Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who here enjoys the build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Personal achievement at it's best..yes, I enjoy the build.

2. Monster Rat

Monster Rat
    from Casper WY

I'm not an extremely religious guy, but I do believe if we are created in His image, then a man must in turn create. Doesn't necessary have to be cars (although it should be), could be furniture, music, art, etc. a man must create.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Yep, you're right. This deuce pickemup is being built this time around by me and my friends. Everybody offered their help, shop, services, and advice. This will be the first time I've done this.

I've built musclecars, vettes, and such myself when I was younger...but I actually looked at those projects as more of bolt/unbolt parts together...this is a whole nuther animal for me....and sorry for the earlier rant...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. DMFB

DMFB

I love it, hate it, love it, hate it. haha. I guess it depends when you ask me, lol.

5. mj40's

mj40's

For me the build is the 4 play. The drive is the climax. :D

6. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

FOR YEAR'S I HAVE HAD ONE AS A DRIVER,AND WORKING ON ANOTHER. I alway's spend more time building than driving..........PINCHER

7. david38rc

david38rc

I like the build, love melting metal. But, I'm hesitant to do anything major unless it's a safty issue once I've got some windshield time.

8. Same here, not a car show kinda guy anymore. Rather be out in the garage doing something.

9. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I love the build, and I have plenty to build. I'm headed to the garage now.

10. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

Enjoy the build, then its on to the next build, but the problem is I get attached to them and can't sell so i'm over 30 cars now, just bought a 64 econoline, 65 econolione p/u, 53 and 53 stude champions , also looked at a 49 ford over in Ill. but it was a pile.

11. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I for one enjoy the build process. Heck, 5 months of winter 1 month to clean the roads. Once they are done and that first ride is over I'm ready to move on!
    I'd much rather work on my deuce than clean/maintain my finished car.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  12. Gumboot

Gumboot

It's the thrill and satisfaction of the endless little and large jobs throughout each build that makes driving them so satisfying. So satisfying that it led me to open up my own shop (MYOWN Customs) recently so that I can make my passion into my career. That way I hardly ever have to work.;)

But I do realize that there is no way that I'll be able to drive all of the cars and trucks I plan to build, so now that I have a bunch of projects lined up, the harder part is finding people who want them and want them built/re-buit etc. Which actualy hasn't proved to be all that difficult.

Kevin

13. Hells ya. I have 14 years into mine. Damn its all done. Now what does a guy do. Thats right , start another one.

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

The build, the drive, the buddies that helped, everything else is bullshit.

15. RDR

RDR

it's been said,"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step"....you have to remind yourself of that, especially into a two year + build, when you start to HATE your project...the end result is a way big payoff with a fun driver for sure;don't give up! Yes, building them has got to be my favorite part of the hobby.....

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

From the time I was a little tyke it's been about building. I followed my grandfather around like a shadow and always was most content when we were in his farm shop repairing or building something. I started by tearing things apart. Then he started teaching me how to put things together and that's when the real fun began.
    I've got enough projects to last till the end of my days and a fully equiped shop to build them. I'm a happy guy.:):cool:

Frank

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy building them too--after they are done, then I quickly lose interest--enjoy driving them now and then but not near the fun/etc. of the build

18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

so true.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yep i like the build but i also like to abuse them :D

20. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm in for the build--especially the glory parts--there's no better feeling that good quality fabrication, panel work chop etc. and nothing like the feeling of riding a car you've built for the first time--I believe in quality even if no one but me's going to see it--it's shame that feeling doesn't last.

what I don't enjoy is the tedious fixing of piddly crap that comes with daily wear--ground wires on gauges, bad door solenoid, broken dool latch mechanisms.

21. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I love to build and hate to sell them when they are built. Gotta build another garage now.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

That's me too, but I'm down to three projects with two finished keepers that haven't seen the street in years. Most projects are sold before any wireing is needed. Having the projects is what matters to me, having them on the road is costly.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Having followed Larrys 3Window build I understand exactly how he feels, and having worked in a restoration shop for 14 years can say he is a rare, "dream customer". I can think of only one guy in those 14 years that shared the passion and vision with his car to the same degree as Larry did. :)

24. How many have gotten halfway through a build and stopped or sold the project? I think its because at about that point you've already figured things out, the more interesting and challenging stuff is done, and you are just faced with the mundane tasks of finishing it off. Boring, uncreative stuff like paint prep, wiring, finish welding.

For me the excitement has been in dreaming up the concept and figuring out how to pull it off. Once that tricky stuff is done the project starts to lose its luster. When done that first drive is pretty cool except it usually entails chasing down leaks, brakes pulling, suspension issues, etc.

25. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I will spend so much time building then when it is done and driving Ill run it into the ground. everthing get scratched up broken and run down. I dont even want to change the oil. I got the filter I dont kno I am an asshole. the model a is up on jack stands pulled out the master cylender and slave cylender and found out the linkage needs to be heated and bent. the master cylender needs a rebuild kit. and the slave cylender needs honed and rebuilt. my gas tank needs some fixing and the sending unit is not working right. I might switch to a different intake manifold. or I am thinking about putting the hilborn injection on it. if I do that I need to buy a fuel pump, bracks, lines, filter, and god knows what els. mabe I will just leave the dam thing alone and just drive it this summer. no matter what your never done. but living with out it is hard. I dont want down time. yea I like the build enough said.

26. havi

havi

For me,it's all about the hunt. Then the thought process of how to build it. Then when I'm ready to follow through, I wish for some money....until then I hunt for the next one. Such a vicious cycle.

27. knotheads

knotheads

i love the build process,but i wish the actual build went together as fast as it does when i build it in my mind!

28. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

The build isn't that what it is all about.
    Spending 40 hours to build a bracket that hold the AC pump on a 300 inline Ford 6 that no one can see when the front clip is on, but in your eye it is there and a work of art.

some day some I may even get r done and drive it.

29. Well said "good_ol_boy", adding to that is the fact my mind thinks outside of my buget? Spend 20 hours this weekend working on my 40 ford.

30. Ogri

Ogri
    from NW Georgia

In my garage, the build is what it's all about. Once I reach the point that the end is near, I tend to get depressed until I find a new project or decide to tear it all apart and change it.
    Getting out on the road is fun, but I love stretching myself to think outside of the box to make something work.