Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who know where to get 40 Ford drums?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRH, Jan 12, 2006.

1. HRH

HRH

I have checked all over the internet and all I have been able to find was Sacramento Speed but these are at an outstanding $120.00 a piece! Seems like an aweful lot to spend on a pair of drums.

Couple of questions here!

1. Is anyone running these?
    2. How do they compare to the origionals? Metalurgy?
    3. Is there anywhere else that sells them at a more reasonable price?
    4. Are they made in freakin China like everything else shitty these days?

Ive decided that Im running the Kelseys rather than the Buick drums so Im off to get the right drums for the application!

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

The ones from Sacramento Vintage Ford are super high quality and worth every penny! They are NOTHING like the foriegn cheapos ans have a machined finish that makes them already VERY close to balanced. I have them on two cars and they are the only way to go.

3. HRH

HRH

Thanks Guys! The JobLot ones look pretty nice! Is anyone running these?

4. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Lots of early Ford Part links here: http://www.roadsters.com/ford/ You may get lucky and find a different supplier. $120 sounds a bit steep, but it may beat junkyard scouring/pulling and then turning... My brakes cost me a couple hundred bucks w/ initial purchase and then machine work. The brand new ones will (hopefully) be to original specs and last forever.

Jonny

5. HRH

HRH

These are the JobLot drums! Anyone know where these are made or how their cast compares to the origional? These are definately in the right price range! I mean fuck! Im not driving an old Bugatti!

#1 1940-1948 Ford Car and 1940-47 1/2 Ton pickup
    Brake Drum (less hub) Brand New, One Piece Cast Iron Construction 12" Diameter, 3-1/4" center hole, 5 lug, 5-1/2" bolt circle (For use with hubs mounted to the interior of the drum) Part # 21A-1125..............................$82.50 each *For clarification on Identifying the correct brake drum for your vehicle, please see our "Parts Identification" section

#2 1940-1948 Ford Car and 1940-47 1/2 Ton pickup
    Brake Drum (less hub) Brand New, One Piece Cast Iron Construction 12" Diameter, 4" center hole, 5 lug, 5-1/2" bolt circle (For use with hubs mounted to the exterior of the drum) Part # 51A-1125..............................$82.50 each *For clarification on Identifying the correct brake drum for your vehicle, please see our "Parts Identification" section

Attached Files:

• 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      59.7 KB
      Views:

6. Give Dick Spadaro a call, Dick Spadaro Early Ford Reproductions, he'll get ya' lined up with what ya' need at a good price, and he's a HAMBer.

Awhile ago I posted a web site that showed the correct way to replace the drums. Ford stud are swedged in and won't just pound out. Try this , or a version of it..http://idisk.mac.com/forever4/Public/index.htm#brakes

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

If those 82.00 drums are the cast foriegn junkers you will be wasting your money and wishing you spent the extra 37.00 per drum on the nice ones. I just had my front end professionally balanced by the guru of balancing that gets shipped in by the best teams at Bonneville and Indy and he was amazed how balanced the drums were- near perfect initially. Those crappy cast ones have pockets and thin spots that make them a hit and miss deal- but you might get lucky and get 2 useable ones that aren't horribly misbalanced. In the past those were always fine until you could locate at good pair of originals, now you don't have to because a quality drum is being made. Brakes and the safety of myself and my car are one thing I wouldn't be interested in putting the cheapest thing I could find on my car.