Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who here uses waterborne paints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BISHOP, May 31, 2010.

1. BISHOP

BISHOP

Im going to be painting at a shop that uses waterborne paint. I have never been around water based paint. What should I expect out of it, what should I look out for.
    Ive been a custom painter for 17 years, so I know how to paint. Im just filling in for a couple weeks at a shop that had their painter quit, I dont want to let them down.

2. I have seen great color matchs due to the fact many of the OEM's are using Water. Also many of the Piant Co's have put all of the latest technology into thier water products. I reccomend 3M PPS for your guns, cleaning water toners can be a real pain out of a standard cup. You need to factor in dry time on your base coats as their are no solvents to kick the paint into gear. Most guys use some form of a air blower unit or have had their booths tested for proper air flow in order to dry that base coats off. Everything else is standars solvent based primers and clears so you should be good there.

3. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

its not bad. ull figure it out in the day. color matches will be tricky at first since the water looks different in the cup then dried on the panel. what system are they using?

do u have a gun to spray it? the standard is a sata 3000 with a wsb nozzle setup.

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

Im not sure what brand, and I didnt know I had to buy a gun for it.

I use DeVilbiss GTI guns.

5. fly 59

fly 59

control coat as your last coat very important on the metallic colors!

6. Yeah you need to make sure there are no parts in them that will rust from the water.

7. I shot some on a project and it came out great. I have no idea what I'm doing but I just followed the instructions and shot regular clear over it. It goes on kinda spotty almost like you shot it with a trigger spray. Just do several light coats with the base color or it will run. I let it flash pretty good between coats.

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

When we were kids they used to make us use water colors to paint with because it was cheap and would clean up and go away with water.Oil based paints are all but impervious to water.Anything that uses water as a thinner cannot help but break down over time as water from car washing and rain etc. hammer away at it.The government tree huggers have handed us a punch in the face.If we keep using this crap,we will never stop them from taking away all the good stuff that actually works.

9. You will notice right of the bat the colrs dont seem to match ( some more than others) but once they dry they are ususally spot on.

10. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

u need a 1.2/1.3 for cool weather. and 1.4/1.5 even on hot climates.

11. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I use it every day here... I can help guide you if you need some info.. Its different , but easy to work with...

12. paintslinger1939

paintslinger1939
    from Concord CA

I just sprayed my '53 Chevy in PPGs Envirobase HP waterborne kandy. Came out great, couldnt be happier. Ive been spraying the stuff for re-finish work since October 1st 2009 when our VOC regulations changed in the bay area. The key is air movement across the panel to get it to flash. Heat helps a lot, and don't wet the booth floor down. That will increase humidity, thereby increasing flash time. You can use 3M's Dust control spray through a garden sprayer on the booth floor to keep dirt down. Or just wash the booth out real well before you get to painting. The best thing about the product is that it lays flat! You don't get that gravely appearance in the base like you can with solvent basecoats. If youre going to tape scallops or something on it, dont use 3m's blue fine line tape (it will track) use their new purple fine line, or the green crape tape they have.

[​IMG]

13. David Totten

David Totten

I think we are all a little adverse to change. I have been painting for over 50 years and have seen a lot of changes in paint as well as everything else. As a painter I think I and freinds who were painters all hated the changes. but in the long run they all were better products. So far the main problem I think you will have with the water base products is the color matches I always do a sprayout. Most manufactures recomend 2/3 coats to cover then a drop coat to level it out. Most of the painters that i know that use it it have learned to like it.

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

Im actually looking forward to useing it, nothing wrong with learning something new. Im sure waterborne will be the standard here soon enough, and I will have a jump on the local industry.

Thanks everyone for the advice and sugestions, much appreciated. I will let everyone know how tomorrow turns out, wish me luck.

15. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

good luck, ull do fine. once u get passed the learning curve ul love it!

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

Well, I painted waterborne paint........... and I like it. Its slow drying, but lays down like butter.
    I used the RM system (dymont)

Thanks for all the advice and helpfull comments, was alot of help.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  17. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

I'm just getting into myself and I found it sprays really easy. Spray it like Lacquer (Lacquer? whats Lacquer!!!) 2 or 3 light coats give it time to flash between coats. The Hand held Blower helps. Under reduce is better then over reducing. 10% for solids, 20% for metallics and 30% for pearls.

I found that took a little tme to get use to as I wouldn't mix enough paint to do the job. (Use to BC and reducing it 50 -100%)

Colour matching is good but you have to clearcoat your spray out cards.

I just matched a Red for a 1959 MGA and it worked out great. Butt match of the hood to the surround panel.

Hope this helps:

The Old Tinbasher

P.S. I used a GTI Plus with a 1.2 tip.

18. that color rocks!

19. paintslinger1939

paintslinger1939
    from Concord CA

Thanks 55 dude. It's a special mix I made up myself. Turned out nice.

20. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I've been spraying it for two years now and I love it, small repairs are so much quicker but if your doing a complete or something similar it might take awhile between coats but it is easy to use once you learn how to spray it and yes you have to do a control coat with all metallics and pearls. Color match is really good and it has many advantages over solvent such as colors are no longer affected by environmental changes so you can paint one panel and then days later paint the adjacent panel with the same paint and it will always match.