Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who had the coolest car in school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maxwedge66, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Had a 39 deluxe coupe,taildragger,Buick Skirts,Cad hubcaps,Dual Douglass mufflers in high school...mine wasnt the coolest as a friend two years ahead of me had just bought the Sam Barris Merc....His was THE COOLEST.....Norm Monska was his name,
    1953 Worthington,Ohio was the place.............Oh!!! to be in High School again!!!!!

Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. Old Gold

Old Gold

It was the 80's so I don't think I need to elaborate:eek:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I drove a small block powered 36 Ford pickup.

4. Ice man

Ice man

I don't know about BADDEST, but we had a kid that had a 41 Ford Conv. He had it secitoned, and ran out of money so he sprayed under coating on the outside and got handfulls of gray grit from roofing shingles and through it on the fresh undercoating. Then got many bottles of white shoe polish and did the top. From 40 foot it was a real winner, dont get any closer, the welds were over laped and even the tar did not them. We dubed it the flying shingle. We laughed him out of school. Iceman

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

At 16 I bought and drove my '68 Camaro convertible to school. Lots of muscle cars in the lot but all owned by boys except mine.:D

[​IMG]

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

86 monte 350/350, 67 chevelle malibu 327/4 speed, 84 200sx turbo, 84 lazer turbo,

7. fastphil

fastphil
    from lufkin tx.

i had a 74 jensen interceptor with a 440 chrysler. man that thing was fast.wasn't quick but the top end was 150+. we lived in a dry county and the beer run was about 15 miles from the school. during summer school we would make that run and back to see who could do it the fastest.we would fly down there and the guy at the beer store was in on it.we would pull up, or should say slide up and he would throw the case it the window and we would haul ass back.my record still stands @18mins25secs...."IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING"

8. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

My first car at 17 was a 68 Chevelle SS396. Learned to drive a 4 speed from the car lot to the DMV to get my plates. Sold that & bought a 68 Camaro. Got a 62 more door Impala for $75.00 (that's right seventy five) to drive while I tore the Camaro apart. Sold the Impala, and bought a 66 Tempest with that wierd overhead cam straight 6. Never finished the Camaro after high school. There were only about 4 guys in my school with "muscle cars" (Goddamn I hate that tag) and nobody had any kind of hotrod at all. Although there was one guy who had a early 60's Plymouth wagon. Another kid had a Maveick Grabber that he thought was bad-ass until I took him for a ride in my Chevelle. Sure wish I had all those cars now.

9. i had an all original 64 catilina 2 door ht with a 389 and a 2 speed trans
    it still had the original plastic on the rear seats
    then a 69 camaro with a lt1 350 and a turbo 350
    then a 66 impala ss 283 and a glide
    then a 69 ss 396 4 speed elcamino
    i actually won best car for the senior awards, and that afternoon after the rehersal for graduation i did a "new" seal coat burn out in the parking lot and filled the gym with smoke....
    i almost didn't graduate...
    i was a jock... but i was also a skater... and a greaser.... and a don juan with the ladys
    soooo i wasn't a meat head jock
    ahhh the good old days
    tk

10. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

i went to a high school that was filled with rich kids,so driving a lowered 66 vw beetle really stood out.it was yellow with a 1776 cc motor with twin 40 idf webers.that car started a passion for buying and selling cars.since then i have owned over 20 early model vw.along with 59-60 chevys,a 56 buick,and a 64 riviera.

no i wasn't the cool kid,but i was the guy that lowered all my friends cars and trucks.

-danny

11. 54BOMB

54BOMB

My first car was a 77 Nova, it had a nice rake on it and some glasspack mufflers. When we went to look at it the guy also had a big block 68 Impala SS convertable for $15K ( in 1991 ! ) and a 70 Firebird with what seemed like a 1000hp under the hood. I really wanted that firebird but my dad didnt really want me to kill myself so we got the nova, it lasted a few months till the neighbor girl rear ended me and totaled it out. A few weeks after that I ran into another guy down the street that had just got a 68 Camaro from an estate sale, brought it home and his wife flipped, so he had to move it real quick , I had just got my insurance check from the nova and bought the camaro the same day.
    Im my highschool lot there were some muscle cars and old stuff but mainly the "cool" kids drove gigantic 4x4s with huge super-swampers and about 10,000 watts of stereo.

12. [​IMG]
    i was asked to leave high school and join the army at 17 but i rode this scoot at the time and still own it to this day , of course the motor has been swapped and its been converted to disk brakes but the bike is mostly as it was in 1975-76..

13. Cool or not, my first car was a 48 Chevy 4 door that I heated the coils on the front till it stopped dropping and put 4 inch blocke on the rear. The car was black and real slick. I put Montgomery Ward 600/16 wide whites on red wheels and drove the crap out of it. One time we had 22 kids in and on the car and drove it from the rock quarry north of town back to town. I graduated in 1959 and there were a lot of cool cars but I was not lucky enough to own one of them but we still had a ball in mine.

14. Mazooma...you are the king...what a killer rig for a high school kid...would sure like to know what a girls Dad was thinking when you rolled up with "Miracle Pies" on the side...I had a 72 chevelle SS and my Dad and my uncle thought it would be a good idea to paint a Starsky and Hutch stripe on the side...of course being a kid it took me about 3 months to blow the engine up on that one and I only had the money for a used 307 out of a station wagon but at least it still looked fast...man I wish I could get that thing back...there was a kid at one of the other high schools in town that I worked with whose dad has a chrysler dealership and they took a Superbird in on trade and this guy used to drive it to school in the snow (northeastern Indiana snow)...wonder whatever happened to that one

coming soon: rodtees.com

15. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Principal's kid had a plum crazy hemi cuda... that was the hottest by far...though he was afraid to race it.

I ran in 10th grade, 64 belaire, 69 LTD for a bit then finally, 72 Nova 350 stock which was the fastest car in school...at least of those who raced me. That's also how I learned that chevy 350's have crappy plastic timing gears.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

i had a brand new 84 camaro Z28, with centerlines. It was the coolest car in school, back then.

17. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I'm sure I did. Everett High, class of 1965. 1949 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup, flathead 6 w/ no muffler, granny low 4 speed. We mixed some water with Ivory Flakes to make a paste, used it to mask (brushed it on) everywhere we didn't want new paint, then painted it with a mop and broom: Nason Hugger Orange. Added a hood scoop made in metal shop to look like a blower/injector setup. Did a couple of other "really cool" things. From 100 feet away it actually looked sorta racy. All done as a joke. Had more fun in the 2 years I drove it than parhaps any vehicle since. Kids!!

18. Twobit

Twobit

A kid, whom I did not know, had a 1934 Ford coupe that he drained the radiator after parking in such a place that after school he could coast down hill to the gas station to refill, drove home, drained the radiator, next morning refill it, drive to school, find a convenient parking place, drain it, etc. I thought it an innovative way to beat the high cost of antifreeze. Regards, Twobit

19. Kennedy is far from cool but his high school hot rod kicks ass.

JH

Attached Files:

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

In '66, I drove a '49 Chevy 3100, the got a '54 Buick Super ($50). '67 got a '55 Nomad and by '69, I was driving a '56 Chevy wagon with a 394 olds and hydro.

21. Tony

Tony

I had my 57 belair hard top in high school..355 4 speed.. Have no clue if anyone considered it the coolest car, but to me it was.. :)
    Certainly was the only one there at the time..graduated in 92..

22. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

I drove a '48 Ford with a built flathead in high school. Not fast, but I liked it. I did know a guy back in the 80's that had a show-car quality '69 Camaro. Ran a little 327, but that's all anyone knew about it (he never opened the hood). That car killed everything on the street (big blocks, supercharged 5.0's, Grand Nationals, etc). It was only later we learned he was spraying the hell out of it. I have to remind myself that nitrous wasn't as common on the streets 20+ years ago.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Class of 1962....it was a girl. Her daddy bought her a 1958 Corvette.

One of the guys occasionally drove his dads early 30s bone stock 3w Studebaker. It had a pull down rear window shade that he drew a picture of a hand giving you the bird when it was down.

24. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I took pictures of almost nothing. I had over 60 cars by the time I graduated in '66. Not all at once, though! The best ones were:

1. Black '56 Ford Victoria 2 dr. hardtop, 312 with mild engine mods. $200

2. Purple metalflake '53? Ford F100, chopped, many body mods, purple and gold diamond tufted interior, running board covers, and bed cover, Hudson 308 mountain motor, builder and p.o. won 23 trophies with it. Traded car #4 for this one. I'd like to find out where this one went. Sold my half out to best bud David when I moved, he put an Olds in it I think.

3. '51 Ford Victoria, totally stripped of anything not needed to run, hot
    flathead, open headers, recap slicks, the headers would melt the pavement at stoplights. That was funny. Never got a ticket driving it on the street?! I traded a .22 rifle for the car and drove it home. It was a very nice original until I got it. It was one trans and axle busting fun machine.

4. '36 Huppmobile more door sedan w/ Buick 322 Nailhead. The car was free for hauling it off! The original 6 was stuffed full of mouse nests, no area was free of them. I still have one hubcap from this car.

5. '51? Crosley wagon, extended T frame, radical chop, got it unfinished, installed Buick Nailhead and Pontiac 3 speed in it. Stolen from behind high school shop. Don't know what I gave, not much. It was chopped and channeled so much your head stuck out the top.

6. A teens flat tank HD single. I think I traded a .22 rifle for this one, too. Original paint, white tires still held air when pumped up. I took it out and rode it around a little, but the timed top end was about 35-40 mph. Way too slow, so I got rid of it. Duh!

Somewhere I have one picture of the '56 Vicky that Mom took when I graduated. I never thought to take pics back then.

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

When I was in high school I drove my dad's 55 Chevy. Of course, that wasn't really cool in 1956.

26. ratster

ratster

Here's my car from high school. 1982

THEN

[​IMG]

NOW

[​IMG]

27. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

A good example of how some things get better with age.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

28. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

we had a best of class car and some rich bitch whos parents bought her a celica and then gave her 15 gs to customize it .. so she painted it orange with black rims and lambo doors .. needless to say some people shouldnt have too much money. second place was a mercedes benz suv ... figures

29. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

Are you referring to my Kennedy in Bellmore? If so, that makes me happy that I actually went there.