine bay. Where do you mount the master and vacuum booster??
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Why would he need power brakes?

Well I run drums myself as I like simplicity and traditional styling, but several of my friens run disk and they are power actuated. I guess with all the off shore drivers up here they prefer to be able to stop fast.
    The bottom line is there isn't always room on the fire wall with some of the bigger over head engines especially if you channel a model A or T heavy.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

14. i think it comes from building models as a kid, before learning how to wire and plumb them (something i still dont do to models much)

i dont "hide" anything but i try hard to make my engines as clean as possible

one thing i hate is seeing where someone needed to wire in say an electric fan and they used 5 feet too much wire and its just left hanging allover under the hood and wrapped around stuff , im like is it really that much harder to static lay out the wire and then cut it to fit?

my friend in high school used to do that stuff( still does) i believe he had a thousand wires just hanging out from under his dash in front of the pedals (for his aftermarket guages and radio) and under the hood looked like a wire factory exploded i gave him crap about it all the time , he just shrugged his shoulders and said i just wanted it fixed dont care how it looks

and the thing that really bites my ass is sparkplug wires that are 3 feet too long to which ever plug they go to its not that hard to trim the wires to fit most guys (like this) i think buy a custom make set of wires and dont realize they are supposed to be shortened or something so the just trim the end and put the terminal on and there ya go ...it runs if your under hood looks like this please keep the hood shut

15. jokerjason

jokerjason

Some people just like to re-invent the wheel!!! JMO, JOKER JASON.

16. Guys were doing it at least 15 years before that! Particularly Boyd, Lil John, Don Thelan, Chuck Lombardo and others.

17. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I don't think anyone has ever accused me of hiding stuff in my enginebay...

[​IMG]

18. 2002p51

2002p51

I'm another one who doesn't mind components that show but I can't stand sloppy wiring with crap running all over.

I've got a dual master cylinder, fuel block, and fuel pressure regulator, all out in the open on my firewall. But you have to look to find the wiring.

I like wiring neat, bundled, and tied. Same with brake lines and such. I want nice even bends, straight runs, and clipped to the frame every few inches.

It just looks better that way.

19. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

When i replace my engine & go through my engine bay, im going to keep it all visable. But running wires, hoses, lines & cables in a tastefull way? Sounds good to me.
    The M/C's already under the car stock, so there it will stay.

20. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yeah, and who was it that invented valve covers? I like to see the pushrods and rocker arms dance up and down like in the good old days.

To each his own. I like a neat and clean engine compartment. Neatly routed wires, hoses, and tubing make for easier diagnosis, maintenance, and repair of stuff. In the early 1970s manufacturers started adding all kinds of accessories, plumbing, and wiring to cars and the engines got buried in a bird's nest of crap. Hiding and tucking stuff away makes repairs tougher instead of easier, but looks kinda cool, too, leaving just the bare essence of the engine exposed.

22. Boyd was known for "cleaning up" an engine compartment. His cars always looked like they weren't finished yet,no visable wires,fuel lines,linkage,etc. If that's the style you like....he was the master!
    I happen to prefer the look of an original,very clean,engine compartment. Wish I had one,hahaha!

23. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Probably a guy who got sick of his greasy driveway :D

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

master cyl. ???? dont have one so no need to hide it ! i like neat but functional . the more you hide the wires the harder it is to fix a problem ........... steve

25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A/C compressor, P/S pump, alternator, waterpump, hoses, wiring, etc are all hidden under the sheet metal to give engine room a streamlined clean appearance. Radiator and A/C condensor and related items will be hidden also under a sheet metal beaded panel. Horizontal vents open and close to let cool air in. Firewall will stay bare like it is to highlight the bead rolling. It's just something that has never been done on a 51 Merc before and we thought it would look neat and up the "cool" factor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  26. The HAMB is a place for rodders, racers, and kustomizers. Each individual among us is likely to be influenced by all three automobilia tastes, but to a different degree on the balance of priorities that each taste would have in its purest form. And as a result each of us builds our cars/rod/racers according to our own individual tastes. ...and that is as it should be. There is no single right way! No one wants all the cars here to be clones of each other.

Kustoms are smooth and clean, with hidden stuff;
    hot rods are more organic and functional, with an eye to appearance; and
    a racer is about whatever it takes to go fast, using the best current technology, restricted only by rules of the sanctioning body. One car can not be the best at all three at the same time.

I will never build a purist's traditional hot rod or kustom today. ...but anything I build will have a lot of traditional influences, along with some elements of a more modern and safer car. Hopefully, others can appreciate the look and style of my cars, accepting the compromises I make. Good brakes, good tires, good alternator & wiring, and shoulder belts are likely to be in every one of my cars. Regardless, I build a car for me, without trying to build for a consensus of the various other tastes that are expressed here. ...but I like to hear the divergent voices to consider as I make my own decisions.

My personal mindset would not allow me to perfectly restore a car, even of it were a historically significant rod or kustom. ...it would get tweaked to my tastes and priorities. I just enjoy the diversity and all the craftsmanship that is shown here. ...no need to take someone else's differing tastes personally.

27. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Impressive, but I can't relate.. isn't it all hidden under the hood already?

28. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

I dont' hide anything... Just try to make it neat and clean looking....I know it is a sickness and I have it.

29. well it could be worse.. could look like umm this turd.. [​IMG]

30. not my style exactly, but I appreciate the clean look and beautiful sheet metal bead work. I am guessing you will use the Chrysler wire covers to hide the hemi's spark plug wiring. My mild custom shoebox has a hemi, too, but I keep the hood shut at the outdoor shows I attend, except when someone asks to see under the hood.