Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Who When was the first SBChev powered HotRod?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Aussie Chev, Jun 18, 2016.

1. You're a good man my friend. Of course my endorsement will cause several thousand to hate you but, well it is what it is.;)

I go commando by the way. Someone told me to wear pink underwear to avoid the draft. My big sister wouldn't let me use her's so that was my only other option. :eek: :D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well Iner Mortenson didn't wear any underware and they threw him out, he was in my high school graduation class but I didn't tell anyone; couldn't follow the yellow line either...Half the group were guys from 5 or 6 surrounding towns that I knew from hanging around the Donut Shop..

3. LOL most never catch it but Milner was a chicken hawk. o_O:eek:

Two lane black top was a movie about the '70s. There is more to it than just rippin around in a hot rod, it is all about seeing the USA like most of us did, anyway that we could. Then Came Bronson, Easy riders, Two Lane Black Top and any number of other movies about the era are pretty much the same. "We are rebels and we live life on our own terms." They saw the USA in a Chevrolet, or a bus or on Harleys or . . . The movie was not about cars at all, any more then Easy Riders was about motor cycles.

I guess you would have to have been there.

Of course none of this has much to do with the conversation does it.

Yea they taught you to wear undies in basic. I guess they thought that they were pretty important. LOL

young'n'poor likes this.
  4. You "blokes" are gonna let the Brits define our home grown terms?!?!
    It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide :rolleyes:

falcongeorge likes this.
  5. Hey not to ad fuel to the fire but now I am curious and don't own a stack of old magazines. Who knows then the first tri five chevy was featured in HotRod. I know that fellas *like Watson was building them early on but I wonder when the first hotted up tri five was featured?

*like being the operative word here.

volvobrynk and young'n'poor like this.
  6. Can we add "who gives a shit" to the poll?

7. There was a poll? Damn I missed it.

8. Come on beaner you dont miss nothing!

9. I miss my teeth, and I got a pair of oil pump keys missing as we speak. :D :D :D

volvobrynk and C. John Stutzer like this.
  10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, still flappin yaps about what is and isn't? Now it has to be 36 or older? I guess that gennie shine runner in the latest TRJ isn't a hot rod either. Even with back up in the form of letters from Edelbrock it still doesn't pass muster. I'm learning a lot from this topic, yet with that I won't post what it is I'm learning. I'll be polite today. ;)

Baumi and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Wally Parks started Hot Rod magazine in 1948 and he ran the NHRA (National HOT ROD Association) till his death. What years of cars have raced under this classification?

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I drove a '32 Five window to high school. No fenders, 304" flathead, Potvin cam, 4 jugger, straight linkage. (Yeow!)
    This kid Rich (Rich Kid!) drove his new '55 Chevy Bel Air to school, called it "The Hot One", for the billboards advertising. He then told me HE had "the REAL 'hot rod'."
    I sawed him off after school right in front of the Auto Shop...Hot Rod...LOL
    Guy wouldn't know a 'Hot Rod' if he pulled one up and had a seat. Or...maybe he would.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Welllll.... I'm sure you must have attended some NHRA events. A popular acronym, to be sure:
    But ask any real 'hot rod' owner...Most 'street roadsters', Coupes, etc. typically coined as 'hot rods' were turned away from NHRA events since 1964.
    The new slogan was, "NO HOT RODS ALLOWED." Ask someone that was there...
    ...And Wally Parks didn't start HRM. Robt. Petersen did. Wally's featured in Petersen's museum. Not vice-versa. AND, Wally drove a '29 roadster on '32 rails. Just saw it yesterday. It was a HOT ROD.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Suthunman

Suthunman

I've already been scolded for not knowing what a hot rod is............but I do know a pissin contest when I see one.......y'all better watch out or ya gonna get a little on ya! :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

My mistake, I guess Wally should have changed the name in 1964 to National No Hot Rod Association.My reference to Wally starting Hot Rod magazine was aimed at him being the first editor. He was the guy that called them hot rods.Peterson just collected the money for owning the magazine.

16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Who is this guy?, and if he's really Young n Poor how did he get so much common sense??? and learn to write it down? Slammed needs to help him with his avatar though, LOL.

