Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why do people call...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike VV, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Touche.......

2. Mag wheels sounds better than alloy wheels.

Why do they call them blowers? They first suck as much as they blow or they wouldn't -

Go a head, that's a perfect set up

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That describes a 'Mistress" :D

Ray

4. Dizzy or dist, carb, trans, rear, alt, plugs, rad, lid, shoes, pads etc. speed typing with one finger....

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Somebody fire up Mr. Peabody's way back machine so we can get a definitive answer.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

It all goes back to the days when the car guys stole things from the bicycle ad guys. Bob

upload_2017-2-21_18-47-26.png

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. If there's a better nic-name than dizzy for a distributor I want to know it. It makes perfect sense. Now when someone says "stab" in reference to installing a distributor ,,, makes me want to set my hair on fire

How does carby fit

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Why do people call high stall torque converters, "stalls" ?
    My favorite..Thanks for the opening.

loudbang likes this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

a better question would be "why does anyone care"...

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 61 years of my life before I came on the Hamb I never saw a distributor called a freaking dizzy or a carburetor called a silly assed Carby. I have stabbed a lot of distributors though. I also dropped in a few.

Over on an OT board for my OT daily my wheels are referred to as "offset Alloys" due to the reverse construction and reverse offset and they are factory wheels.

Still a lot of times the nicknames for parts come from certain localities or certain car groups and sound silly as hell to anyone not from that area or not connected to a particular model or brand.

11. Clarity

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Ford MOTOR Co., General Motors, American Motors Corp. , Buick MOTOR Division, Cadillac Motor Car Division, Pontiac Motor Division, Harley Davidson Motor Co., Bayerische Motoren Werke, Olds Motor Vehicle Co., Motorcycles, Honda Motor Co., Toyota Motor Corporation, Nissan Motor Co., Sports Cars, Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft, KIA Motors, Bristih Motor Corporation, Hyundai Motor Co., Suzuki Motor Corp., Yamaha Motor Co., Evinrude Outboard Motors, Rapid Motor Vehicle Co became General Motors Trucks, Duesenberg Motors Co. , Chevrolet Motor Car Company, Ducati Motor Holdings, Triumph Motorcycles Ltd, Etc. Etc.

So Why do we say Engines anymore ????????? ;) LOL

Truck64, wsdad, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  13. We don't really. Its just that the recent warm spell has us easterners all discombobulated. (take that Don)

lothiandon1940 and Montana1 like this.
  14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Aren't they called alloy wheels these days. Magnesium is tricky stuff. It's brittle, corrodes easily, burns and is very difficult to extinguish.

loudbang likes this.
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion

I remember when 'tranny' meant a transmission.....:confused::eek:

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I know a con who drives a Lexus.

17. I've installed distributors and I've stabbed a few things.

Never have the precision and care used for installing a distributor been used to stab anything. Also the effort and force and quickness needed for effective stabbing has never been relevant or needed when intsalling a distributor. Makes no sense.

HOWEVER I've seen a few engines after some gorilla apparently stabbed a distributor in the hole with intent to inflict maximum damage.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. Your screen name from now on is "motor man"

Ah- ha..... that is why I went with trans.:)

19. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Okay I,ll play,I need more stupid news today. Motors are electric and Engines are mechanical

loudbang, 270dodge and Montana1 like this.
  20. Why does it need a nickname? o_O

I think that whole Dizzy think came from the Australian's - first place I heard it, and I think they are Dizzy from being upside down.:rolleyes:

21. Never heard that in my 60 years - wish I still hadn't .....

22. Why is this called an "ADJUSTABLE SPANNER"?
    Why don't they just call it a "Crescent Wrench"? :rolleyes:
    61-164-202.jpg

steinauge, Bandit Billy and bchctybob like this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Could it be that in the early days of drag racing, backyard hot rodders wished to have the real Halibrand Magnesium wheels on their race cars? In 1958, we had steel rims and the next best was a chrome wheel. But, by 1960, we were itching to get a complete set of Halibrand Magnesium wheels for our 40 Willys race car. It was purely money that held us back. But by the end of summer, we had enough to order a set to go along with our new tires plus new M&H slicks. Every time we mentioned what we ordered to other people, it was a long verbal sentence, so we said we ordered some "mags."

Jnaki

BCHCTYBOB found a good set of advertisements or "ads" for making the industry more money by buying "mags." Whether aluminum or steel or a combo of each, but not made of real magnesium.

Here is a nice story about Halibrand.
    The Heritage of Halibrand
    Crafted in magnesium, they were racing's very best
    https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2006/08/The-Heritage-of-Halibrand/1323310.html

bchctybob likes this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I knew there were "mag" wheels and magnesium wheels in 1968. I was like, EIGHT FUCKING years old when I managed to wrap my head around this. I guess I shouldnt be surprised that this place is full of guys that are still struggling with this concept...:rolleyes:

lewk, Ned Ludd, rudestude and 5 others like this.
  25. No telling what "dropped a tranny " means today.
    I had a motor mouth friend who used to call them "tranmissions", about 12 times an hour..Drove me nuts, as you can imagine.

Montana1 and slowmotion like this.
  26. What the hell, I'll join in. Why do people call some engines a "crate engine"? I mean once the engine is out of the crate, it's no longer a crate engine. If you order an intake manifold and it comes in a cardboard box, you don't call it a "cardboard box intake" do you?

It must be a full moon tonight?

27. We always called them ANSENS back in the day.

fw_Ansen_A69_250.png

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's it, I'm gonna start! I like this!

bchctybob and Montana1 like this.
  29. Here we Go! This is gonna be good! :D

30. We called those Slot Mags or Dish Mags in my neck of the woods.

falcongeorge and Montana1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.