Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. Hondo78

Hondo78

I still have the six in the car, I am looking for mult. carb set up for a 216 as well as a split exh manifold.

Sixes are cool- A 348 would be fun too, however the split manifold Six would be very noisy, and the six does the job.

If you want to go fast buy a big Buick or Desoto.

2. 6narow

6narow

Cool. Thanks.
    So, supposing for the moment that the cc's relate directly with the SBC, then on an average of 10cc's, that would be almost a single point of compression.

...hmmmm....
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Hondo,

Both Clifford and Offenhauser offer multi carb intakes for your 216.
    Chevy used to make a split exhaust manifold for the 'vette six and that should bolt onto your 216.
    Also, Fenton used to make a nice split exhaust manifold. Just saw one for sale. Wish I could remember where.

6narow

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

Nothing sounds better than a Six with a split manifold!!!!!!!

4. 52pig

52pig

My daily pile has one, 250, 3x1 intake, split exhaust, mild internals, 194 head, pushing a 4 speed and stock rearend. Been that way for ten years now.
    Hard to kill this loud stinky bastard.

Attached Files:

5. Brit digger

Brit digger

dont know about the v12 fella, but a don zig mag sorts my spark out...
    good engine to drag with, little pricey to have parts made but its well worth it...
    making around 450ish i think? 440 cams, 2" inlets, loads of alky.

6. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

For what its worth, I'm running a very slightly modified 215 that originally came in my '52 F-1. I'm O.K. with the power, cuz I've got another car thats a Hot Rod. Fuel Mileage is awesome, but I wish I had a fourth gear or something.

7. Mr.Dean

Mr.Dean

Damn...... I rember when this thread started in 2004. For those of you who have never seen my 29 ford roadster with the mercedes motor well here you go. love it or hate it.
    its lots of run.

Attached Files:

8. 6narow

6narow

Nice ride.
    What year is that Nova, anyway?
    Did you use the 194 head strictly for the c.r. increase, or did it just happen to be the replacement head you got for that engine?
    I notice the valve cover matches the colour of the car.
    Did you do it that way on purpose, or did the engine just happen to come that way?
    Anyway, thanks for sharing. Wish I had one.

6narow

9. airmentbob

airmentbob
    from san diego

the grocery getter 64 nova station wagon in the yard has a 194 with a 200r and some stock 3.36 gears. slow is not the word. my other ride a 55 chevy and bbc, a little quicker than the nova not much though.

10. wally55

wally55

I am going to run a 300-6 ,It's balanced with forged pistons,arp studs and some head work.And a supercharger with two two barrles.There is a C-4 tranny and 3:50 gears out back.Hope to have it running soon.Maybe I'll be able to drive it in the snow

11. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Nope. Not a real Hemi chamber. It's kidney shaped or close to a Max Wedge. Powerful engine.

The Hemi moniker was used in order to sell the car. Remember the late '60s and early '70s? The Hemi was a must have amongst the muscle car crowd.

Attached Files:

12. wolfex1

wolfex1

Seems like the true test of a hemi would be "are the valve stems parallel"? In a hemispherical combustion chamber, there is more room for larger valves than in a chamber where the valves sit side by side on the same plane. Thus, a hemi breathes better and hence, better performance. WX1

13. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

The plan for the "Studebakester" is a 292 Chevy and a 6 speed ZG tranny from a Vette. Initially it will probably run a single four barrel on a Clifford manifold with the lump port inserts (in the head as well, of course.) Eventually, it would be nice to run 3 sidedraft webers. For exhaust I will make a set of zoomie type headers exiting below the side panel. However, I may start out with the Fenton type cast iron manifolds. The cam will be a 246 Comp Cams with roller rockers (big block.)
    Incidentally, the Studebakester is a roadster/lakester style. Home built frame using 53 Studebaker sheet metal and a crazy comgloberation Hudson Terraplane grill with canted 61 Chrysler headlights molded in. So, it's a show rod kind of lakester/roadster thing-a-ma-jigger. Sounds pretty weird, huh? If I can find a decent set for a reasonable price, it will also get 61 Chrysler tailights. Unfortuantely, everyone thinks they are made of gold or something like unobtainium. Otherwise, it's getting the 56 Buick t-lights.
    Gotta have the inliner though!
    db

