Register now to get rid of these ads!

who has a secret "fund" ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Apr 29, 2010.

1. If you are married it is not MY money and HER money, it is FAMILY money!

2. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

This was one of the FIRST things my Girl and I worked out when we moved in together. We have an account for the house that we each put money into at the beginning of each month. There is a set amount that goes into the "House's account" and then we each have our own accounts. This has saved us a lot of problems I'm sure and sometimes the house is even nice enough to take us to the movies or buy us dinner!

3. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I'm not saying because my gal may find herself here sometime and then my balls would be in a sling.
    But yes. I do.

4. big creep

big creep

shit joe my girl buys me parts!

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you guys are funny. i don't lie to my wife, shit, she probably knows about the $, i don't know. i just don't offer up the info. we each have our own interests, and neither of us squaks about the other spending money really. it's just that we shouldn't spend money on frivolous things right now-and i'm not.we have joint accounts and each have our own spending money too, we don't keep track of who's spending how much and on what, we're both reasonable. and it's not like if the lights were ab out to be shutoff i wouldn't use this "spare" money.

this post is more about if you guys find ways stash "spare" cash for something you wanted long term and make it happen or not. not about lying to your wives-that was meant to be light hearted and a half joke.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  6. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Oh yeah, I forgot that part Shooter, I do some side work for cash from time to time and I've sold a bunch of stuff that I have collected over the last few years. I love selling stuff, gets crap out of the way that I was just tripping over and puts a little cash in my pocket for fun stuff!

7. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

No secret stash. There is an understanding that any money made with cars or side jobs (fabricating or what have you) gets to stay with the cars.

I do find myself trying to justify a "need" to spend from the regular fundage from time to time...

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

When I was married and had a stash, my wife knew about it. Apparantly she thought it was such a good idea she stashed away some for herself. When the divorce came along,she made me buy my '40 back from her. Near as I could tell she made off with about $15,000 that was in her "stash" as well as her half of my coupe. Yes, I love being single...

9. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I'm lucky when it comes to that, my wife is cool with me having projects. unfortunatly due to space and budget constraints I can really only have one at a time. hell whe was eyeing a clapped out old dodge panel wagon at the last swap. If I need a part for the rod and it's in the budget, no problem. Stash is public knowledge between us, maybe it's cause she makes her own money!

10. 666Irish

666Irish

I was actually the beneficiary of a secret stash once.

Went to an estate sale and bought a pallet full of parts and random junk, figuring I would be able to make some extra cash on e-bay and craigslist.
    While sorting through the nuts and bolts in about 10 different coffee cans, I dumped one out and inside it was another small can. In it was $5200. Needless to say, I was floored!

I called the auction company that ran the estate sale and asked about the family where the Estate Sale took place. After hearing that there was no surviving family, I told them about the find. They're response? "You are one lucky man! Go buy yourself something nice."

I went back to the cash and started sorting it. Included in this money were 7 $20 Silver Certificates dated 1957. I was able to sell those to a collector for $50 each. Making the grand total $5410.

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

that is an amazing score. wow.... very cool.

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

oh-so what did you buy with the $$

13. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

For the 1st 20 years i gave my wife my paychecks:D...48 now im building what i want for the next 20:) Well maybe two cars anyway hah.

Attached Files:

14. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

I think its smart to have a secret account, because some people will try and take you for everything youve got. thats security.

as to cars, dont live outside your means and there shouldnt be a problem.

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

EXACTLY! My wife knows about my stash, which, over the years, I was able to convert to a '29 Graham Paige that I'm swapping for a '54 bbc Chevy. She doesn't care, as long as the bills are paid.

And she has HER own stash, which I occasionallycontribute to. It's win/win, with no problems.:cool:

16. paintcan54

paintcan54

I had one with about $ 1,750 when the wife found it and ask what it was for, so fast dumb thinking said "it's for your birthday present"!! Well she told me that when we go to the HRR in Blowing Green we could also drive to Nashville Tn. and she would go shopping there.

