Register now to get rid of these ads!

who has used airtex fuel pumps before?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzbum, Aug 4, 2009.

1. jazzbum

jazzbum

a hamb search netted some nice reviews for the airtex electric pumps, which it seems a lot of you have used, but nothing much came up as far as their mechanical pumps were concerned. the pump i'm looking at is for a '65 ford 289 2V engine, airtex number 6838, apparently a replacement for the oe carter pump which is now obsolete (or at least the number is dead). i'd rebuild the one i have, but the rebuild kits i've found are twice as expensive as a new pump, so i don't see the point. it's the price though ($20) that scares me, just seems too good to be true. so, anyone used airtex mechanical pumps before? they decent?

2. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I used to work in a shop where we put them on all the time. It was the main brand our distributor carried. No problems. They're fine.

3. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

When i was working at Carquest, the house brand were reboxed Airtex. No problems, i would use them(and currently am) without a second thought. Cesar

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Airtex is a very old company that's been around for eons,good stuff! Go back 20-30 years you could buy SBC fuel pumps for $5.99 now the late models called a "fuel pump module assembly" list for $599.00 Good reason to still like Carbs:D

5. jazzbum

jazzbum

thanks for the input guys. nice to get a little price break every now and again from the fickle old auto parts gods.

6. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

yea, Airtex was one of the brands I had the least problems (comebacks) with when I had a shop.

I am extremely comfortable with them.

7. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

The parts store i work for supplies them, no problems at all.

8. the mechanical fuel and water pumps are good enough.

nothing but problems with the electric pumps.