Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which transmission would you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quicksilver8907, Oct 18, 2018.

1. So trying to find a transmission to fit the inline six 223 in my father in laws 56 Ford f100. I’ve come across a few that have already been rebuilt that I think will work but still very at this and don’t want to waste too much money. One option is a borg Warner R10 3 speed with an overdrive. Another option is one that is just listed as a 3 speed with overdrive for a 56 f100. Is there anything specific that I should be looking at like length? splines etc?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Both are R-10 OD units unless the '56 truck trans is a T-85 optional HD box, which may or may not have been available in '56. Get all related wiring, cables, KD switch, and relay when you buy - it's getting expensive. Does the truck have a trans in it now ? Got a driveshaft ? The first trans you list - could be anything, so get us some pics.
    Both lengths & splines will have to be checked, and hope a Ford truck guy will pick this up from here with some better help for you.
    Good luck ...

JeffB2 and Hnstray like this.
  3. oldsman41

oldsman41

If you are not going to beat on it and you have a good rear gear ratio I’d opt for the 56 od. Have one behind my flatty in a 51 merc and they are nice. Like 302 gmc said get all the electrics with it they ain’t cheap.

4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Ford T170 [TOD]
    Out of a mid 80's 6 Cylinder F150

edit : Photo added

TOD [top shift overdrive] 1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

84-87 F150 Fully synchronised 3 speed with overdrive

gimpyshotrods and stillrunners like this.
  6. what they said ^^^^^^^^

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. The problem is my father in law had a friend of his try to rebuild the original one that came with it so it is in a million pieces right now. So not sure if pictures would be helpful but I will try and get some.

8. gimpyshotrods and s55mercury66 like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is your approximate location?

10. deucemac

deucemac

Just to keep things straight, Borg Warner produced an R 10 and an R 11 overdrive units that were sold to several manufacturers. So the R 10 or R 11 moniker means and overdrive unit and not a transmission.

dan c likes this.
  11. The BW R10-equipped trans are what you probably want. Odds are very good that either will bolt up to your 223. There's three different transmissions that Ford equipped with R10 overdrives, any of them will be adequate behind your six. As mentioned, you do want to get all needed parts, but the critical ones are a complete trans WITH the solenoid AND governor, and the kickdown switch. The rest can be substituted with easily found replacements. And you do want to check solenoid voltage; the '49-55 units were six volt, '56-up are twelve. This should be stamped on the solenoid.

The T170 will be a harder install. You'll either need an adaptor and/or machine work to mate this with your early bellhousing. With that said, the T170 is a much sturdier trans compared to the R10 ODs. But the R10 units if driven the way they were intended and not beat on will hold up fine, plus delivering the best OD experience out there in terms of driving ease while giving excellent fuel economy.

302GMC, firstinsteele and Hnstray like this.
  12. Central CA

13. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

R10 was a 3 pinion planetary o/d and R11 was a 4 pinion planetary making it a little heavier duty, it
    was used in full size cars like Mercury. I have one in my shop I picked up at a swap meet, R11 that is.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

T170 bell pattern:
    [​IMG]
    I believe that the bellhousing that you want would be TAAK-7505, or TAAA-7505-A.

Here's a TAAA-7505-A:
    [​IMG]
    You might need a modern clutch, but that's not a bad idea, anyways. Diaphragm clutches are easier on the knee.

16. Thank you so much. How did you find those listings? Is it possible to search for transmissions for a 1956?

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am just good at Google, and have a photographic memory. Between both those, and having worked on hundreds of vehicles, I come up with a nugget or two.

Are you looking for the optional transmissions found in 1956?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. Looking for 3 speed. One with overdrive would be great though.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those will be anywhere from $300 to $2000, depending on the condition, and the sanity of the seller.

20. Yeah I was hoping to find a rebuilt one around $800 mark but it’s been difficult to find one and then I keep second guessing whether it will actually fit or not.

21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Were the narrow pattern holes added after, or did they come with that transmission? All the aluminum case transmissions I've seen only had the wide pattern drilled.

[​IMG]

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen both versions, in 100% stock vehicles.

No idea of the reasoning.

23. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

had the local aamco rebush my r10. they had no idea what it was. "what's it from?" "a '50 ford." "what are you puttin' it in?" "my '50 ford." "HUH?"

302GMC and Frankie47 like this.
  24. So I found a 3 speed out of a 64 f100. Any idea if it will work? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I thought you were looking for an overdrive.

26. Yep, that'll fit the bellhousing. The first year of the famous Toploader 3-speed, so it has the early bolt pattern you need. And it's the truck unit to boot. The bummer is the fixed output yoke, as these were designed to use a two-piece driveshaft. You'll have to 'stretch' your stock shaft probably, plus fit a slip joint. Another option is if you can get a passenger car mainshaft and tailshaft housing, you can convert this to a longer tailshaft with a conventional slip yoke.

While it's only a three-speed, this is one of the most heavy-duty ones ever built. Pontiac and Olds thought enough of them to buy a version from Ford as the 'base' trans for the early GTOs and 442s.

302GMC likes this.
  27. Ended up just buying what I could find. At least for now.

28. What is the easiest solution? Sorry this is all new to me and I’m basically googling every step.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm not real tight on Ford apps but thinking this is the trans that takes to the Jeep top shift conversion???

30. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Would this work for you?

Attached Files: