Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a Gasser style car ? Stand up and be counted !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    If your definition of a gasser is straight axle then no, but if your definition of gasser is short wheel base, "exciting" handling and fast then I got one...

[/ QUOTE ]

that would include a lot of us!

Paul

2. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

Look at Ohio Georges '34 Willys, it ran steelies with Moon discs and was stock height with a "spare tire" that was cast outta cement. He went with a tall nose in '60 because NHRA outlawed ballast(visible ballast that is [​IMG] ). That yellow Henry could be way cooler looking if it had some narrower(10")slicks and different wheels, even with the front low like that it could be a gasser(or at least run in a gas class). That coupe that "Pontiac Slim" posted isn't a gassser it would be considered an altered(I think, because it has no fenders).
    -Jesse

3. Danny

Danny

Hatch, did you ever get a ride in that beast of a Willys????

I heard the guy wasn't responsible for items left in the seat.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. hatch

hatch
    from house

And WHAT A RIDE it was!!!!

I sure hope you put seatbelts in the Nomad....maybe then I won't be leaving a souvenier on the seat.

5. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Look at Ohio Georges '34 Willys, it ran steelies with Moon discs and was stock height with a "spare tire" that was cast outta cement. He went with a tall nose in '60 because NHRA outlawed ballast(visible ballast that is [​IMG] ). That yellow Henry could be way cooler looking if it had some narrower(10")slicks and different wheels, even with the front low like that it could be a gasser(or at least run in a gas class). That coupe that "Pontiac Slim" posted isn't a gassser it would be considered an altered(I think, because it has no fenders).

Hey...
    Pontiac Slim here... your right on the coupe not being a true gasser type. At one time had the nosebled front end in and was planning on fenders but the thing gave me the frights on the streets ( corners an all). so we went this way... The "old speed farts" in these here parts dub'd the thing A/G. I had reservations as an Altered..
    Any suggestions ?????????
    Give'n up on street race'n an going to run a few Nostalgia events this year..so something should fit....
    "Pontiac Slim"

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

GOD.......it's the HAMB Gasser Group!
    Could we terrorize the streets togather or What?

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beins this thread just won't die, I'm postin' some more crap....

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 4 disks worth of pics for this car.....BUT I'll stop here..

9. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    GOD.......it's the HAMB Gasser Group!
    Could we terrorize the streets togather or What?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Right on .... !!!! Tell ya we could scare the snots out out of anythin/any-body....anytime/anyplace
    Try'n to get out of the street terrorize'n mode but hey.. I'm game..I'm ready..heads up!!!
    "Pontiac Slim"

"you'll never look into the eyes of evil... till the day he come to get you..."

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm beginning to get "sweaty-palms" thinking about old 2-lane black-top rides and races.... I think I'm up to it a few more times.

11. L B

L B
    from So Cal

I got one , but don't know how to post pics.......Can someone help me out ? ...L B

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Sure..click on 'Reply" to message, type your mesage, then click on "brouse", which opens your pictures files, find the pix you want to post and click ok. Then click continue...

13. and about the biggest it can be is 5.5-6" x 3.5-4" so you may have to resize it.

14. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm beginning to get "sweaty-palms" thinking about old 2-lane black-top rides and races.... I think I'm up to it a few more times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey...Ya wanna talk sweaty palms ?? Was involved in a steet race last summer in Mass. The whole deal was twilight zone material, anyway.. after all was said an done I got back to motel got out of the coupe and sat on the curb for two hours. Thats how long it took for blood pressure to return to normal an blood flow to return to knuckels. Was an adventure...I guess the best part was the chap I raced was an undercover cop..Lots more to the story but don't want to bore anyone...
    Pontiac Slim

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

I want to hear the "rest-of-the-story" ...........

16. BIG RIC

BIG RIC

trying to post a pic [image]http://outkasts55[/image]

17. BIG RIC

BIG RIC

I can't figure this shit out! i could e-mail them to someone and post em for me?
    I'm pretty much computer illiterate.

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

bft.. A 70's look it does had, will agree with that.. Its cool its an old racer put on the street. Doesn't really need the front sky high, just a thinner tire if he wants a 60's gasser look... its a nice car either way

talking to Flamedabone about his Henry J yeterday telling him we could do our own Blacktop run from SC to the drags, racing guys all the way.. just two guys looking for a GTO (maybe a new one) to run with....

19. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to hear the "rest-of-the-story" ...........

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey.. here goes, will try an hit the high points rather then be long wind'd
    Last spring work'n on coupe ( wiped a cam) guy comes in we yap for a while. Tells me hes got this Malibo, 427BBC drag car, runs 10'5s...( back home in the Midwest) OK...A couple a weeks later I'm replace'n something or other on the coupe he comes in again.Saz hes going to get his car, put on exhaust, street tires and 3:55s.Figures it'll run mid 11s in street trim. Wants to build a 532 Merlin BBC.. saz we can work a deal for his 427 an put it in the coupe. Now the 455 Poncho was give'n me the frights with all sorts a valve train ills so I'm think'n..
    Anyway he does get the Malibo, its a no holes bar'd drag car that is a crank'r an a half.. Now I'm really think'n about his offer...
    Got the coupe straight'n out ( another cam). We're headed for an event in Mass over July 4th. Told him to join us.
    It's about this time he tells me hes a cop..undercover no less...
    He trailers the car to Mass..Its about 9 miles from event to motel, multi lanes going North & South with lots a lights
    One nite I'm cruise'n with open headers an fools with some local, my wife was in the coupe an when I launched ,it drove her into the cage, she has a bad back so she convinced me to lay low...OK now the last nite...
    Its 1:00 AM, we head for Motel, wife reminds me to be cool.
    I'm in the 2nd lane from the right mind'n my own business when at the 1st lite... guess who it on my left? Yep..
    Wife saz.. "NO"!.... No problem.. At the next lite he saz look in your mirror. Must a been 40 cars behind us, no ones going around us either... hmmm. At the next lite he saz.."you know what there wait'n for eh?" Wife is now get'n pissed as she just knows... I set the shift lite for 5600.
    Couple a more lites still side by side go'n bout 35 MPH. A ton a cars behind us.. I'd had about enough. At the next lite a long bridge, two lanes.. sota narrow but newly paved
    hmm.. At that lite I'm Mr Cool (or try'n) one arm hang'n out the window the other on the shifter in low and yawning, we leaves the lite and just as we get roll'n I give'm the "look" an nails it...I could see that "oh shit" look on him as he wasn't ready.. We're off!..Wife is scream'n at me, I'm try'n to stay straight. I can hear him come'n!Shift lite ain't comming on, his front fender is now even with my doorhandle, Relize'n I ain't make'n no headway I upshifts ( lite still ain't on) wife is now hit'n me an scream'n to stop! Just before I hit 3rd I noticed that the Malibo was only about 12 inchs from me.was then that I realized just how narrow that bride was, but I got him by a half a fender length! We both got of of it an at the next lite he pulls along side an laughs an saz " even my badge wouldn't have got'n us out of that one" Wife swore at me all the rest of way to motel, "I ain't never get'n in that car again!"
    Well.. that was the last I heard of how fast the Malibo was. I'm keep'n the 455 Poncho, I'm help'n the cop build a street rod. He's help'n me set up the coupe for legal race'n an we use his trailer..
    Found out the next day shift lite set at 6800... da...He figures that was a mid 11 sec run..
    At thats the way it went down..
    ( year before I outran a state trooper in that same area)Pontiac Slim

20. McGrath

McGrath

"just two guys looking for a GTO (maybe a new one) to run with.... "

From what I have heard about the new GTO's, you had better be pretty quick. Nice to see GM building something like that, but they could have made it look a little more Muscular. Damned things look like something Honda would build...

21. L B

L B
    from So Cal

I don't know if mine qualifies.....Is this a gasser ?

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  22. L B

L B
    from So Cal

and the motor

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  23. AHotRod

AHotRod

EXCELLANT story, and thanks for sharing.
    GLenn

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

LB.......Hell YES that qualifies, are you kinding me?
    Tell me more about it!
    GLenn

25. unh? YA! I think it qualifies [​IMG]

26. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    EXCELLANT story, and thanks for sharing.
    GLenn

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey thanks...
    Course I won't mention that the prior year went 3 rounds street race'n at the same event but at round 4 got beat by a blown Hemi powered 31 Ford really bad. The boy toasted me hard core.. But..Thats life eh...
    Super look'n coupe ya build'n....Did I understand you have a Model A coupe ?? If so pictures...
    Pontiac slim

www.badlandscoupe.com

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here's my "A" coupe that was in Car Kulture Deluxe.

28. DrJ

DrJ

My truck has a beam axle in front and even though it's a full 11" lower now than when I bought it I can still crawl under it to change the oil and tranny fluid without jacking it up so does that qualify it as a "gasser style"? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

geezer style? [​IMG]

Paul

30. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    geezer style? [​IMG]

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, probably closer description! [​IMG]