Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Why are customs dying?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 8, 2021.

1. We own a '69 Caprice which is part of the reason that I used the example. It will no doubt get built like we were building them in my part of the country when I get that far, not many wheel covers used in the PNW back then. Not that you are off base, customs like all cars are a kind of a regional endeavor. ;)

More often than not Mr @Moriarity we agree. Partially out of respect and mostly because you are right. I have to disagree on this point, in a true custom at least from the era that we lean toward drive train is just as important as it is in a hot rod. Perhaps more important on a show quality Custom. It may not be a high zoot NHRA world record holder drivetrain, but it is show points or bragging rights. On any respectable custom you should be able to open the hood and dazzle anyone at the hot dog stand or high school parking lot.

Hell real full on customs had chrome plated bumper jacks and pin stripped gas cans. Neither ever got used for anything but looks.

yes today finding the proper drive train or at least drive train parts for anything we build that is going to be considered "trad" and I am the world's worse to drop the ball on that aspect of a personal build. never the less we should not neglect the importance especially on a car that looks is the most important aspect.

OK back to agreeing with you. Much respect my friend.

rod1, 54delray, williebill and 2 others like this.
  2. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's a page out of Car Craft 1983 with a pic of my merc and a little article. I guess in 1983 they weren't dead. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. I had a '59 that I dearly loved. I originally planned on dropping a hot 283 in it but once I sorted the original mill it was just too much fun to drive. So I dropped it and made it look like a 3/4 size custom Ford. I was parked next to a '46 that was the same car only bigger, same color, wheels etc and invited to leave an event. They did give me my 15 dollars back. LOL

Slick little car by the way. I like it.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The chopped top makes it a full custom car.

Subtlety has a place in the custom world too. Maybe that distinction is the difference between custom and kustom? hmm.

I like wild custom cars, but I'm a sucker for mild customs too. Even people that "know" these cars can't seem to point out all the changes that were made to this one. And I'm happy about that. :D

20200610_193550.jpg

rod1, alchemy, HOTRODPRIMER and 16 others like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

That car rules.

54delray, j hansen and OG lil E like this.
  6. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

7. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Thanks Jim @stanlow69 for the concern. I’m changing my Avatar until my I get my next car complete. An Artist carved this Eagle, with a number of chain saws. I call him Devil’s Den Dan... after the Civil War battle at Gettysburg 1863. I talked to Kim and Nancy once at home. I’m now preparing to get my car out of Ohio and back home before things (parts&pieces) get legs. If I’m able I’ll be able to get back at Indy in 2022. I really got my bell rung this time. There was nothing slow motion about this accident, it all happened in a blink of an eye. Just so fortunate to have my Son with me, and what transpired at the scene was miraculous. 1 minute was the response time from Ohio Highway Patrol and the EMT. Incredible. I think First responders are Angels in Uniforms. My focus isn’t best yet, as I lose my thought easily. Funny thing is, I remember a little conversation I had with HRP about the public trying to get picture, or getting a better look at the cars as we are rolling down the highway. Just an additional hazardous situation while some tries to give You the thumbs up. Sorry....I’m wondering. The subject of this thread is “Are Kustoms dying”....I say Not Yet! Hopefully not in this lifetime. I still want to Roll on the Streets of Gold in My Hevenly Father’s Kingdom. later Lou.

54delray, OG lil E, Sum54ford and 4 others like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Any young guys building a new custom?

Sancho, 54delray and Jim Bouchard like this.
  9. I guess.
    I see a lot on other places.
    Lots of younger guys building low riders.
    The pearl f100 I posted on your truck build thread was built by a teen

10. What do you call young guys Chris? Like us? :D

11. Im just collecting parts and ideas for something.

Will say this past weekend at the Portland Roadster Show I was surprised to have a high schooler come up to me when I was at Taboo during setup and was just ecstatic to see the car in person. Showed me that he had all the magazines and a good chuck of photos of the car on his phone. Was really hoping to build himself a custom someday and it had to be a 56 like Taboo. So there is a little hope.

12. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I rarely see traditional cars at the Florida shows. I saw one at the last show. It's sad.

Roothawg likes this.
  13. topher5150

topher5150

Does young-ish count?

14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Customs are being built all the time, they just are not the years and model's that many on here believe are the only cars that can be customized or hot rodded for that matter. I am building two full customs right now. literally every panel have been modified. only difference from my 51 Merc is that one is an of topic 67 Chevelle and the other is a 66 Mustang. Another one coming up is a mid 90's Ford Dually. Traditional in our pre 1964 cut off absolutely not, but full customs none the less. I am 68 and have been chopping, decking, shaving ,frenching and custom painting everything I can get my hands on ever since I built my first model car when I was 7. It was Starbird's Predicta. The hobby is just like life, it is always changing and moving on. Also, I have seen some awesome work done in metal on many late model Imports as well. Larry

15. jimpopper

jimpopper

Well you have to have a fair amount of disposable income, talent, space and tools, time and health. Rare to have all of them come together at once.

