Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who's runnin a Buick or a Cadillac Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Aug 26, 2017.

1. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I had an Eldorado 500 and a turbo 400 in my 70 chevy step side short box. It was great fun! Gary

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  2. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

GMC pickup on a 74 Sedan DeVille chassis, note chain steering. 472 wore out at around 160k miles so has a 500 now with an additional 140k miles. Used a flat head Ford 6 truck radiator with reinforcing tubes in top tank to prevent flexing and a 20# cap. No heating issues even idling with a/c on. Truck has everything the car had and parts are from the car: p/s, p/b, a/c, cruise, p/w, 6way power seat, electric wipers, etc. Have to feather foot it on take off with tires that fit fender and very dicey on wet road. Should have used a section of rail road track for rear cross member. Huge torque and a bear from 50-80mph, really plants you to the seat.
    51 GMC 011.jpg 51 GMC 008.jpg

Donuts & Peelouts and Fern 54 like this.
  3. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

LOL...no, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night....

Another helpful tip for the big Caddy engine swap. The big Caddys are a front sump oil pan. There is a rear sump pan available. The easiest donors to find for a rear sump pan is the 80-82 Eldorado and Sevilles with the 368ci engines. When you get the pan, make sure you get the pick up tube to match AND the dipstick and dipstick tube. The 472/500 block have to locations for the dipstick, when you change to the rear sump pan you will have to change the dipstick tube to the hole. (the spare hole is filled with a pressed in steel ball). If you are gently you can remove your dipstick tube and move it. If you destroy it there are replacements available (I think)

To all posting the pics of the Buicks.....Thanks!!! Those are some awesome engines. Nothing says hot rod like an open sided car with a nailhead! Great stuff

Bobby

4. Get the '68. It's the high horse/high compression engine. Just run some Lucas top cylinder lube or lead substitute.

5. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I got a early Cadillac 365 and a Buick misfire V6 engine both looking for the right pre 48 projects to use them in.

7. Hey I just bought a 390 Caddy for my 32 Pickup, look forward to seeing yours come together!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you really want to make compression put some early 472 heads on a 75 500 . It makes around 12 to 1 with the factory pistons. The guy who bought my 500 did exactly that and had to run race gas and it became a tow it to the track drag car only.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Always late to the party: DPP_0056.JPG Stock 1970 500 inch Caddy in my '55 Cadillac...with a T-400 behind it. Never have a problem with it...14-16 mpg on the highway, 190 degrees all the time, even cruising in parades, aluminum radiator. No idea what it'll do in the quarter...

R-

Jet96 and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

11. Firewall is all stock, not cut except for the battery box now located on the passenger side. DSCN0592.JPG

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Really? I'll be danged. I thought for sure that you would have to whack it up.

13. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Love the look of an early buick. Ivo really put this engine on the map with his famous T bucket

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

How does the starter clear?

15. Starter is on the driver side.....clears easily below the steering column......engine mounts were made to sit the engine low.