17. Larjk9

Larjk9

No secrets here, but nobody else goes wanting or needing either. If I need extra, I put in the extra hours and work and earn it. She doesn't complain, but she doesn't quite understand the neccesities of the hobby. I don't understand the thing about shoes and fashion either, so it works.

18. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I don't lie, and don't ask permission.
    As long as the kids are taken care of, bills are paid, and the $$$ in the bank isn't allocated, I buy whatever I want.... so does my wife, we take turns.

Great thing about it is most women wont spend money on themselves, so when she has trouble buying something for $100.00, I have NO problem spending $1,000.00

I went thru the $$$ bullshit with the first wife, and informed the new one when we got serious that we can either be partners, or see other people because I will NEVER be told what I can spend my money on by anyone other than my children's needs, emergency's, etc.

No, I'm not rude, or disrespectful about it, just how we roll

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont know,...I've not needed to hide money..
    My wife may not be into the car scene, but she does support my love of it.
    I get car parts for christmas and birthdays, And i take care of family things first. So if i have money i've saved or not spent on other things and i buy a part i need to continue with a build, I dont get any flack.
    Besides she wants to see it done to ride in it too..she may not be into the shows , but she likes to cruise, and thats cool with me

20. prost34

prost34

I have my play money,when i sell something or make some side money my wife knows its for my cars or parts,she gets my paycheck for bills,kids,etc.,,but we also use my play money for a emergency,plus it helps if i get a chunk of cash to buy her something small from it,but she knows its my play money for my toys,sometimes she will borrow some but return it later,without interest ,lol :rolleyes:,,,,,,

21. My super fine old brother in law may he rest in peace. He told me long ago that a man needs a stash. In case he forgets a special day he can slide a bill in a card. My wife now both have some stash. I furnish it to hers from mine to keep things smooth around here.

22. 666Irish

666Irish

Wish I could say it went to a kick ass car, or a powerplant, but it pretty much went to life in general. That score came at a relatively rough time, so it went to getting me back in the black.

23. DMFB

DMFB

My wife is on the H.A.M.B. to. I can't believe ANY of you would hide ANYTHING from your wives. You shoud all be ashamed of yourselves! lol.

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

No secret stash here. I do have a clear conscience, though, and a wife who enjoys classic cars.

25. I have the side machine shop business and I do "appropriate" funds for my pet projects. Cars, model cars, tattoo work, nothing else really.

My kids are fed and clothed, bills are up to date and when we want to go out, it comes out of my pocket. I don't touch the household funds for my personal expenses. If my wife needs some $$ for whatever, I come up with the bucks. She has her own personal slush fund as well. I don't ask about it.

One of her friends husbands stashed some money in the house, in the bottom of a planter in the den. His wife did a clean up and threw out that "ugly old plant" in the corner. The amount that went with it was $9k.

Bob

26. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I can't think of a better place to INVEST my extra cash. I sold my 55 post a few years back to pay off my pickup truck when I changed jobs. I got more cash that way than I would have stashing it away. Of course it sucks to have to cut the car loose though.

27. Both of us have our own stash. Nether one ever asks what's in the others. The bills are paid every month and a little savings happens every month so there is no harm in a "stash".
    She gets a little cranky when a 3000lbs product of the "stash" shows up though:D

28. orange52

orange52

Best thing I did was setup a savings account for my car hobby. After 10 years of "we don't have the money for that stuff" I was able to save enough in just 2 years to buy my 54 Chevy. She knows its there, but doesn't ask about it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  29. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Words of wisdom from the man in Cow Town. :)

I've been married for a long, long time, and we never have any fights over money because we always talk about it before making any big purchases, regardless of who its for.

SAFU

30. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Secret? No. Stash? Yes. I have a car fund account which all my overtime money went into. When I buy something, my wife doesn't care. I've had a max of $50K in that account, but since the wife got laid off, it's twindled down pretty bad. Good news is, that since we can't eat, my wife now weights what she did in high school......LOL.