Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Who did I meet ? Drag racing history? Early 1960's California , Drag Master chassis's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Oct 29, 2019.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good day gentleman. @jnaki , @DDDenny , @Marty Strode and fellow California drag racing history folks. Yesterday morning , I drove up to this gentleman's shop north of me to buy a pair of Wescott rear fenders for my Dad's 1936 Ford Cabriolet. I spent about 3 1/2 hours there as he gave a tour of his hot rods, shop , pictures and his storied history as part of California 's 1960's drag racing . James Baugher. He told me that he used to work for Drag Master Chassis's building race cars and was their test driver. Later he moved up to Oregon and worked for Dee Wescott before starting his own fabrication and hot rod shop. Also, a huge point he said that Don Garlits, A gentleman named Tony as well as himself have 3 dragsters that spent time in a museum together and now all three are housed at another smaller museum. When the time came to move these three dragster's from the museum in California , he asked Big Daddy Garlits what he wanted to do. Mr. Garlits reply was that if Tony's and James rails were staying together to go and keep his (Garlits) car with them. James told me to keep in touch and he wants some of my parts. Can you knowledgeable fellows fill me in.? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Budget36, dana barlow and Speed Gems like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Obviously , I hope to learn more historical details as we go along. I caught the name of "Dean" so there are lots of hidden detail gems to be unearthed, I am sure. :)

dana barlow and Speed Gems like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there is a big article on DRAGMASTER in November 2019 issue of Hot Rod Deluxe - maybe help give you a lead to help figure out who your next best friend is

loudbang likes this.