Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Trans behind 302?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62ironhead, Jun 8, 2010.

1. 62ironhead

62ironhead

I need some help. I am swapping out the straight six in my shoebox for a 302. I have access to both a C-4 and AOD transmissions. One friend tells me to use the AOD for better gas mileage. My other friend says C-4, "it's a hot rod".

What opinions or info do you guys have? Gas mileage? Installation? etc?

Thanks, in advance!

2. There have been number of threads on this recently. I have an AOD in once car and c4 in another. If you have built up your motor and your peak power is at a high RPM,the AOD might not make you happy. It will shift too early, and it's hard to manually control the gears. With a carb and AOD, you have to be super careful adjusting the kick-down cable (or whatever it's called) or the trans will eat itself in a week. The AOD has better acceleration from a stop and better mileage. They install about the same. Good luck on the switch over.

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

C-4 if good powered hotrod,AOD for a cruiser.

4. 94hoghead

94hoghead

AOD has overdrive, doesn't it? Might be better for a cruiser, C4 for a hot rod...

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The C4 is smaller, and substantially lighter. If it really is a hot rod, and the practicality aspect is not too important, the C4 is likely to be cheaper and easier, but you will have to compromise on either low-gear multiplication or rpm at cruise (maybe both). If you want to have great dig from a start and be able to loaf along on the highway as well, the AOD is your choice.

I have two cars with AOD transmissions. They run 3.90 and 4.57 rear gears and 30 inch tires. The get busy quickly from a stop, and can cruise at highway speeds easily. Both cars had C4 transmissions before, and I like the AODs better.

6. Deuces

Deuces

A 5-speed manual trans. :D

7. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

real hot rods have three pedals

8. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Agreed.

Agreed.

Loved my T-5 behind my 302...had the C4 slushbox prior...the C4 was a power robbing little bastard.

9. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I opted for a toploader personally:D...but I would say AOD if you were going for a cruiser as previously stated. The kick down lever or cable that Spyder is talking about can be a pain, but if it is a stock-ish build they arent to bad.