Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why do I take Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunbeam, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Does not apply. I do enjoy Hot Rod Deluxe though...especially when my brother submits a feature or article but he told me after the Barney Navarro feature, he's done with writing.

2. blackrat40

blackrat40

Let's face it fellows...the Hot Rod sport, like HRM is no longer what it was in the best days.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got Hot Rod magazines back into 1956, thought I would just keep subscribing but.....a month or so ago I got an email offering a chance to do a survey, their web site required a pass word? I sent a couple of notes trying to figure out what I could do because I wanted to participate in the survey. Never got any answer. When this subscription runs out that will be it. I guess (as a previous post stated) that I am NOT their target market, most of their articles have no relationship to my interests (or technological abilities:(

4. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too miss the magazines from the late 50s and early 60s, but then I remember the 70s as gassers seemed to drop in coverage and were replaced with dune buggies and VANS. I can't get behind the idea that 450 to 600 hp factory hot rods are more boring or objectionable than that. I found the August issue to have some good tech articles.

5. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I have one whole wall of my shop office devoted to mags I have kept since 1957. I use some for reference in building my projects. I can just grab some for good reading. The new ones just show stuff I would never consider building or even owning. They left me several years back, but I still have my archives. Now I just need to get them organized.

6. e015475

e015475
    from Phoenix
    1. A-D Truckers

I let my $14 two year subscription lapse earlier this year. I used to enjoy reading it cover to cover twenty years ago, but now it won't hold my attention for more than about 10 minutes.

One good thing though, is they keep sending me emails that have a link to all their 'how to' articles, and that seems to be a compilation across all the magazines they publish. Some are no more than 'infomercials' but some are actually useful.

The other thing that pissed me off with HR magazine is the size of the print. My vision is 20/20 with glasses, but damn that magazine's articles were tough to read

HemiDeuce likes this.
  7. irishsteve

irishsteve

At some point Hot Rod quit being Rod and Custom,and became Car,and Driver. Theres nothing in it.

8. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen

This is really a valid point -- and across the board. It's not limited to HR Magazine.

9. banjorear

banjorear
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is interesting. I'm starting to really scale down my magazine subscriptions. Right now, I only subscribe to Hop Up and TRJ.

I'm actually thinking of stopping those when my subscription expires.

10. I got the 3 year/$20 deal and my wife insisted I take it at that price. Five minutes after it arrives I'm using it as a door stop, and not a very good one at that. I really find more interesting discussions on the HAMB whether they are technical or aesthetics. I guess I'm also not in the "target audience" either.