I think, in the context of the OP's question, it should be clear that he's looking for the earliest installation of a 265 into a car earlier than 1955 Chevy. So, for purposes of this thread I would define "hot rod" as pre-1955.
    Since it's too damned hot to do any real work today, I will go out and look through my 1954-55 HRMs for some clues. If anyone has R&C or other magazines from that period, look and see what you can find.

17. Ah, got it - slow me.

NHRA
    N o
    H ot
    R ods
    A llowed

http://www.texastiming.com/blogs/No Hot Rods Allowed.doc

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I concur.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sorry for the rant, guys... Just about 60 years of "All Chevys are Hot Rods!" has gotten to me for awhile.
    If I would just have sold all the Deuce rails, Dago axles, flatheads, Hemis, and Cad, Buick, Oldsies I had to bolt in 'em...I could have had one o' them Chevy hot rods too.
    I did sorta 'sell out' in '63 for awhile...took over payments on a 409 Biscayne w/Muncie 4 speed, got into the 12s...the Mopars were in the 11s... LOL
    Ran back to the 'Hot Rods'...
    It's not meant to be 'combative', just 'personal'.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I though I was the first, putting a '65 283 in my '34 Roadster this spring. You mean to tell me other guys have already done this? Damn... IMG_8718.JPG

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

For actual dates, here are 3 that happened in San Jose, CA.:

1. Larry Cardoza (of GMC '6' fame) bought a brand new crate engine from Courtesy Chev. the first day they were available. Larry had been building a '22 T on Model A frame, full fendered, 59AB, '39 trans., '40 rear.
    Larry promptly removed the flathead, planted the Chev., and kept on perfecting the T. Never started 265 was replaced with new '58 283, never run, then in '62 replaced with new 327. Car was then finished, first driven with 327. Sold in '78, beautiful red tub...

2. Cliff Donahue's son in law, Ron Heimermann installed a '55 Chev 265 in his '50 Ford convert in '55, around March, IIRC. Ron had started San Jose State College, and had to take a week off. He was worried about credits... (Kent Onlan had his '40 done first, as I recall)

3. Kent Onlan had his Dad buy a new crate engine (2bbl) 265 from Courtesy Chev, to install in his '40 Coupe in January...right after Christmas. Parts mgr. said there was a month wait, then called Dr. Onlan the next day.
    I know the '40 had the original transmission, didn't know where the adaptor came from...but when Kent sold the '40 to a bud in '58, I put a rear main seal in it. The adaptor was Crager.

So, there were a few early installs done around my neck of the woods.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. interesting, i never thought of the "in Detroit" crowd would have access first. i would have thought it would have been done on the east coast first, then the west coast while we are shoveling snow, would make it shinier or lower and claim it as theirs .:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

In the big picture none of this matters. We all have our own idea what a hot rod is and this is all in fun. We are all along for the ride!

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

It was in the Midwest bubba!

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. Aussie Chev

Aussie Chev

So do I repost asking who was the first to install a chev into a Traditional styled Hotrod ?
    Or would that cause a argument ?

Or do I just say pre 48 ?

I wasn't trying to start a argument more look at who and when

26. Trad or not, I think there have been enough stabs at it already.

I don't think there were government agents monitoring every engine swap ever done or contemplated, marking the exact time, date and circumstance!

Answers are going to be conjecture at best and I think you have already been given several of those.

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  27. So far, yours is the oldest "verified" install...

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Aussie Chev

Aussie Chev

Obviously no governing body mr smarty pants but there would be enough guys who would have been idolising or building rods in 54-55 on here so a few first hand suggestions are awesome. All the info is integrating the arguments and negative comments aren't

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  29. I was a young man in the 50's and hot rods were 20's and 30's American cars that were souped up. Period. The '55 Chevy was not a hot rod, it was a new car. So was everything after it.

The die-hards then pretty much agreed that 1947 was the cut-off but I think that came from the custom crowd.

This is how it was then and this is good enough for many of us today.

I had a hopped up '57 Chevy in high school (the 60's) in fact most of us had '55-'56-'57 Chevy's then but we never called them hot rods. We called them '55-'56 or '57 Chevy's.

Atwater Mike, Baumi and volvobrynk like this.
  30. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Actually, 1948 was the cutoff year. You would be hard pressed to tell a 48 Ford from a 47, a 48 Chevy from a 47 , etc. but a 49, no problem . The car is one thing, the engines that went in them is another story.

volvobrynk likes this.