14. mpn

mpn

I have a 54 Desoto with a 265 Flathead Six Edmunds dual intake, Edgy head and cam, ported, custom headers, 2 speed powerflite trans

Attached Files:

15. 52pig

52pig

Hey 6narow, the car is actually primer and the engine is old blue. Just both faded and rusty.
    I chose the 194 head on purpose for sure. Put a little more squeeze in it.
    Oh and it's a '63.:)

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Edit;
    Anybody have a spare core/rebuildable head for L6 Chevy 194/230/250/292, I'm interested.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  17. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

early 194..i'll look around.
    nash,a guy called me last night said he bought 2 crates at an auction and needed help loading them. i went over today and they are 2 brand new factory crated plymouth 's. complete except carbs and water pumps. he told me he thought they would fit his forklift,i told him his was a 4 banger,he cursed and sold them to me..
    so i hope they are still good sitting in crates for 40 to 60 years!!!
    i'll uncrate one and get the castings off this weekend.

18. 6inarow

6inarow

get ahold of tlowe. he did a ton of dyno time with 292's and cam /changes head changes etc. he found some surprising results. What we usta thot aint so no more. Might be worth your time to contact him

19. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

That is a way cool ride. I remember being surprised at how much power those little flathead sixes can make. Very clean. Kudos. db

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'm going to get the lump kit from tlowe. Interesting stuff, enough to get me going on building a head. I have decided I don't need to be too articular when selecting a core.

21. 6narow

6narow

Ah, great!
    Thanks for the timely response....and I still wish I had one. ;)
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Studebakester,

:eek: That sounds like one wild ride! Can't wait to see the pics.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

MPN,

That's a really nice little DeSoto you've got. Glad to see you stuck with the 6.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Kurtis,

Thanks for the info (and the pic!). I never knew that, but that does make excellent sense.
    Funny, that pic you posted reminds me very much of a Chevy Vortec head.....hey, you don't think.......NAW! ;)

6narow

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '37 Chevy coupe. Stock 235 for now. I have a 425 Nailhead to put in eventually.
    For that matter, fenders and brakes...eventually!

[​IMG]

23. pigpin75

pigpin75

Ford 1959, F100, 223 turbo

[​IMG]

24. Twisted6

Twisted6

Sweet Pic's guys. :)

25. B Blue

B Blue

Anybody have one of the big Nash 6's? This is the OHV engine of about 250 c.i. that had two Carter side draught carbs and were used in the Nash Healey. Nash also put some in a car (can't remember the configuration, but was not a Rambler) and called it the LeMans. At least as I recall, only saw one and that was in 1961. Had a factory guarantee of 5 years years, to do 110 mph. Really was a factory hot rod, the engine would be a natural.

Bill

26. lowburban

lowburban

Years ago StreetRodder featured a modified on the cover with a jag 6 that was amazing. It was black, big Torq Thrusts on it. Was a modern rendition of a modified but I stared at that motor for hours. Anybody remember it? I'll look for the issue when I get home.

27. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

My 1936 Plymouth coupe has 230 CI (from 54 Dodge Truck). Little by little I am "enhancing it".
    Rebecca

28. 6inarow

6inarow

heres mine

Attached Files:

29. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I love the 56 Chrysler Windsor grill in there. It would be great if you could swap out the short bar for another longer one, or visa versa. It's weird how Chrysler had two long bars and one short one. (We have a 56 Windsor and that sorta bugs me.) Good idea, though.
    I'm waiting for that intake to come out. Got an ETA?
    db