54delray and Roothawg like this.
  16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Look at the thread on Kustom Blues, NO.

Sancho and Roothawg like this.
  17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At a big show you can always see a dozen or more Deuce hiboys. You might see 1 or 2 sleds. At a nationals size meet those figures could double or more. So only 4 sleds. I'll go out on a really big limb and say what we call customs never was for everyone. By the very definition it's all personal choice, so other than the obvious (Hirohata) they almost never return your investment, both personal and financials. You better want it. And you always see "get it" on this subject (this thread no exception). Not everyone does, and never did really. And of course we all change. No time in my life to build my best choice, a well chopped leaned B pillar rounded door corner tunneled headlight extra tooth grille 54 Chevy 2dr sedan. Hooded 53 rear lamps, tucked and tight bumpers, no cliche spotlights and nausea creating fuzzy dice. No flipper caps, OEM style chrome wheels and midsize whitewalls, frosty green metallic with a pearl white pleated interior and green carpets. Mild 327 with trips and Smithy's mufflers, no lakes. I think I "get it", not sure...o_O

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

We are not "young guys" anymore my friend...

Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was 23 when I had this 55 at the 1984 KKOA show in Des Moines 551.JPG

Sancho, rod1, TheSteamDoc and 9 others like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think the 55-59 Fords are cheap enough, a kid could get into fairly reasonable these days. I had hoped my nephew Colby would be into them, but he's wired different than me. He likes the "restored" cars......yuck.

21. In my opinion, most of the "Hot Rods " on here are customs.

Ben

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  22. topher5150

topher5150

To add to that, with my own personal experience, having some people to teach you, point you in the right direction, or lend you a hand is a tremendous help.

23. I used to daily drive a 61 impala that sat on the bumpstops, with stock drums, and ran a stock 235 six and 2 spd powerglide. I drove it EVERYWHERE with no issues. Screenshot_20230323-135139.png
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  24. Sum54ford

Sum54ford
    from St. Louis

A9747F26-BE32-4074-AB12-F0A9AC0CBDCA.jpeg 88875E27-602F-4A26-9D7D-A9DAC34D6B5F.jpeg
    Im in my 30s and these are my two cars. Ive loved custom cars my whole life. Kustoms are still alive!

25. Sum54ford

Sum54ford
    from St. Louis

DB759326-3E02-4337-8C70-8BBF27CBB2FB.jpeg 92F4171D-0CD5-4183-8327-4796129F89AE.jpeg
    This is my Dads 48’ Ford, we are finishing right now. I just put in a 49’ Mercury flathead, 39 Ford transmission. Its nosed, decked, shaved, shortened stainless, lowered on 16” wheels. We are at least keeping customs alive in my garage. Don’t mind the taillight hanging out, I’m in the process installing a new wiring harness. Thats also why its missing headlights!

Tim, southpaw-customs, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sancho, 54delray and Sum54ford like this.
  27. topher5150

topher5150

how much did you lowr it?

54delray likes this.
  28. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

And being in Florida, a lot of the retired baby boomers wanna step back in time with muscle cars. I like them enough. It's just once you seen one, you've seen them all. Much rather see a one off custom no one else will have.

54delray and Roothawg like this.
  29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I do bodywork, I have all my life, I would love to do a full custom. I just can't make up my mind on the platform I want to start with. So many cars that have the bones for a custom. customizing a car isn't just finding the proper car to start with, you must have a vision before you even pick a base automobile. You can build from scratch, but I'm 67 years old. Merc's are overdone, I've been looking at a 55 olds but still not sure. So many cars I love that would be great customs but parts from older cars are scarce now. I'll keep looking I guess, maybe I'll make up my mind soon I hope. Lippy

54delray, Roothawg and guthriesmith like this.
  30. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

lippy has pretty much hit the nail on the head. If this conversation on this thread only pertains to the boards beloved pre 64 eras. 60 plus year-old projects in any kind of condition are way out of line price wise now. Add to that the cost of structural and mechanical restoration before you ever get to the customizing part. Now start collecting all the other various parts like grills, bumpers, head and taillights and side trim. Hopefully you have the tools, space and skills to do 90% of your own work. I have been customizing every type of car, truck and motorcycles for 50 plus years and lucky for me I collected everything for my projects before everything became gold plated. Lots of young people think my Mercs are cool but they have no interest in building one. And customers that are building cars now are in the 35 to 60 range just like it has always been since I opened my shop over 35 years ago. and vintage muscle cars have been giving way to modified later model muscle and imports. Times are a changing. Larry

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    arse_sidewards and Roothawg like this.