Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who won the GNRS??????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

this year im told they brought in real hotrodders to judge so as to get back to the roots of the ambr award. i know who the new judges are as one of them told me about it (sworn to secrecy) and the new criteria. i guess that they didnt want the tasteless overdone gaudy stuff that has been chosen the last couple years. if you go back to past years and check threads on the hamb,people complained about the award winner and now that its gone back to basics , still complaints. i cant tell enough from the pictures here ,but ill bet its a nice car and a good choice. wouldnt matter what it was,some people are never happy.congrats and hats off to the jergers!!

2. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Same trophy every year. Your name and year are displayed on it.

3. Nice car. Street-roddy but a nice car. Love the wheels.

Install rubber running broads, the right lights, some chrome windshield posts and a traditional interior...... No that wouldn't work, it would look like a resto rod.

Hell, at least it looks like an early Ford! How many of the last 10 have even resembeld one?!?!?!

Not my first choice but far better than some "Swoopster" for sure.

JH

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. AG F/C

AG F/C

Is that what I would build? No but having stood and stared at it for a while in person, it is a beautiful car. Something about it that caught the eye.

I think it was a good choice and way more traditional then some of the prior years.

5. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Agreed. The last few years winners were not my style at all. I did not go this year, but if the judges were what you said they are, the decision had to be based on good criteria.

6. Abomb

Abomb

I doubt that's a problem, mostly because I doubt that any one the AMBR contenders are driven to the show....:D

On a side note, I wonder every year why HAMBer's get so worked up about AMBR, they've disappointed for several years, considering what WE like...it is an award for the STREETRODDERS to aspire to now. For those that hate this year's winner, I would have to say that it is a step in OUR direction....I also have to say, that if it weren't for the multiple threads on the HAMB, I wouldn't know what car won until it was in the magazines...because I have learned not to hold my breath waiting for a decision that no longer has anything to do with traditional hot rodding.

7. pikesan99

pikesan99

No more points for the America's Most Beautiful Roadster. That's why a truly beautiful car with not a single piece of polished chrome on it can win.

I interviewed Vic Cunnyngham at the GNRS. He was the 2011 Judges Coordinator for the AMBR award. He told me about the new judging system and why it was changed. I'll post that story later today at MyRideisMe.com.

Ironically, it was Doug Jerger of Squeeg's Kustoms who told me the judging changed so I could get the details. Gotta thank Doug for the heads up and now congratulations are in order!!

8. Right on Brootal

We've suffered some ugly 'winning' shapes the last 20 years. This one's pleasing- not try- hard, 'look at me', or 'Ain't I smart'!

9. KUDOS to the guys for at least realizing there WAS a problem with the judging. Did the AMBR winner deserve to win? That's not my call. BUT, it's the 1st winner I liked in many years. THAT alone is at least the right direction

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I agree 100%. Its not America's most beautiful traditional roadster, and we tend to lose sight of that. I am not head over hells in love with this car either, but its a HUGE step in the right direction, considering some of the gawdawful shite that has won in the recent past. If you are figuring the pick should be a '29 on deuce rails with a 3 deuce flatty and 16" ford steelies, I hope you arent holding your breath.

And I DO agree that is a visually boring car.

11. Congrats to Doug and crew!!! Bitchn Job!!! But then, whats not to like about 34 Fords, have had mine since 58 as a senior in HS. Way to Go!! Beautiful Roadster!!!

12. Very nice car with a tastefull not a overdone vegas whore lookin POS of years (recent) past, This is indeed a step in the right direction and that purple T really had me attention,You gotta believe the voice of the HAMB is reachin the judges if this is what they picked after years of bullshit "L.A. bling-rods"

13. John Denich

John Denich

The HAMB has an award we all vote on so we do have a say! You guys are unreal this award is about the most up to date cutting edge car not a Traditional Car...Every fucking year you guys complain about the AMBR and the Ridler! its not an award that is designed for the kinda cars we like! SIMPLE its like going to Match.com and complaining they dont let GAY guys in there, Try going to Burger King and ordering a Big Mac same thing they have their award we have ours......Why must every fucking thread on the HAMB turn in to a I HATE THIS OR THAT! you guys need to get rid of some stress before posting, go jerk off then post maybe there will be more positive posts on here. CONGRATS to the winner very well deserved!

14. Baggs

Baggs

very well said, my thoughts (im sure many others also) exactly! thank you for saying it!!

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

car looks cool to me. probably the first time in years I haven't looked at the AMBR and wondered WTF were they thinking???

if a person lined up 50 highly detailed roadsters and 10 of them were AMBR's from the last 20 years I garantee you I could not pick out 5 AMBRs of the 10 other than by just plain luck.

I look on the HAMB to see who won, then forget about it.

16. rick finch

rick finch

Bravo.....:D

17. HRod 50

HRod 50

Now that's what I'm talking about.. Very well put.. I love it....

18. Life's much clearer when you decide if you're the cushion or the pin. LOL. BTW, well put John. Like I said earlier...this years winner is the first one in years I'd like to own for myself. It's clean, it's tasteful, not over the top. Some of the past winners were just an excersize(sp) in excess

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats some funny shit right there...

20. John ...right fuckin on! this is always about the TOP of the TOP,not traditional,hell thats what makes it so cool....maybe if some guys opened up to lookin at these ideas used they might not bitch every fuckin year....at one point even the traditional cars like the ALA KART and Gilbertsons T were considered NEW.........enjoy them for what they can teach you.....

21. Killer

Killer

John is my new hero.

22. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

You all do know that the winner next year and the year after that will look the same as this years winner,nothing changes.Expect these comments again next year...see you all then

23. If you build your car to win trophies then cry all you want. If you build your car to enjoy and drive, what difference does a couple planks of wood and a tin cup make?

Our opinions change nothing.

24. moefuzz

moefuzz

Hopefully the fooseage is gone for good

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Sounds like you knew what you would find, before you opened up this Thread as well.

Glad you were not dissapointed...

For the record, I like this car a lot better than the last couple of winners.

26. THERE IT IS! When I go to a show with one of my cars, it's to have fun, look at other cars, and talk to other car guys. When a judge asks me to leave my hood open, or it can't be judged, I tell him no. I think the lines flow better with the hood down, I'm not here for a trophy, and my car IS my trophy. But, thanks anyways

27. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

John, How would JERKING OFF help the situation, you speaking from experience. Larry

28. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

Congrats to the hometown heroes Doug and Squigg's Customs. I'm a little biased though,live about 2 miles from the shop.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wait a minute...Is it just me, or does that car not have any headlights...

30. Mr.Gasser

Mr.Gasser

I think you're right, I don't see any either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.